Why do the Gracies have big egos?

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everytime I hear, see or read up on one of these guys they all seem to have beef with everyone and about everything. From conflicts between family members, grudges against opponents, business issues, beef against other gyms/coaches/martial arts etc. They all seem to have a huge ego and miserable to be around.

Is this "normal" behaviour with the Gracies? Is this just a product of an upbringing under Gracie Jiu Jitsu?

Last edited:
Because they made something and hate that others do it better now.They are to grappling what England is to football...

Quite the opposite they are near egoless. Ravoc Gracie won @bellator last weekend , since he mouted the guy in the 3rd rd lol

Have you ever trained with them or met them personally?

Although they do get into a lot of conflicts, every one of them I've ever met or trained with was SUPER nice in person.

Just sayin.

Have you ever trained with them or met them personally?

Although they do get into a lot of conflicts, every one of them I've ever met or trained with was SUPER nice in person.

Just sayin.

Being nice has nothing to do with ego. SO what's your point supose to be?

They're a lot like Greece. Really prideful about being dominant and influential a long time ago, while the rest of the world has moved on.

Actually it does.

Most folks with huge egos are douche-bags in person.

None of them behave that way. They are quite personable and friendly.

EVERYONE on the planet in the fight game has beefs, and issues here and there. Doesn't mean they are totally egocentric.

What are you talking about? Being nice generally means you are thinking about others than just yourself. It has a lot to do with ego. As far as the Gracie ego, I feel it's a mixture of what has been said. They were the first all-stars of the MMA world, howeve,r as of late they are just like anyone else. Surely that has to sting.

Royce mad all their heads bigger, even his own. I mean I respect their contributions to MMA but they act like they are all better then everyone probably because having the last name gracie gives everyone the assumption of you being an amazing fighter when they are just BJJ practitioners. Royce is lucky that Hughes decided to TKO him instead of subbing him

Actually it does.

Most folks with huge egos are douche-bags in person.

None of them behave that way. They are quite personable and friendly.

EVERYONE on the planet in the fight game has beefs, and issues here and there. Doesn't mean they are totally egocentric.

"Most folks with huge egos are douche-bags in person" ok sure. Ego is an extention of a persons confidence or sense of personal identity. How you interact with others positive or negitive has nothing to do with ego. Just sayin

Most of the Gracies are scumbags.

Sakuraba bless.

Sakuraba bless.

saku-roycegif.gif~c200

If your family invented leverage you'd have a big ego, too.

To be honest I only dislike Ralek, Royce and Royler. Rickson, Kron, Roger and especially Renzo are cool dudes. Rener and Ryron can be biased sometimes (Eddie/Royler 2) and their online belts are ridiculous.

Probably because for decades they were the baddest motherfuckers on the planet and very few people knew it or gave them respect.

Back