A 5'7 Man could be HW Champ in 1920; 5'10 man can't even be on Tennis tour in 2017

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A 5'7" man was a guy like Sam Langford, universally regarded as a top 10 boxing HW of all time. Jack Johnson ducked this guy.

24meujm.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2017 a 5'10 man can't even compete in a major tennis tournament. You have to look around rank 100 to find more than one under 6' guy.

Why has height become so important that you can't even be an under 6' tennis player anymore?

so your question is about tennis? or mma?

because a 5'10 man could potentially be heavyweight champion still

am i being trolled?

what the fuck man.

so your question is about tennis? or mma?

because a 5'10 man could potentially be heavyweight champion still

am i being trolled?

what the fuck man.
No, I can tell you it's much easier to play tennis at 5'8" than getting the piss beaten out of you by a 6'6" giant. I mean, what's going on?

I wanted to post in a tennis thread on a mma forum. That is all.

see you in the dump

Because of the extra range that height and length give you. Assuming that these tall guys have extraordinary speed and coordination for their size, it's a huge advantage. Big guys in the past were probably to clumsy and awkward to compete with 5' 10". You can also hit the serve with much more power in a more linear fashion instead of spinning it over the net. The serve is crucial in men's tennis.

The average height of men has grown since the 20s. Maybe it's not so much that height is such a great advantage as that shortness is less frequent. Maybe that makes it more of a disadvantage than before, but (as others are already pointing out) it's certainly not a disqualification. Tell Mike Tyson that, if you're not choosy about how your ear looks afterwards.

leg and arm length are very useful in tennis

in boxing as long as you're able to get inside its not that important

Wasteland...

look at global sports like soccer.....try to follow a tiny sherpa for a day as a big man. Then reassess your height thing.

I'll bite though I'm not sure about the trolling attempt...
Ultimately... PEDs... You wouldn't see that many 6'3+ muscular, athletic (cardio etc.) guys without them.
For the smaller guys (assuming natty since it's "easier") I'm not sure... Maybe training methods have gotten much better thanks to science, empiric evidence and all that, but it's also quite possible that in the end it's just a small percentage of the equation (ie. your potential can be improved but still not enough to compensate for genetics).

5'10" Nishikori is ranked #9. Other short dudes in top 100: Goffin, Fognini, Ferrer, Schwartzman (probably shortest at 5'7"), Darcis, Sela, Bagdahtis, Evans..

Last edited:
Fabio Fognini
Italian tennis player
Fabio Fognini is an Italian professional tennis player and the current Italian No. 1. His career-high singles ranking is world No. 13, achieved in March 2014, and world No. 7 in doubles, achieved in July 2015.
Born: May 24, 1987 (age 30), Sanremo, Italy
Height: 5′ 10″
Nationality: Italian
30VR7Ice.jpeg

evolution, women are selectively not breeding with manlets.

there are multiple tennis players ranked top 20 in the world below 6'

Back