5 nightmare HW match-ups for Daniel Cormier (past & present)

He'd probably fight him like he fought Mir. Even if he didn't, Nog will never catch a DC with a sub.

2 problems.

Nogueira's boxing was better.
His cardio was infinitely superior.

If DC fights fights like he always does on the ground, and leaves his arms where he always leaves them, he gets subbed. There's no other way around it.

Cain is the absolute worst matchup for DC.

Against anyone else in the history of the HW division I'd probably pick him over all but Fedor.

Overeem would spend the fight on his back, add in a glass chin and terrible cardio...

Good luck taking Overeem down when he isn't hurt and the chances of Cormier outstriking Overeem on the feet are slim to none

Prime DC would very likely wreck pretty much any version of Reem.

I'd give him Big Nog by decision, too.

Cro-Cop presents interesting challenges for DC... but DC presents interesing challenges for Cro-Cop. Result? Interesting fight.

I think DC has a speed advantage over Werdum, but it's a little like the Cain fight... if DC is unwilling to go to the mat at all, Werdum probably wears him out with the thai plum... much better to go to the ground and try to avoid subs... but that's a dangerous game, too. Edge Werdum.

Fedor is DC but faster, stronger, with one punch KO power, and with subs. So clearly Fedor.

Prime Mirko kills Cormier.

BTW... I think Cormier passed his prime a few years ago too.

Which wrestlers are we talking about? dc is far superior for example to randleman, barnett (who dc wiped out) or coleman (who was 40 when crocrop fought him).

Those are the "wrestlers" he beat and none are even close to dc in skillset.

Crocrop is the easiest of the 5 for dc, at least werdum and big nog have subs off their backs.
Every now and then similar thread appears, and I have to write that Cro Cop beat the best wrestlers: Coleman, Radleman, Barnett, Ron Waterman, Heath Herring, Fujita, Nagata, Sakuraba + WWE champion Dos Caras (Alberto del Rio) + RINGS guys Kanehara and Yamamoto.
Mirko beat all the best wrestlers of his era, except Kerr and Couture because they never fought. It's a shame for UFC and 2007, Cro Cop should have fought Couture after Sanchez, Gonzaga fight was really not necessary, and I am sure he would have beat Couture too.
Even if DC takes him down, in PRIDE rules with no fence pushing and no elbows, Cro Cop is not in a big danger, just pull guard, wait for restart and kick his ass like he beat all those other wrestlers.

Last edited:
IMO:
DC vs Bignog- 60/40 DC
vs Mirko - 70/30 Mirko
vs Ubereen- 60/40Reem
vs Doom- 55/45 Doom
vs Fedor - 60/40 Fedor

Prime DC would very likely wreck pretty much any version of Reem.

I'd give him Big Nog by decision, too.

Cro-Cop presents interesting challenges for DC... but DC presents interesing challenges for Cro-Cop. Result? Interesting fight.

I think DC has a speed advantage over Werdum, but it's a little like the Cain fight... if DC is unwilling to go to the mat at all, Werdum probably wears him out with the thai plum... much better to go to the ground and try to avoid subs... but that's a dangerous game, too. Edge Werdum.

Fedor is DC but faster, stronger, with one punch KO power, and with subs. So clearly Fedor.

I'm not convinced DC has a good enough sub defense to decision Nog. Fedor was constantly shaking off kimuras and triangles. I doubt DC could do the same, especially when he tends to put his arms in positions that could easily get him subbed.

I also give a clear edge to Nog on the striking. He may not have been heavy handed but his boxing was good enough to deal with DC and his cardio was amazing, so he could wear down DC.

Cormier beats all of them handily except a roided Reem and current Werdum.

Just lol at any version of Nog, Fedor or CC hanging with Cormier.

yet you left aside by far the worst matchup for Cormier... STIPE MIOCIC. T

DC's striking defense, abilitity to take body shots, bad habits on the ground and cardio disagree.

Funny, how outside of JJ none of those holes have been exploited enough for an opponent's victory. It's not like he's fought 8 top 10 ranked opponents or anything.

Now if you want to talk about holes being exploited, we can move on to CC, Fedor and Nog.

Prime Mirko kills Cormier.

BTW... I think Cormier passed his prime a few years ago too.

Was that the version that got knocked out by Randleman? Or the version that was outstruck by GG, Mir, Schuab and Kongo?

Funny, how outside of JJ none of those holes have been exploited enough for an opponent's victory. It's not like he's fought 8 top 10 ranked opponents or anything.

Now if you want to talk about holes being exploited, we can move on to CC, Fedor and Nog.

That's due to fighting lesser competition than the ones listed.

Pride Crocop / Pride Fedor / Overeem > The guys who hurt DC in the stand-up (Mir, AJ, Gustafsson, 40 yr old Silva)
Werdum, Pride Nog, Fedor > The guys DC fought on the ground (Gustafsson, Henderson, AJ, Silva, Barnett)

The guys DC fought were not good enough to capitalize on his mistakes/weaknesses. The guys I listed were all capable to do that.

Was that the version that got knocked out by Randleman? Or the version that was outstruck by GG, Mir, Schuab and Kongo?

3090698-9766920035-Kevin.gif

Back