Zimbabwe to Sell Wildlife Due to Drought and Finances

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Well, this is depressing. You gotta do what you gotta do. I just hope these animals don't end up on hunting concessions.

Zimbabwe says it is putting some of the wild animals in its reserves up for sale because of the severe drought that has hit the country.

That's according to a statement from the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (known as ZimParks) that was carried by Reuters and CNN.

It says the country intends to "destock its parks estates" by selling animals to "private wildlife reserves" but offers few additional details, CNN reports.

Zimbabwe's famous national parks, which are teeming with animals such as lions, elephants, cheetahs and monkeys, take up about 13 percent of the country's land area.

The region is facing a severe drought that has taken a toll on food harvests. According to UNICEF, 37 percent of households in Zimbabwe are hungry. The dry conditions have "decimated" livestock. In February, the situation prompted Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe to declare a state of disaster.

According to Reuters, "about 54,000 of Zimbabwe's 80,000 elephants live in the western Hwange National Park, more than four times the number it is supposed to hold." The wire service adds that drought conditions at Hwange are already "critical" and "expected to worsen."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160504

It's becoming less and less likely that our ancestors will see these animals in their original habitats.

Wait, I thought Zimbabwe was able to support 1000 times more lions than what they had and it was those evil hunters holding back the population from growing. #Cecil

Wait, I thought Zimbabwe was able to support 1000 times more lions than what they had and it was those evil hunters holding back the population from growing. #Cecil

Lions have been doing just fine until this drought, unfortunately.

Wait, I thought Zimbabwe was able to support 1000 times more lions than what they had and it was those evil hunters holding back the population from growing.
You must be a very stupid person indeed to think that.

I noticed a trend on Instagram that maybe it's related. I'm seeing a lot of Chechens and caucasians with young lions and exotic cubs. Regular people, not Kadyrov. What's up with that?

I noticed a trend on Instagram that maybe it's related. I'm seeing a lot of Chechens and caucasians with young lions and exotic cubs. Regular people, not Kadyrov. What's up with that?

well thats fucked

The best thing that could happen would be for the private sector to take over the land--and yes, the animals--so they could make it profitable. The best way to keep those animals alive as a species is to let hunters come and kill them.

Maybe Kadyrov is breeding from his own stock and giving them out to his supporters. Don't put it past him.

You must be a very stupid person indeed to think that.

When that hunter shot Cecil there was tons of people crying about how there's no lions left. There version of the game and fish said there wasn't the resources to support more and people cried foul. Well mother fucker, I guess they were right, there isn't the resources and this further proves it.

When that hunter shot Cecil there was tons of people crying about how there's no lions left. There version of the game and fish said there wasn't the resources to support more and people cried foul. Well mother fucker, I guess they were right, there isn't the resources and this further proves it.
Do you believe everything a government tells you?

Are you familiar with how corrupt the Zimbabwe government is?

See above re: Very stupid.

Do you believe everything a government tells you?

Are you familiar with how corrupt the Zimbabwe government is?

See above re: Very stupid.

In a severe drought do you think an area could support more animals?

How? Can you give some specific examples of social justice gone too far in Zimbabwe?
Gone too far? Sure, they marginalized the people who they said oppressed them. It's the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

I tread lightly here because it's a touchy subject and it's true that Rhodesia's power/economy was disproportionately held in the hands of white people. There were legitimate causes for concern. So I get why some social justice was needed. But once Mugabe solidified power, he started enacting anti-white policies and started seizing their land/farms and giving them to blacks.

That's a perfect example of "too far." It completely backfired, too.
Local+idiot+ruins+everything+president+mugabe+of+the+former+great_db5698_5828433.jpg

just another day in Africa, if we're being honest

"The statement indicated that Zimparks intends to sell to private wildlife reserves, but conservation groups will be watching closely to see if any animals appear destined for hunting concessions."

Hopefully, the corruption doesn't spread to this but I have the feeling that some sales are not going to have an end destination of a wildlife reservation. Not sure what conservation groups can do about it.

You also thought this was relevant and appropriate for the thread, which isn't at all about bleeding hearts

So I guess 0 for 2

Back