8 years with my instructor...and we parted ways

I had to forge my association head's signature for my first IBJJF card, because I was in Brazil and we didn't have internet, or a scanner, and he was in a different city in Brazil. I can't remember if I get his permission first or not. I don't think I've ever had to get another signature when my card lapses to reregister, but I'm not a black belt.

But I know other people that forged signatures out of convenience for out of town instructors, and it caused a shit storm because the IBJJF actually followed up on it and called the instructor haha.
I don't need a signature for renewals, just pay the fee. BUT this official certification is the issue at hand now. Once I get over this hurdle just continue to hand over the fee's...yay.

But I know other people that forged signatures out of convenience for out of town instructors, and it caused a shit storm because the IBJJF actually followed up on it and called the instructor haha.

Yeah this has happened to a few people I know. I think they must have some sort of workflow on the applications where it routes for verification with the guy that signed it.

I'd guess like 90%+ of the sigs floating around on these were not wet signed by the guys themselves anyway. So I don't think they are actually checking the indecipherable squiggle lines that are put on these. It's got to be some sort of external check to get you a yes/no.

Pretty sure you also don't need to keep getting signed every year to stay at the same rank. Once you're signed, it's good. It's just moving up that you need the approval one time.

I emailed them asking that question and they said "You do not need to be certified to compete." I re-phrased the question and got "you are able to compete now if you would like."

The language barrier is definitely getting in the way.

You could try being persistent in English that you would like to get certified. Sometimes it just takes a few emails to get it across.

Other thing you could try is translating into Portuguese underneath. If you have a friend who speaks, that is the best. Otherwise try to keep it simple and use Google translate. If you speak Spanish or know someone who does, it's pretty close so with the help of Google translate you can probably make some sense in Portuguese if stick to simple sentences.

Well I sent him an email asking if he would sign...so lets see how this goes. ;-/

I emailed them asking that question and they said "You do not need to be certified to compete." I re-phrased the question and got "you are able to compete now if you would like."

The language barrier is definitely getting in the way.

Just email them and explain what you want and your situation.

You want register your team and you want to get certified.

They will tell what they require.

I had to go through the same process for my friend who went straight to 1 degree black belt ibjjf certified because he did not want to get his bb certification when we were affiliated.

lechien does our time count towards degrees as long as we are black belt members with an active card? Or do we have to be certified?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what certification get us. Also you're saying we don't need another signature on another form if we already have the membership card?

He told me "send it over, I appreciate you thanking me (I told him I appreciated all the years he believed in me etc, which I do), I'll get it turned around quickly".

Everything is gravy, really glad to be moving in my direction and having the support of him

Wow that's awesome. Have to say I wasn't expecting that.

Your instructor sounds like a real solid dude.

lechien does our time count towards degrees as long as we are black belt members with an active card? Or do we have to be certified?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what certification get us. Also you're saying we don't need another signature on another form if we already have the membership card?

Yes, this is what happened to my friend.

Now he is 5 months away of getting his 2 degrees certified.

I have another 2 years for my second.

But we finally close to our goal.

Which is freedom from any affiliation

Last edited:
This thread just reaffirms my belief that bureaucracy ruins everything. :p

But congrats on the new gym Nate! Huge step up.

Back