'13 Reasons Why' is quite brilliant, and here's why...*spoilers*

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm at work so I don't have the time to go into as much detail as I would like but this is my observation:

In the show, Hannah Baker commits suicide and leaves behind a series of tapes detailing why she killed herself and has them sent to the people responsible/involved.

The general reaction from the kids responsible is: butthurt about the reality of the situation, refusal to take responsibility, and lashing out against Hannah for releasing the tape to begin with.

If you have been paying attention, the reaction from our media and psychological professionals about this show has been highly negative. With widespread calls for the show to be taken down.

So our own media and mental health professionals are having the same reaction to this show, that the kids in the show have to Hannah's tapes: butthurt about the reality of the situation (high suicide rates among young people that are on the rise, and the inability of high school counselors to prevent them), refusal to take responsibility ( mass media and social media that lead to kids being depressed and also lead to other kids/people being more cruel and less human) and finally lashing out against Netflix and the show itself, calling on them to take it down.

If you have watched the series, what are your thoughts on that comparison?

I'm at work so I don't have the time to go into as much detail as I would like but this is my observation:

In the show, Hannah Baker commits suicide and leaves behind a series of tapes detailing why she killed herself and has them sent to the people responsible/involved.

The general reaction from the kids responsible is: butthurt about the reality of the situation, refusal to take responsibility, and lashing out against Hannah for releasing the tape to begin with.

If you have been paying attention, the reaction from our media and psychological professionals about this show has been highly negative. With widespread calls for the show to be taken down.

So our own media and mental health professionals are having the same reaction to this show, that the kids in the show have to Hannah's tapes: butthurt about the reality of the situation (high suicide rates among young people that are on the rise, and the inability of high school counselors to prevent them), refusal to take responsibility ( mass media and social media that lead to kids being depressed and also lead to other kids/people being more cruel and less human) and finally lashing out against Netflix and the show itself, calling on them to take it down.

If you have watched the series, what are your thoughts on that comparison?
I haven't seen the show, but after reading your post, an old maxim comes to mind: Art mimics life. The detractors of this show, as you've described them, would do well to remember this.

What we need is a war on suicide so we can just get rid of it altogether like we did with drugs and terrorism.

I think it sucks because it is nothing like the book.

Why even bother calling Thirteen Reasons Why when they just basically wrote a whole different story.

I haven't seen the show, but after reading your post, an old maxim comes to mind: Art mimics life. The detractors of this show, as you've described them, would do well to remember this.

Right, the art, this show, mimics the reality of suicide in real life. The reaction to that, is that critics and SJW's are mimicking the behavior of the responsible parties in the narrative. It's a bizarre rabit hole.

I think it sucks because it is nothing like the book.

Why even bother calling Thirteen Reasons Why when they just basically wrote a whole different story.

I didn't know that, I haven't read the book.

The show was annoying.

This girl (Hannah) continuously put herself in situations that she admitted that she knew were bad for her, but kept doing it anyway. The movie skirted around any actual mental health issues that she had, considering her self-destructive attitude and actions. She made the tapes to blame and shame others for her suicide. While some of the characters were genuinely fucked up, others were just bystanders that she couldn't handle leaving. Alex and Jessica liked each other and dated briefly. Hannah couldn't handle it. Clay was an awkward kid who she pushed away after engaging him physically.

Some of the other kids were assholes, but they're high school kids. Courtney wasn't "out of the closet", and it was a dick move to throw Hannah under the bus, but Hannah could have set the record straight at any point. Justin spread a common rumor that took a kiss to a blowjob, and again, Hannah could have been like "no that didn't happen". Ryan published her poem without her permission. Marcus groped her on a date in a brief sequence that was over pretty much as soon as it started. Zach was hurt for being rejected and lashed out in a truly inconsequential way. Sheri avoided incriminating herself both before and after a fatal car accident. Mr. Porter was trying to help Hannah, but she refused to say she was raped, refused to confess that she has been suffering suicidal ideations, and ultimately refused to be cooperative in any way.

Honestly, the only two people on the list who necessitated taking blame were Tyler, a peeping-tom stalker, and Bryce, a fucking rapist. Both of whom she refused to report to authorities at any chance afforded her.

And after watching Bryce rape her old bestie, she goes to a party at Bryce's house? That was the straw that broke the camel's back, in my opinion. I'm not about victim blaming or anything, but no one was responsible for her death except for her. She didn't deserve to be raped, of course. Even if she went to a known rapist's house and got his in hot top and didn't immediately jump out when he was clearly coming on to her. It's not her fault. But outright refusing to get help, both legally for being raped, and psychologically for being a self-destructive, suicidal person? That's her fault.

The show might have tried to tell a story of people refusing to take responsibility, but it failed. The only person who is responsible for Hannah Baker's suicide is Hannah Baker.

I kinda wanna watch this show. Gonna stalk thread to read and see if I should bother.

Anybody see My Fat Diary? Is it anything like that? A+ show imo so I'm curious if they're anything alike.

What we need is a war on suicide so we can just get rid of it altogether like we did with drugs and terrorism.
We'll kill those bastards before they kill themselves!

It was a little cheesy but it definitely had me interested from what I saw. Probably won't watch it again, but I might read the Wikipedia for plot spoilers later.

Can't believe this has garnered so much attention. Especially from adult males.

well you are right... it is only a matter of time till some high school kids start committing suicide releasing tapes to all their friends telling them how its all their fault

Do people really provoke others into suicide? Is that a thing? How do you know you're not just prodding someone to go on a murdering rampage spree with you as their first target?

It was a little cheesy but it definitely had me interested from what I saw. Probably won't watch it again, but I might read the Wikipedia for plot spoilers later.
but... theres a book.

I watched it, and my thoughts are that even though the show itself is interesting. I think it sends a bad message if people are seeing more in it than it is, just a dramatic teen show. As if it was a normal reaction that Hannah committed suicide after being bullied and some worse stuff that I won't spoil. I think it is fair to say that Hannah was an extremely unstable girl with several psychological disorders,. She was completely incapable to react in a adequate way to the things that happened. And a lot of the stuff that happened happens to a lot of people who don't react by committing suicide.

The show was annoying.

This girl (Hannah) continuously put herself in situations that she admitted that she knew were bad for her, but kept doing it anyway. The movie skirted around any actual mental health issues that she had, considering her self-destructive attitude and actions. She made the tapes to blame and shame others for her suicide. While some of the characters were genuinely fucked up, others were just bystanders that she couldn't handle leaving. Alex and Jessica liked each other and dated briefly. Hannah couldn't handle it. Clay was an awkward kid who she pushed away after engaging him physically.

Some of the other kids were assholes, but they're high school kids. Courtney wasn't "out of the closet", and it was a dick move to throw Hannah under the bus, but Hannah could have set the record straight at any point. Justin spread a common rumor that took a kiss to a blowjob, and again, Hannah could have been like "no that didn't happen". Ryan published her poem without her permission. Marcus groped her on a date in a brief sequence that was over pretty much as soon as it started. Zach was hurt for being rejected and lashed out in a truly inconsequential way. Sheri avoided incriminating herself both before and after a fatal car accident. Mr. Porter was trying to help Hannah, but she refused to say she was raped, refused to confess that she has been suffering suicidal ideations, and ultimately refused to be cooperative in any way.

Honestly, the only two people on the list who necessitated taking blame were Tyler, a peeping-tom stalker, and Bryce, a fucking rapist. Both of whom she refused to report to authorities at any chance afforded her.

And after watching Bryce rape her old bestie, she goes to a party at Bryce's house? That was the straw that broke the camel's back, in my opinion. I'm not about victim blaming or anything, but no one was responsible for her death except for her. She didn't deserve to be raped, of course. Even if she went to a known rapist's house and got his in hot top and didn't immediately jump out when he was clearly coming on to her. It's not her fault. But outright refusing to get help, both legally for being raped, and psychologically for being a self-destructive, suicidal person? That's her fault.

The show might have tried to tell a story of people refusing to take responsibility, but it failed. The only person who is responsible for Hannah Baker's suicide is Hannah Baker.
@Der Eisbar

Your thread got destroyed itp

The show was annoying.

Lol this shitshow sounds terrible

@Der Eisbar

Your thread got destroyed itp
He's welcome to his opinion but that's not really what happened in the story.

The way the story actually portrays it, is that everyone around this girl is brutally cruel to her and throws her under the bus at every turn to save their own asses. It gets to the point where she's completely isolated and has no one there for her at all. Some of it she brings on herself, but mostly it's other people.

However, my critique of the story or the opinion of others isn't really the point of this thread.

The point of the thread was comparing the similarity between the media's reaction to the show, to the reactions Hannah's bullies had to her tapes. In that context, I fail to see how the fuck I got 'destroyed'.

Back