Movies 10 Intense War Movies Approved By Soldiers and Historians

Platoon and Glory should be in this list IMO, and possibly We Were Soldiers.

I didn't care for Hacksaw ridge - CGI combat and Vince Vaughn just didn't work for me personally.

Black Hawk Down has got to be up there. Off topic, I dont think many people knew at the time it came out, but those were the best special operations and that beat by drugged out guys with aks. I think they had more success in Iraq though, and I know in Somalia they didn't have as much resources. Shows how difficult urban combat truly is.

Not bad. I was more of a barracks Joe. The nothingness didn't bother me, and I saved lots of money by doing nothing. I laugh when boots griped about paying for a taxi into Jacksonville with nothing to do. Wasn't there long, though. I had been there for nine months, then got recruited for ANGLICO.
I was there in June 2005 for CAX. Loved the desert climate.
Do you remember the Jacksonville Ninja when you were at Lejeune?

Platoon and Glory should be in this list IMO, and possibly We Were Soldiers.

I didn't care for Hacksaw ridge - CGI combat and Vince Vaughn just didn't work for me personally.

Didn't think Vince Vaughn was in the film. Are we talking about the same film?

Black Hawk Down has got to be up there. Off topic, I dont think many people knew at the time it came out, but those were the best special operations and that beat by drugged out guys with aks. I think they had more success in Iraq though, and I know in Somalia they didn't have as much resources. Shows how difficult urban combat truly is.

If your typo (not judging just asking to clarify) is stating they were beat by a bunch of guys high on drugs with AKs then you'd be incorrect.

They accomplished their objective against overwhelming odds and by all accounts gave better than they got.

Given the relatively small list of KIA given the circumstances I'd say they weren't "beat" on that mission.

Not a war movie, but the battle scene in Forrest Gump has been cited for its realism.

Anecdotal I know but I have two uncles who fought in Vietnam and they both said We were soldiers was the most realistic Vietnam movie either had ever seen. A little surprised to not see it make the list with a movie like Full metal jacket making it which is only half of a good movie

I was there in June 2005 for CAX. Loved the desert climate.
Do you remember the Jacksonville Ninja when you were at Lejeune?

Yeah, I liked the dry heat, too. The nights were great, too. You can really get some thinking done looking at the stars. I remember accidents were always thing, because they'd be rushing back from TJ's, L.A., or Vegas to make formation. It seems MWR has much more to do there these days. I wouldn't be surprised if Time Crisis was still at the Warrior's Club.

The Jacksonville Ninja was after my time there, or I hadn't noticed him.

Yeah, I liked the dry heat, too. The nights were great, too. You can really get some thinking done looking at the stars. I remember accidents were always thing, because they'd be rushing back from TJ's, L.A., or Vegas to make formation. It seems MWR has much more to do there these days. I wouldn't be surprised if Time Crisis was still at the Warrior's Club.

The Jacksonville Ninja was after my time there, or I hadn't noticed him.
Oh man I spent so much money playing Time Crisis 2 at the Warrior's Club.

the most intense war movie i've seen is a belarussian movie called "Come and See."

Oh man I spent so much money playing Time Crisis 2 at the Warrior's Club.

I spent a whole CAX drinking beer and playing that, or Street Fighter Alpha. I did advance party for an AT when I was non-hob (IRR). 4th Tracks A Co. (Norfolk) gave me the wrong dates, so they weren't there. I reported to some Gunny in hazmat that didn't give a damn. He told me to lay low, buy him a bottle of Jack from the package store, and he'd do my pros/cons before I left.

Heard from alot of Vietnam vets who basically all said Hamburger Hill was the best movie from their experience. Not even listed there :(

Back