'13 Reasons Why' is quite brilliant, and here's why...*spoilers*

You're better off reading the book. The tv is a supreme cluster fuck of an interpretation.
I'm watching it right now lol. I don't think ill like it but we'll see.

Like I'm already rustled by the chick making others responsible for her decision lol.

I'm watching it right now lol. I don't think ill like it but we'll see.

Like I'm already rustled by the chick making others responsible for her decision lol.
Too many details to go in to but they took the basic premise of the tapes then just pretty much modernized it; which dumbed it down and sexed it up.

to make matters worse the character of Clay was supposed be the one (on the tapes) that rose above the mess that Hannah created - instead they just turned him in to another asshole.

I tried to be open minded and aware that books are never the same once translated to screen but this tv interpretation is just plain bad.

The show was annoying.

This girl (Hannah) continuously put herself in situations that she admitted that she knew were bad for her, but kept doing it anyway. The movie skirted around any actual mental health issues that she had, considering her self-destructive attitude and actions. She made the tapes to blame and shame others for her suicide. While some of the characters were genuinely fucked up, others were just bystanders that she couldn't handle leaving. Alex and Jessica liked each other and dated briefly. Hannah couldn't handle it. Clay was an awkward kid who she pushed away after engaging him physically.

Some of the other kids were assholes, but they're high school kids. Courtney wasn't "out of the closet", and it was a dick move to throw Hannah under the bus, but Hannah could have set the record straight at any point. Justin spread a common rumor that took a kiss to a blowjob, and again, Hannah could have been like "no that didn't happen". Ryan published her poem without her permission. Marcus groped her on a date in a brief sequence that was over pretty much as soon as it started. Zach was hurt for being rejected and lashed out in a truly inconsequential way. Sheri avoided incriminating herself both before and after a fatal car accident. Mr. Porter was trying to help Hannah, but she refused to say she was raped, refused to confess that she has been suffering suicidal ideations, and ultimately refused to be cooperative in any way.

Honestly, the only two people on the list who necessitated taking blame were Tyler, a peeping-tom stalker, and Bryce, a fucking rapist. Both of whom she refused to report to authorities at any chance afforded her.

And after watching Bryce rape her old bestie, she goes to a party at Bryce's house? That was the straw that broke the camel's back, in my opinion. I'm not about victim blaming or anything, but no one was responsible for her death except for her. She didn't deserve to be raped, of course. Even if she went to a known rapist's house and got his in hot top and didn't immediately jump out when he was clearly coming on to her. It's not her fault. But outright refusing to get help, both legally for being raped, and psychologically for being a self-destructive, suicidal person? That's her fault.

The show might have tried to tell a story of people refusing to take responsibility, but it failed. The only person who is responsible for Hannah Baker's suicide is Hannah Baker.

181902702-kim_jung_un_clapping.gif

10/10 would read again.

I'm trying to watch this show... but these kids are all acting way too mature, like Clay's friend with the nice car (tan, nice hair, IDK his name - he stole his tape player?), he stares at Clay with this look on his face like he's some kind of fucking wise sage or something, and I'm like "bro you're 16 years old." IDK. I felt the same way with the first episode, there is just something about these kids that is not clicking with me.

A show that I felt had a similar 'feel' to it but that I liked a lot better was The OA

I'm moving on to Dear White People

It's a lame show that features a person not accepting responsibility for the stupid shit they do, blaming everyone else and trying to posthumously guilt them with suicide.

Featuring shitty acting and awkward chemistry between the characters.

It's shit.

Oh it is, but I binge watched it after getting fired.
Yeah me too (not the fired part). At the end I felt kind of like I'd been tricked into watching a teen soap opera because of the "Very Important Episode" subject matter.

I agree with your breakdown in that the Hannah character was definitely not doing herself any favours, and that the show ought to have discussed the mental health and depression issues she seemed to bring up.

But it's interesting to me to have a character who is an unreliable narrator and far from perfect as a "protagonist" (if I can apply that term to Hannah).

As far as OP goes, hadn't thought of it that way. Suicide is like race in that way, one of those hot button topics people wish would go away if they stopped talking about it, but never does.

Sounds like an attention seeking thing to do. Committ suicide and then send people "responsible" tapes. Therefore absolving all agency of action. "They made me do it" .... You are responsible for your own happiness, no one else.

The show was annoying.

This girl (Hannah) continuously put herself in situations that she admitted that she knew were bad for her, but kept doing it anyway. The movie skirted around any actual mental health issues that she had, considering her self-destructive attitude and actions. She made the tapes to blame and shame others for her suicide. While some of the characters were genuinely fucked up, others were just bystanders that she couldn't handle leaving. Alex and Jessica liked each other and dated briefly. Hannah couldn't handle it. Clay was an awkward kid who she pushed away after engaging him physically.

Some of the other kids were assholes, but they're high school kids. Courtney wasn't "out of the closet", and it was a dick move to throw Hannah under the bus, but Hannah could have set the record straight at any point. Justin spread a common rumor that took a kiss to a blowjob, and again, Hannah could have been like "no that didn't happen". Ryan published her poem without her permission. Marcus groped her on a date in a brief sequence that was over pretty much as soon as it started. Zach was hurt for being rejected and lashed out in a truly inconsequential way. Sheri avoided incriminating herself both before and after a fatal car accident. Mr. Porter was trying to help Hannah, but she refused to say she was raped, refused to confess that she has been suffering suicidal ideations, and ultimately refused to be cooperative in any way.

Honestly, the only two people on the list who necessitated taking blame were Tyler, a peeping-tom stalker, and Bryce, a fucking rapist. Both of whom she refused to report to authorities at any chance afforded her.

And after watching Bryce rape her old bestie, she goes to a party at Bryce's house? That was the straw that broke the camel's back, in my opinion. I'm not about victim blaming or anything, but no one was responsible for her death except for her. She didn't deserve to be raped, of course. Even if she went to a known rapist's house and got his in hot top and didn't immediately jump out when he was clearly coming on to her. It's not her fault. But outright refusing to get help, both legally for being raped, and psychologically for being a self-destructive, suicidal person? That's her fault.

The show might have tried to tell a story of people refusing to take responsibility, but it failed. The only person who is responsible for Hannah Baker's suicide is Hannah Baker.

I haven't watched the show, but if half of this is true, fuck Hannah. Typical victim mentality and refusal to accept responsibility for one's personal actions. She better off dead than living in this oh-so-cruel world that is specifically out to get her.

I haven't watched the show, but if half of this is true, fuck Hannah. Typical victim mentality and refusal to accept responsibility for one's personal actions. She better off dead than living in this oh-so-cruel world that is specifically out to get her.

Most of the people commenting on this show are misrepresenting what happens to her. There's only a couple things she brings on herself. People are outright fucking cruel to her, call her a slut for nothing, stalk her, rape her, friends abandon her and stab her in the back. Really the ONLY thing she brings on herself is pushing Clay away when she wanted him. Even that is after everything that's happened to her. You all are misrepresenting what happens to her. Do I think the answer is suicide as a result of what's happened to her? No. But think how dramatic and overly emotional people are when they're teens.

saw the first episode it was interesting better than expected,over hyped though.

I'm waiting on master of none it premieres at 12:00 am

She was better off not being friends with that dumb Asian ho, and not dating that dick, Marcus. Killing herself and then putting naive Clay through extra stuff with the tapes was a pretty fucked up thing to do to him. Some of the others didn't deserve to be on the tapes either like the Asian guy (unless he knew Bryce was a rapist) and the counselor.

The only 3 who really should take blame are the stalker, the rapist, and the dumbass who knew that Bryce was a rapist. Oh yeah, and the black girl should have taken responsibility for the stop sign (she did later, though).

Most of the people commenting on this show are misrepresenting what happens to her. There's only a couple things she brings on herself. People are outright fucking cruel to her, call her a slut for nothing, stalk her, rape her, friends abandon her and stab her in the back. Really the ONLY thing she brings on herself is pushing Clay away when she wanted him. Even that is after everything that's happened to her. You all are misrepresenting what happens to her. Do I think the answer is suicide as a result of what's happened to her? No. But think how dramatic and overly emotional people are when they're teens.

It wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. She was a young girl and didn't know how to properly handle things. Putting the blame on a bunch of people who didn't really deserve it further showcases that. Only a couple of them deserved blame. Someone like Courtney might deserve a small amount of blame, but on the other hand, Hannah was better off not being friends with someone like her. Courtney did her a favor. Same thing with Marcus.

Some of the other people were unstable like Slim Shady (all he really did was say that Hannah had the best ass, which she could have taken as a compliment) or a mess like Jessica. Sheri got caught up in her own problems. She failed to do anything about the stop sign which likely ended up playing a part in a fatal car accident, but Hannah failed to do anything when Jessica was being raped. Ryan was a dick, but you probably shouldn't write shitty poetry and share it with others if you don't want everyone to see it. Zach enacted some petty revenge after Hannah was a bitch to him. It was minor, and Hannah simply could have confronted him about it. The counselor tried to help her. Clay was always there for her. The gay Mexican was, too. She had good parents.

Part of the problem was that Hannah was too focused on herself and her problems and overlooked everyone else's. The counselor should have done more. There was some pretty big red flags in their conversation.

Last edited:
It wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. She was a young girl and didn't know how to properly handle things. Putting the blame on a bunch of people who didn't realize deserve it further showcases that. Only a couple of them deserved blame. Someone like Courtney might deserve a small amount of blame, but on the other hand, Hannah was better off not being friends with someone like her. Courtney did her a favor. Same thing with Marcus.

Some of the other people were unstable like Slim Shady (all he really did was say that Hannah had the best ass, which she could have taken as a compliment) or a mess like Jessica. Sheri got caught up in her own problems. She failed to do anything about the stop sign which likely ended up playing a part in a fatal car accident, but Hannah failed to do anything when Jessica was being raped. Ryan was a dick, but you probably shouldn't write shitty poetry and share it with others if you don't want everyone to see it. Zach enacted some petty revenge after Hannah was a bitch to him. It was minor, and Hannah simply could have confronted him about it. The counselor tried to help her. Clay was always there for her. The gay Mexican was, too. She had good parents.

Part of the problem was that Hannah was too focused on herself and her problems and overlooked everyone else's. The counselor should have done more. There was some pretty big red flags in their conversation.

Yeah I don't think Hannah placed equal blame on all of them though. It was pretty clear that there was a hierarchy of blame. And again, do I think what happened to her warranted killing herself? No. But dude, even a lot of grown adults resort to suicide after being raped. That is a devastating thing to have happen to you. Can I see how a teenage girl would kill herself after being raped and being a complete social outcast? Yeah, I could see how that could happen. I gurantee you it has happened in real life, and more than once.

Sounds like an attention seeking thing to do. Committ suicide and then send people "responsible" tapes. Therefore absolving all agency of action. "They made me do it" .... You are responsible for your own happiness, no one else.
You sound like such a miserable fuck every single time I see you post anything.

Hard to take this serious with the repeated use of the "word" butthurt.

I wonder if part of the reason they off themselves is because they really are useless. They add nothing to society till they are at least 18. Maybe this is nature's way of self regulating useless people. If we give teens a use maybe they will kill themselves less

The show was annoying.

Dear goodness!!! Thank you!!!

No one is saying that she brought it all on herself. But she did have a pattern of putting herself in situations that she knew and often admitted to knowing were bad for her. She was self-destructive to begin with, and shit happened to her that sucks, and she reacted poorly to it.

And when she was able to get help, she didn't. Not one single time did she attempt to get help. Even when someone was trying his best to do so, she said "nah", walked away, and fucking killed herself instead.

Back