5 nightmare HW match-ups for Daniel Cormier (past & present)

in a ring I ahve no doubt that Mirko fucking wrecks him like he did with pretty much every single wrestler in Pride. DC would demolish any version of reem and cain. You just cannot ever count out Werdum because of his jits and Prime nog had the chin and will likeno other and he could catch dc like he did with sapp and Mirko. Prime Fedor vs Dc would be amazing. I would favor fedor because back then he knew what to do in the clinch and regardlessof dcs pedigree he was going to lose his balance or at worst get compeltely put off his game. Fedor by TKO.

Which wrestlers are we talking about? dc is far superior for example to randleman, barnett (who dc wiped out) or coleman (who was 40 when crocrop fought him).

Those are the "wrestlers" he beat and none are even close to dc in skillset.

Crocrop is the easiest of the 5 for dc, at least werdum and big nog have subs off their backs.

Best DC imho likely lose to Fedor, Cain, CroCop

Also Shane Carwin will be an ugly MU for him

And have hard but winnable fights with these you listed+JDS

Aside Nog, tbh i just see him beat up Nog into UD
If you think prime Fedor and Cro Cop ok that's your opinion but DC trains with Cain all the time and Cain even said DC pushes him in training and has made him better. To say it's some sort of sure thing that DC loses to the likes of Cain is just silly.

Delusional Shogun fans once again. Shogun has almost nothing for legit in their prime wrestlers.

Yup, exactly why he had so many problems knocking out Rampage and Arona in the first round.

In no particular order:

1-Antonio Nogueira circa 2001-2005

An elite bjj fighter with an iron chin, decent boxing and insane cardio? Well that sounds scary. People used to say Nogueira didn’t lose fights, he just ran out of time, and for a good reason.

Good luck at trying to GnP Nog’s iron chin and not getting subbed in the process. No doubt DC could take Nog down but he would pretty much be playing in a mousetrap the whole time. Some of his habits on the ground such as resting his extended arms on top of his opponents’ torso or leaving one arm in while in guard could easily get him subbed (more on that later).

DC’s best bet would probably be to sprawl and brawl (kinda like Fedor did in their 3rd fight), however Nogueira, while not heavy handed, had pretty decent boxing, while Cormier’s striking is pretty basic albeit heavy handed.

Cardio would no doubt be a key factor. DC doesn’t have great cardio, while Nogueira had amazing cardio.

Fedor trying to finish a Terminator:

Fedor%252520vs%252520Nogueira%252520GNP%252520%2525282%252529.gif

2-Mirko Crocop circa 2003-2006

An elite striker with killer takedown defense? Sounds like a wrestler’s worst nightmare. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Mirko would have been the worst possible match-up for DC in the history of the sport.

Forget about the head kicks. Cormier’s poor defense and ability to take body shots is about the worst weakness you can have against Crocop. It’s not like Cormier just got caught once or twice, he’s actually not good at defending body shots at all.

Seriously, when an old and out of prime Anderson Silva can make scream from pain with a body kick, you should thank the universe you never had to fight a prime Mirko Crocop.

giphy.gif

cro-cop-body-kicks-herring-o.gif

CroCopTKOsIbragimMagomedov.gif

Somebody please tell Cormier how to defend body kicks:

117869673_display_image.jpg

I forgot the sport has evolved so much, fighters now don’t defend body kicks, they just take them like men.

Now DC has heavy hands and could catch Mirko ala Kevin Randleman, but honestly chances would be slim. DC isn’t nearly as explosive as Kevin was. Getting his head or liver kicked into oblivion seems a lot more likely.

3-Ubereem / Econoreem

Do I really need to explain anything here?

sGpFwmv.gif

QualifiedBlindAfricanjacana.gif

oo4fyUy.gif

<36>

brock-overeem.gif

Reem has the TD defense and his striking is miles above DC's. Sure Overeem’s chin can always betray him, but DC getting kneed and body kicked to oblivion seems a lot more likely.

4-Fabricio Werdum

The man who subbed Fedor, Cain and KO’d Mark Hunt. Nuff said.

With that world class bjj, Werdum’s guard is pretty much the last place on earth Cormier should want to be. To make it worse, the dude is also a very capable striker:

vrsj2u.gif

Werdum.gif

Standing or on the ground, Cormier has no place to hide.

5- Fedor Emelianenko circa 2003-2006

We all know DC is a black prime Fedor

<36>

but with inferior striking, speed, reflexes, timing, elusiveness, agressivenes, pace, transitions, chin, cardio, sweeps, subs, sub defense,"heart", and the list goes on. Who the hell called DC black Fedor?

The stand-up isn't even close. Fedor fought and outstruck several elite strikers. Considering all of the above, DC having his way with Fedor in the stand-up is simply wishful thinking. He would most likely get overwhelmed, hurt and dropped.

Now DC could take Fedor down (or slam him on his head, doesn't matter). The problem is, DC tends to leave himself opened for subs when on top.

Leaving his arms like this for instance could get him armbarred quickly:

CORMIER3.png

One arm in next to his opponent's head.

CORMIER6.png

CORMIER7.png

This was 2 seconds before Coleman got armbarred:

CORMIER5.png

Cormier's arm doesn't even need to be that deep. Fedor can pull armbars from this position:

FEDOR1.png

FEDOR.png

Now you might say DC has better sub defense than Coleman (does he?), but that's irrelevant. If he leaves his arms like that he gets armbarred just like him.

Standing or on the ground Fedor was simply just too much for DC to handle. He had a lot more weapons at his disposal. DC's best bet would be to LnP Fedor and avoid the subs/sweeps, but given his habits on the ground that's simply not likely.

Honorable mention: Stipe Miocic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line:

There's no denying Daniel Comier proved himself to be a top heavyweight, defeating top fighters like Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett to win the Strikeforce Grand Prix. That being said, he never really fought the best HW's in the world at the time (Overeem, Werdum, Cain, JDS).

Some people even think Cormier was too good for the HW division, but I think the reason he has been doing so well is in fact that he’s NOT fighting at HW; not getting punched, kneed and body kicked by some of the guys mentioned above and others.

Hopefuly he'll move up again soon.

Prime DC destroys all of them.

Toughest fight would be Uberreem tho just from sheer size

If you think prime Fedor and Cro Cop ok that's your opinion but DC trains with Cain all the time and Cain even said DC pushes him in training and has made him better. To say it's some sort of sure thing that DC loses to the likes of Cain is just silly.

Cain said that DC "pushes him in training and has made him better"

DC himself once hinted that Cain used to "defeat" him regularly during theyr sparring sessions, i can't find the interview so take my word if you can

I dunno I think K-1 Cormier would do just fine in the standup vs all these guys

Nau5Dak.gif

vwcVpk9.gif

so new breed
much evolution
wow

Prime DC destroys all of them.

Toughest fight would be Uberreem tho just from sheer size

With that striking defense, cardio and ground game, his chances would be non existant.

Gureat thread

he definitely loses to all those mentioned in the OP. DC was a very good but overrated HW.

Purime Barnett and Sergei are two fights i wouldnt favor him in either. Ppl forget Josh broke his hand literally 30 seconds into the fight and the last 2 hounds were still very competitive with Josh taking one.

He has the best chance against Fab if he avoids the clinch but even then he would struggle with the kicks and DCs boxing defense isnt good.

Mirko would fucking mutilate him, absolutely nightmare match up with his TDD and far superior sturiking for Pilsburry doughboys belly who got hurt to the body by Murr of all ppl

Fedors body shots would also hurt him badly as well.

Nog is the superior boxer and has a sturong enough clinch game to avoid the dirty boxing. DC never dealt with a guard close to Nogs either and DCs top game is controlling and decent but not dangerous or top level. Nog would win scrambles, sub attempts and box him up to a decision.

Cain said that DC "pushes him in training and has made him better"

DC himself once hinted that Cain used to "defeat" him regularly during theyr sparring sessions, i can't find the interview so take my word if you can
Did you see the look on Cain's face when Jones was tooling DC. He looked legitimately worried. And in no way did DC say Cain is somehow better then him, watch their training together, what I can gather their about equal. That being said, they're also teammates so what else is he supposed to say "I think I'd tool this guy."

Sergei Kharatonov gives him a very good fight.

Gureat thread

he definitely loses to all those mentioned in the OP. DC was a very good but overrated HW.

Purime Barnett and Sergei are two fights i wouldnt favor him in either. Ppl forget Josh broke his hand literally 30 seconds into the fight and the last 2 hounds were still very competitive with Josh taking one.

He has the best chance against Fab if he avoids the clinch but even then he would struggle with the kicks and DCs boxing defense isnt good.

Mirko would fucking mutilate him, absolutely nightmare match up with his TDD and far superior sturiking for Pilsburry doughboys belly who got hurt to the body by Murr of all ppl

Fedors body shots would also hurt him badly as well.

Nog is the superior boxer and has a sturong enough clinch game to avoid the dirty boxing. DC never dealt with a guard close to Nogs either and DCs top game is controlling and decent but not dangerous or top level. Nog would win scrambles, sub attempts and box him up to a decision.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, you are absolutely clueless...

And btw he beat a "prime" Barnett already, you know the 35 year old barnett who was on an 8 fight win streak just coming off a win over a "prime" 32 year old kharitonov, the other guy you said would wreck dc...

Mma noobs....

This thread wouldn't have been made if DC looked like Ubereem or Brock. He's constantly being discriminated against because of his dad bod, let's not kid ourselves.

DC would ragdoll everyone you just mentioned.

This thread wouldn't have been made if DC looked like Ubereem or Brock. He's constantly being discriminated against because of his dad bod, let's not kid ourselves.

Not at all.

This thread is based on how his skillset, weaknesses and habits match with other poeple.

Back