8 years with my instructor...and we parted ways

did you bring some good potato salad to assuage them...

I have the individual membership. Right now I only have 1 guy competing IBJJF events. He doesn't care about teampoints/etc. so we can just sign him up under Globetrotters, collect his medal and move on. Maybe next year as more of my guys get seasoned I'll register the academy (and keep my membership card up to date).

I think you're good as long as you have the current membership. You just need to make sure you don't let it lapse if you think you might ever want to be signing stuff down the line. You don't want your six years to be up and then have your time not count because you weren't a member.

lechien knows this stuff a little more exactly so he can probably clarify whether your individual membership is good enough to keep the clock running.

I get the feeling you'll be registering your own academy next year anyway because you're probably going to get bounced from being registered under your current instructor. I can't say that for sure, but I'd bet on it from the experience of others in the similar situations.

Globetrotters doesn't work well for brown/black. Everybody always tries that first. Just doesn't really work that way. IBJJF tends to bounce you from that too.

It sounds like things worked out relatively well with your old instructor. I have certainly heard worse parting ways stories. Hopefully things will continue to work out well for you, your family, and your school.

Actually, it is only $70 to register for the first time. Then you do not have to renew unless you want to be on their website or need to change some details.

Nate, you can use my IBJJF registered team name if it can help meanwhile, i don't mind.

from IBJJF:

"
Dear Professor,

You are not required to renew your academy registration every year if you are not making any changes, but you will only receive a new certificate and be listed on www.ibjjf.com as a 2017 registered academy if you renew.

If you do not renew your academy registration, your students will still be able to register for tournaments under your name, but the academy will not show up on the list of 2017 registered schools at www.ibjjf.com/registered/.
cleardot.gif

Surprised they bounce people from globetrotters.

I guess I'll register sloth Bjj and when I renew my card and start the certification for my blackbelt switch to that.

Join catchjitsu.

I was expecting something dramatic. I guess "cutting ties" has a much more negative connotation to me.

Anyway, it sounds like everybody is happy and you did the right thing. Good luck!

Are Ralph and BJ friendly or are you going off of the youtube video of a really awkward phone call between the two?
From what I understand, they spoke after the video was filmed. While they haven't met face to face, it appears that Ralph has let it be and moved on.

Surprised they bounce people from globetrotters.

It's because it's a blatant end around the intended purpose of the registration. The idea is that all participants are members and so are their gyms. People in BJJ like to say this is super greedy and corrupt, but it's no different in Judo or any other sport with a federation. In Judo all the regular members pay a small yearly fee (like $30-$40 the same as IBJJF) and all clubs have to be members too (fee is a little higher for a club). So that's what IBJJF intends with the system as it is.

There have been other end around loop holes in the past too that got cracked down on. Relson used to okay anyone who went under his team name, and it was a pretty well known way to use that to avoid actually registering as intended. But of course IBJJF eventually stopped this too.

I've never seen any brown/black actually registered as Globetrotters at any IBJJF tournament. Maybe they have some browns, but it must be super rare.

My buddy just got back from their camp in Maine, and it was specifically mentioned that they have zero black belts registered under the organization. Maybe the head guy is but no one under him. So yes it's super obvious when black belts try to put that down, and the IBJJF does check the apps at black belt a lot more thoroughly than you might think.

So in short Globetrotters really won't solve any IBJJF registration problems. They don't even care about the IBJJF really. They had their last camp during the Worlds, and no one was even interested in watching or following along at all.

Thanks for the info. I have another avenue if needed I can go down.

No problem bro. Good luck with everything. Let me know if there's ever any way I can help out. We need more good guys in the game.

Plus we Americans need to stick together. We all know how crazy it is to try to navigate the IBJJF waters in English.

Oh and lechien in NZ too is always clutch in explaining the IBJJF workings for us in English.

You know what buddy? No one owns jiu-jitsu. You paid your dies through the years figuratively and literally. It's ok for you to be your own man. You have a great vision for youracademy and I can see you blowing up. Holler when you're in town, or I will when. I'm in DFW

Sometimes people grow in different directions. It does not mean that anyone is wrong or bad. As long as you left in good terms it's cool.

Thanks for sharing your philosophy. FWIW, if I had a school, your way would be the way I would run it.

No problem bro. Good luck with everything. Let me know if there's ever any way I can help out. We need more good guys in the game.

Plus we Americans need to stick together. We all know how crazy it is to try to navigate the IBJJF waters in English.
Do you know if when I get IBJJF Certified I have to go get my instructors signature again for the application or just do the other stuff on the list? Would be awkward to head back to him and be like"...hey.... yeah....can you sign this bro?"

From the IBJJF Website:

First, you need to provide us the following documents:

– Black Belt Certificate Application form - I went thru this to get my BB Card I think?

– Must be signed by the black belt instructor you graduated from
– Professor must have 2 degrees or more

– Membership Application Form
– Certificate of a CPR course
– IBJJF Rules Seminar Certificate of Completion (completed in the last 12 months)
– Copy of a valid photo ID (Driver License, Passport etc.. );

Hmm that I am not 100% on. The IBJJF has gotten better about answering stuff in English, so you can email the [email protected] and ask. That's probably the most direct way.

What I'd specifically say is that your instructor is not currently available to sign your black belt certificate application form, although he has previously signed your membership card. As a current member, do you need another signature to apply for the certificate? And if a 2+ degree signature is needed, can it be someone other than your instructor who previously signed?

These situations come up and there's always a way to solve it provided everything is legit. So I'd just ask and see what they say.

By the way the issue that I mentioned previously about how you would likely have to register under your new team next year is on the site: "15. If I have changed my academy, do I need to renew my membership?
If you are an athlete who is required to have a membership and you have changed academies, you will need to renew your membership under the new academy and have your new professor sign the membership form to confirm the changes. Once you have renewed under the new academy, you will be able to start registering for tournaments under the new academy."

I had to forge my association head's signature for my first IBJJF card, because I was in Brazil and we didn't have internet, or a scanner, and he was in a different city in Brazil. I can't remember if I get his permission first or not. I don't think I've ever had to get another signature when my card lapses to reregister, but I'm not a black belt.

But I know other people that forged signatures out of convenience for out of town instructors, and it caused a shit storm because the IBJJF actually followed up on it and called the instructor haha.

Hmm that I am not 100% on. The IBJJF has gotten better about answering stuff in English, so you can email the [email protected] and ask. That's probably the most direct way.

What I'd specifically say is that your instructor is not currently available to sign your black belt certificate application form, although he has previously signed your membership card. As a current member, do you need another signature to apply for the certificate? And if a 2+ degree signature is needed, can it be someone other than your instructor who previously signed?

These situations come up and there's always a way to solve it provided everything is legit. So I'd just ask and see what they say.

By the way the issue that I mentioned previously about how you would likely have to register under your new team next year is on the site: "15. If I have changed my academy, do I need to renew my membership?
If you are an athlete who is required to have a membership and you have changed academies, you will need to renew your membership under the new academy and have your new professor sign the membership form to confirm the changes. Once you have renewed under the new academy, you will be able to start registering for tournaments under the new academy."
I emailed them asking that question and they said "You do not need to be certified to compete." I re-phrased the question and got "you are able to compete now if you would like."

The language barrier is definitely getting in the way.

Back