Adam Wingard's THE WOODS Is Actually a BLAIR WITCH Sequel (Official Trailer Released)

If you have seen BLAIR WITCH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I was having a tough time coming to terms with how I felt about this movie (how much did I WANT to like this vs. how much did I REALLY like it), but I think you summed it up. It's weird that for how much this movie felt like a rehash of The Blair Witch Project, the new stuff made it almost feel like they could have just made it a stand-alone film.

That being said, I think I'm more forgiving of it just because I felt the movie finished strong. If things were reversed and the movie started off great and finished like shit I'd be much more harsh on it, but because it left me on a high note, I'm willing to let go of some of the things that bothered me. Book of Shadows is proof that this could have been handled a LOT worse.

That stick figure scene, though...

Agreed.

I could've been more complimentary to it; I'm still soaking in the last ten minutes; I just can't help but feel it was giving answers to questions I didn't really want answered.

It ummed and arred getting to what was, basically, the exact same finish as the original, but with a little mythology shattering added in (as I saw it).

In truth, it probably was as good as it could've been, comparing it to the original and with all that's come in between.

A decent horror/not a blasphemous shot at the original.

I was having a tough time coming to terms with how I felt about this movie (how much did I WANT to like this vs. how much did I REALLY like it), but I think you summed it up. It's weird that for how much this movie felt like a rehash of The Blair Witch Project, the new stuff made it almost feel like they could have just made it a stand-alone film.

That being said, I think I'm more forgiving of it just because I felt the movie finished strong. If things were reversed and the movie started off great and finished like shit I'd be much more harsh on it, but because it left me on a high note, I'm willing to let go of some of the things that bothered me. Book of Shadows is proof that this could have been handled a LOT worse.

That stick figure scene, though...

Interested in your view; glad you got a buzz from the finish, but for me it felt like I was watching REC, and all the other modern found footagers that had demons/zombies charging at the POV, the moment this movie did it, it totally became run of the mill, not that scary and was no longer a BW movie to me.

In anticipation for this, I read many were clamouring to see the actual witch; but the mythology and genius of the original was that we DID NOT SEE the witch. Again, could they have done this sequel without showing more, I don't know, but its the biggest reason I cant love this film.

Though, amusingly, this does remind me of the story about how Sanchez and Myrick were shopping around for special effects in prep for TBWP, that they couldn't afford in the end; presumably to do witch special effects. And its kinda by chance that the main genius of the movie ie fear of what was not seen, was by chance rather than planning.

I didn't think about REC until reading what you said, but in hindsight I can see how someone would make that comparison. It does make me appreciate the original in its minimalist approach even more, but I also appreciate that this one took some chances as opposed to fully copying that less is more mentality. It does hurt the mystery of things that I wish remained unanswered/weren't expanded upon, but watching it in a theater I can't deny that the last act was tense enough for me to forget about those flaws until looking back on it now.

Either way, I can say with confidence that I don't regret having seen it but I can see why the movie would be polarizing.

I've been seeing a lot of people online respond positively to it. Like a lot of people saying they were expecting it to be bad but it was actually decent or good. Apparently the ending is a lot of ppls fav part of the film lol. Anyways other people gettin excited about it got me excited.

I've read a lot of it is predictable and rehashes a bit of the original (was that not obvious from the trailers? Lol), but eh I can live with that. Can't wait to see now o:

not sure if tru but read u see the witch approaching a guy in the movie? damn !!!

Would have been a better movie if they ditched the witch and brought out Bigfoot.

It was such a piss poor rehash. Fake jump scares galore for the first half of the film. Key plot points like a particular character's injury are just completely abandoned and deemed utterly pointless. The tunnel scene was a time filler and some of the acting (Lane) was just hilariously atrocious. It was nice seeing the house again, still has the creep factor going for it and I like how they added to the lore of the stick figures (Best scene, you'll know which one). The ending was an outrageous display of donkery.

I've been seeing a lot of people online respond positively to it. Like a lot of people saying they were expecting it to be bad but it was actually decent or good. Apparently the ending is a lot of ppls fav part of the film lol. Anyways other people gettin excited about it got me excited.

I've read a lot of it is predictable and rehashes a bit of the original (was that not obvious from the trailers? Lol), but eh I can live with that. Can't wait to see now o:

not sure if tru but read u see the witch approaching a guy in the movie? damn !!!

Will neither confirm or deny your spoiler tag, but do you think seeing said thing makes it more or less scary?

Less in my opinion.

Fear of imagination trumps all

Will neither confirm or deny your spoiler tag, but do you think seeing said thing makes it more or less scary?

Less in my opinion.

Fear of imagination trumps all
Idk. I think it depends on the film, how it's done, and what the creature looks like. Some imagery fucks me up n got me worried when I'm laying in the dark o:

Idk. I think it depends on the film, how it's done, and what the creature looks like. Some imagery fucks me up n got me worried when I'm laying in the dark o:

If a horror movie has me afraid to turn lights off and go to bed (like the first one did); I know its a great horror movie.

I slept just fine at night after watching this one; I think you'll be just fine. Also sounds like you want to like it, therefore, I think you will.

Go ahead and see it in the cinema

If a horror movie has me afraid to turn lights off and go to bed (like the first one did); I know its a great horror movie.

I slept just fine at night after watching this one; I think you'll be just fine. Also sounds like you want to like it, therefore, I think you will.

Go ahead and see it in the cinema
Lol, well, I get excited for things but always remind myself to not expect anything great. At the very least even if something is bad you can usually still have a bit of fun watching it. Unless it's just the worst film ever xD lol (The Gallows, ahem).

Unfortunately tho I don't have a theatre so I'll be waiting to see this one ): . . . And stalking this thread in the meantime x:

The last time I can remember a movie scaring me was the night of the living dead remake at the movie theatre and I was 9 years old...movies nowadays are soft as bags of sand

Geez, really? I was bored stiff after watching the first one. Massive disappointment.

Already had one piece of shit sequel

I actually went to the theater for that shit

#NeverForget

book-of-shadows-blair-witch-2-watching-the-tapes.jpg

I actually enjoyed this and own it in 3 formats.

Wasn't fool enough to go to the theater to see it though.

Lol, this film is one of my guilty pleasures. Tho I wouldn't go so far as to get it in three formats. I just recorded it on VHS and watched it repeatedly xD

Lol, this film is one of my guilty pleasures. Tho I wouldn't go so far as to get it in three formats. I just recorded it on VHS and watched it repeatedly xD

I bought it on VHS and DVD. Got it for free on VUDU when I signed up. I will never be without it.

Never.

lol, i liked it too, or I liked a lot of its ideas.
i heard that the director made a different movie but the studio made him put out this bad movie

really cool ideas about what is real and not

lol, i liked it too, or I liked a lot of its ideas.
i heard that the director made a different movie but the studio made him put out this bad movie

really cool ideas about what is real and not

Just the concept, I know I didn't do this but there I am on film in fact doing just this, is kind of terrifying. Some good imagery too.

Just watched this, gonna type here before I fall asleep lol.

Not gonna lie, I think I liked the original sequel more than this one x:

My first complaint (lol I have many), is the usage of the cliche found footage tape "glitches". First it was the audio messing up, then the video as well. And it was used SO MUCH. Why do films do this? It's just annoying. Also I didn't feel like it fit into a Blair Witch film. The original didn't pull this shit. Didn't need to.

I didn't like how fast things progressed. Idk maybe it's just me but I didn't feel any build up of tension. It was one thing right after the other and . . . Eh. Tbh none of what happened was interesting either lol.

One of the things that worked in the first was that it seemed realistic, like the type of situation you could find yourself in. Lol I mean like, just getting lost in woods. Running out of food and other supplies. Etc. They got lost, yeah. But the fuck is with this time shit, and it being dark 24/7? Felt dumb lol.

Spending time in the house was kinda interesting. But still felt boring. Guess I was waiting for something exciting to happen but it was all meh xD

Also I get so annoyed when somebody in a horror movie gets "hurt". Bogging ass cliche /:<

Prolly more but fuck it

Just watched this, gonna type here before I fall asleep lol.

Not gonna lie, I think I liked the original sequel more than this one x:

My first complaint (lol I have many), is the usage of the cliche found footage tape "glitches". First it was the audio messing up, then the video as well. And it was used SO MUCH. Why do films do this? It's just annoying. Also I didn't feel like it fit into a Blair Witch film. The original didn't pull this shit. Didn't need to.

I didn't like how fast things progressed. Idk maybe it's just me but I didn't feel any build up of tension. It was one thing right after the other and . . . Eh. Tbh none of what happened was interesting either lol.

One of the things that worked in the first was that it seemed realistic, like the type of situation you could find yourself in. Lol I mean like, just getting lost in woods. Running out of food and other supplies. Etc. They got lost, yeah. But the fuck is with this time shit, and it being dark 24/7? Felt dumb lol.

Spending time in the house was kinda interesting. But still felt boring. Guess I was waiting for something exciting to happen but it was all meh xD

Also I get so annoyed when somebody in a horror movie gets "hurt". Bogging ass cliche /:<

Prolly more but fuck it

Spot on criticisms.

As I've said, Winguard and Barrett have missed the point of what was so good about the version by Myrick and Sanchez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back