1/3 of stranger killings in the US committed by police

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
That's a crazy number. If you want to know how the authors arrived at it, I really recommend you read the whole piece:

https://granta.com/violence-in-blue/

As I said at the beginning of this article, the estimate of 1,500 police homicides per year would mean that eight to ten per cent of all American homicide victims are killed by the police. Of all American homicide victims killed by people they don’t know, approximately one-third of them are victims of the police.

America is a land ruled by fear. We fear that our children will be abducted by strangers, that crazed gunmen will perpetrate mass killings in our schools and theaters, that terrorists will gun us down or blow up our buildings, and that serial killers will stalk us on dark streets. All of these risks are real, but they are minuscule in probability: taken together, these threats constitute less than three per cent of total annual homicides in the US.[9] The numerically greater threat to our safety, and the largest single category of strangers who threaten us, are the people we have empowered to use deadly force to protect us from these less probable threats. The question for Americans is whether we will continue to tolerate police violence at this scale in return for protection against the quantitatively less likely threats.

If you want to throw math out the window and make your own math, I recommend you read it.

When my kid was in kindergarten, he was given the "Stranger Danger" talk by his teacher.

I thought that we as a society have moved away from the compulsory "Stranger Danger" curriculum in schools, since the vast majority of people who injure or kidnap children are people they know: estranged parents, family "friends", neighbors, etc.

If the article posted is true, then doesn't that give even more weight to the fact that we need to rethink "Stranger Danger" since you are told to always trust your parent, your teacher, and the police?

Jesus, who cares. Baked into the cake.

not to derail this, someone on here years ago shared this crazy website dedicated to the strange phenomenon of cops/law enforcement all across NA killing dogs. it wasn't bullshit either - it was funded/sponsored by a bunch of dog & animal protection non profit organizations etc. they somehow were able to compile legitimate incidents with daily updates, providing videos (super graphic) of dogs being shot & the uproar surrounding each one. they straight up shared the names & info of these officers, as well as their stations etc. putting them on blast.

anyone remember or happen to know this site I'm speaking of?

not to derail this, someone on here years ago shared this crazy website dedicated to the strange phenomenon of cops/law enforcement all across NA killing dogs. it wasn't bullshit either - it was funded/sponsored by a bunch of dog & animal protection non profit organizations etc. they somehow were able to compile legitimate incidents with daily updates, providing videos (super graphic) of dogs being shot & the uproar surrounding each one. they straight up shared the names & info of these officers, as well as their stations etc. putting them on blast.

Never heard of this website but I've seen too many stories of cops shooting people's dogs for little to no reason, so I'm not surprised.

Never heard of this website but I've seen too many stories of cops shooting people's dogs for little to no reason, so I'm not surprised.

Of course you have, because you watch the news.

Police officer interactions with the public vs kills.

Violent police officers vs violent offenders.

Who gives a fuck about dogs.

You want to protect your own home.
Call the cops.

Or we could come there and take what we want. Who would you call then?

Call the cops.

giphy.gif

When my kid was in kindergarten, he was given the "Stranger Danger" talk by his teacher.

I thought that we as a society have moved away from the compulsory "Stranger Danger" curriculum in schools, since the vast majority of people who injure or kidnap children are people they know: estranged parents, family "friends", neighbors, etc.

If the article posted is true, then doesn't that give even more weight to the fact that we need to rethink "Stranger Danger" since you are told to always trust your parent, your teacher, and the police?

Three quarters of killings committed by someone you know. One third of the rest by the police, i.e. 1 in 12 is a police killing. Leaving all race questions out, that should be concerning.

But of course family/friends/acquaintances always are where the statistical danger is. So yes - stranger danger is a sensible thing to teach to some extent, but I think everyone should be aware of other types of dangers. How do you interact with police, knowing that these may be super nervous types? How do you look out for signs of potential molestations by the baseball coach, the uncle, the kindergarten lady?

Three quarters of killings committed by someone you know. One third of the rest by the police, i.e. 1 in 12 is a police killing. Leaving all race questions out, that should be concerning
That isn't the concerning part. Does anyone have a really well developed sense of what percentage this should be? Of course not. I'm expected to gasp over a statistic that carries no inherent worth.

Law enforcement in this country has made a point of educating our public that something like 80% of murders involve a victim who knew his killer. Meanwhile, what percentage of police response calls do you think involve an officer who knows the people in a situation to which he's responding? I estimate it's incredibly low in any country.

The concerning statistic is when you look at our police homicide rates relative to other countries (such as yours): as an absolute figure, as a proportion of responses involving violence situations, and as a ratio per capita. These are statistics that have far more worth on face value.

Call the cops.

Cops can't protect you. They can come after someone already broke in to your house or car. If they see a crime happening they don't have to put them selves in harms way to protect you.

Back