After Smith/Ladd Falls Apart, UFC Pays Smith Her Show/Win Money & Opts Not to Re-Sign Her

yes

it did

It couldn’t have.

Unions only apply to employees, and as uncle Dayna has made clear, ufc fighters are independent contractors.

Can’t have an “anti-union animus” if there can never be a union of employees.

Damn, UFC playing Hardball as usual. Smh "If you are gonna take a shot at the king, you better not miss."
giphy.gif

<{cruzshake}><{nope}>

One does not get rid of a fighter for being a poor fighter if she is exciting enough to get a FOTN victory followed by a TKO victory in her last two outings. Still the UFC would be disappointed? C'mon, that assessment is clearly ludicrous.
Her paycheck and the fact that Leslie is 4-3 are reasons for the UFC not to re sign her. The deal breakers where her union effort and not taking this fight.

hahaha. most definitely they didn't re-sign because of that. smart by the ufc. but she will get win money? the guys that mcgregor fucked 2 weeks ago only got show money. but hey, that's the ufc for you

Trying to unionize was the lion's share. But she also didn't take a fight when it is more or less standard to do so in this type of situation. Also, she isn't a good fighter.

Nice gesture by the UFC to give her the win bonus. They should have done the same during the Irishmen Gone WIld incident.

<This7>

They gave her the win money so it doesn't seem like she was outright cut. Which she was.

Not taking this fight was obviously a mistake.

UFC just protecting themselves legally here

UFC paid her Win/Show money even though Ladd didn't make weight and the fight was cancelled. This fulfilled the final fight of her contract and the UFC is not interested in re-signing her to a new deal.

Do you think the fact that she's outspoken about unionizing through Project Spearhead that they opted not to re-sign her to a new deal?

That's the main reason and also she's a shit fighter. This is probably in her favor because now she could probably get picked up by Bellator without a likely loss and getting that win money. This was a win for her IMO.

There has been plenty of guys with FOTN, doesn't mean they're good fighters

And you are going to tell me that the UFC would rather have a boring fight by "good" fighters, over a fight so entertaining as to be awarded FOTN by them? They give FOTN and POTN awards precisely to reward fighters giving the UFC the kind of fights that the UFC wants to get from fighters. It is an incentive system.

She's a can, an outspoken can at that.

Yeah dumb move by her. They got what they needed from her (record padding) and the UFC isn't desperate to keep her around. There is always another women outside the UFC with a padded record they can sign.

And you are going to tell me that the UFC would rather have a boring fight by "good" fighters, over a fight so entertaining as to be awarded FOTN by them? They give FOTN and POTN awards precisely to reward fighters giving the UFC the kind of fights that the UFC wants to get from fighters. It is an incentive system.

No what I'm saying that winning one FOTN honors doesn't qualify as being a good fighter

hahaha. most definitely they didn't re-sign because of that. smart by the ufc. but she will get win money? the guys that mcgregor fucked 2 weeks ago only got show money. but hey, that's the ufc for you

I think the ufc is waiting on pending lawsuits that are sure to come because of Conors actions. Paying them was a precautionry step in the first part of this legal episode thats coming. To me it would have made more sense to pay them win money as well but i think they know they're gonna have to come outta pocket even more to those guys that got hurt and maybe even a few others if they join the suit

No what I'm saying that winning one FOTN honors doesn't qualify as being a good fighter

But it does mean that one is the kind of fighter the UFC wants, which is more relevant to the actual topic of this thread and the context of the discussion. FOTN and POTN awards are given as incentives to fighters, by the UFC, in order to get more of the kind of fights that the UFC wants.

You are obviously a fan of hers and can't accept the truth. Being an exciting fighter is great but that doesn't mean Smith is not a journeyman or worth the incredible hassle.

A low level fighter with a mediocre record who is openly vocal against the company (and encouraging others to be as well) just refused to take a fight because of less than a pound of weight so the UFC paid her out so she will quietly leave... and you think they'll miss her because she won a FOTN once? That is beyond delusional

But it does mean that one is the kind of fighter the UFC wants, which is more relevant to the actual topic of this thread and the context of the discussion. FOTN and POTN awards are given as incentives to fighters, by the UFC, in order to get more of the kind of fights that the UFC wants.

Sure, but that doesn't make her exempt from the ufc not wanting her if she isn't especially good

Her gamble didn’t pay off
Bad idea, bad idea to talk shit about pay and all the other stuff she did

UFC hates cancelling fights more than they hate people who complain about pay

She did herself in, horrible decision making

Back