Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 10.0

Love the quotes from the staff

Visitor-is it safe to be here (as the animal is escaping)

Zookeeper- no, but we are working on it
Not sure if they have gotten the snake back yet or not.

predation events by large constrictors are rare, even if they kill a human we are difficult to consume due to our shoulders. Being ambush predators, it is a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The largest venomous snake is the king cobra and while they can get up to 18’ long they aren’t remotely wide enough to swallow a human. The majority of their prey are other snakes
Weird question.
Where could I find some pics of some of the animals you work with sir?

An extremely rare whale was found washed up on a New Zealand beech, the spade-toothed whale. Since it's discovery in 1872, which was described only using a jawbone, this is only the second time a complete specimen has been found. Back in 2010, a cow and calf washed up on shore. A live one has never been seen.

warning: it is a dead animal
Whale-with-digger-2-copy-scaled-e1721182739979.jpg

20240704_125553-edited-scaled.jpg

While stories like that are heart warming i still do not agree with it.

Fine that she continued to feed Roxy, since the prior home owners had already conditioned her to humans, but i would not have tried to establish a personal relationship. Let the weariness and discomfort Roxy felt at the new owner endure, and feed her more thru a strategically placed feeder at the property border.

It just has bad odds for ending poorly for Roxy and especially her new litters if they do not grow up with a healthy fear of human contact and they approach the wrong human. Although raccoons, of all animals, may be smart enough to navigate that.

While stories like that are heart warming i still do not agree with it.

Fine that she continued to feed Roxy, since the prior home owners had already conditioned her to humans, but i would not have tried to establish a personal relationship. Let the weariness and discomfort Roxy felt at the new owner endure, and feed her more thru a strategically placed feeder at the property border.

It just has bad odds for ending poorly for Roxy and especially her new litters if they do not grow up with a healthy fear of human contact and they approach the wrong human. Although raccoons, of all animals, may be smart enough to navigate that.
Agreed.
We should not interfere with wild animals.
Puts both humans and the animals at unnecessary risks.

Back