After Smith/Ladd Falls Apart, UFC Pays Smith Her Show/Win Money & Opts Not to Re-Sign Her

That theory makes a lot of sense and might be correct.

But why then do you think they paid her the win bonus when they declined to do so with Chiesa/Borg just a few weeks back? Is the example that if you try to unionize they will treat you better than top ten fighters even if you are mediocre?

Probably just for PR purposes, it makes them seem magnanimous by extending their generosity in a situation where they didn't have to pay her the Win bonus.

Most likely they didn't pay Chiesa and Borg, because they know they're going to get paid in the eventual lawsuit against Conrad. And since IMG bought the UFC they've been on the cheap and trying to cut costs wherever possible

UFC paid her Win/Show money even though Ladd didn't make weight and the fight was cancelled. This fulfilled the final fight of her contract and the UFC is not interested in re-signing her to a new deal.

Do you think the fact that she's outspoken about unionizing through Project Spearhead that they opted not to re-sign her to a new deal?

Possibly.

I think it also appeared to be a weak move on her part to not accept the fight.

That said, maybe deeper politics going on behind the scenes.

Maybe regardless of whether she took the fight or not, they weren't going to resign her.

Who knows. I have my opinions, but they really mean little. These things are always deeper and more complex than meets the eye

She was good enough as a fighter to be the best on a UFC card... that's what getting a FOTN award victory means.

She's a journeyman fighter, I think Inga's assessment of her is fair and accurate

She could have gotten an extra 5k plus 20% on her way out.

lol @ those in that other thread talking about "she's thinking long term"
Speaks volumes of her not being confident that she would win the fight though.

Maybe she knew they weren't going to resign her regardless of whether she won or lost.

In that case, taking the win / show and not fighting at all would be the best move..In spite of It appearing to be a bitch move on the surface.

Probably played a part in it.
I mean she was scared if she lost she wouldn't be sign or get a good deal. She wasn't scared of Aspen she fought cyborg...
Didn't matter either way. UFC do what they want. Not a bad fucking deal to get show AND win. The Conor bus victims just got there show.

Speaks volumes of her not being confident that she would win the fight though.

Maybe she knew they weren't going to resign her regardless of whether she won or lost.

In that case, taking the win / show and not fighting at all would be the best move..In spite of It appearing to be a bitch move on the surface.

I have mixed feelings about your opinion. Part of me says yea she should have taken the fight, but why do any favors for the UFC considering she probably knows they aren't going to resign her. If she takes the fight she can lose and take damage, might as well leave and get paid without the possibility of a loss and getting hurt

Cyborg fight removed for obvious reasons.... she's won her last 3....

Yes, there's no doubt about it, something else going on.

I'd say the union thing is a fair speculation.

Last edited:
She could have gotten an extra 5k plus 20% on her way out.

lol @ those in that other thread talking about "she's thinking long term"
ikr crazy. She probably would have fucked up Aspen and got a KO bonus too.

She's a journeyman fighter, I think Inga's assessment of her is fair and accurate
<{cruzshake}><{nope}>

One does not get rid of a fighter for being a poor fighter if she is exciting enough to get a FOTN victory followed by a TKO victory in her last two outings. Still the UFC would be disappointed? C'mon, that assessment is clearly ludicrous.

I'm going to disagree
What do you call it? If she didn't fight out her contract and she's no longer under contract....

Smells like a cut to me and she should've seen it coming and just took the fight. And that's coming from someone who is STRONGLY in favor of worker's (fighter's) rights.

I have mixed feelings about your opinion. Part of me says yea she should have taken the fight, but why do any favors for the UFC considering she probably knows they aren't going to resign her. If she takes the fight she can lose and take damage, might as well leave and get paid without the possibility of a loss and getting hurt
Yeah, I feel ya. My initial opinion was actually going off on her, I just think you're a fighter. Why are you even doing this? It's 1-2 pounds, you take the fight. If you don't, It just looks like a bitch move and there's really no way to come out of it looking good.

Now my opinion Is pretty mixed as well. If that's the case, I can understand why she took the money and ran.

Probably deeper politics behind the scenes.

What do you call it? If she didn't fight out her contract and she's no longer under contract....

Smells like a cut to me and she should've seen it coming and just took the fight. And that's coming from someone who is STRONGLY in favor of worker's (fighter's) rights.

Sounds like they bought out the remainder of her contract. If you get cut you don't get paid

She was only there as a sacrificial lamb for Ladd. She was gonna get cut anyway.

Yeah, I feel ya. My initial opinion was actually going off on her, I just think you're a fighter. Why are you even doing this? It's 1-2 pounds, you take the fight. If you don't, It just looks like a bitch move and there's really no way to come out of it looking good.

Feel the same way though now. If that's the case, I can understand why she took the money and ran.

Probably deeper politics behind the scenes.

Agreed, there is definitely some politics behind the moves made.

<{cruzshake}><{nope}>

One does not get rid of a fighter for being a poor fighter if she is exciting enough to get a FOTN victory followed by a TKO victory in her last two outings. Still the UFC would be disappointed? C'mon, that assessment is clearly ludicrous.

There has been plenty of guys with FOTN, doesn't mean they're good fighters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back