Zab Judah training video:

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad this kid is inconsistent and less-than mentally apt.

If he was he'd be a virtuoso, quicker hands than Mayweather. Some say he has a suspect Chin but the only times he's been floored is by picture-perfect punches.

This video was released as a teaser for his fight with Cory Spinks.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6YmaCD9ao

whats up with the hammer to the tire thing? i saw fedor do that.

xinster said:
whats up with the hammer to the tire thing? i saw fedor do that.

Quoting from a Ross Enamait book...

"...Let's now shift our attention to one of the most effective forms of weighted GPP...

The Sledgehammer!

The sledgehammer is an excellent, inexpensive conditioning tool. Regular use will dramatically increase rotational strength throughout the trunk and core. Sledgehammer swinging will strengthen many of the muscles used when punching. Boxers have been swinging the sledgehammer for years.

Recently, sledgehammer training has reemerged among many strength and conditioning coaches.

Why the recent reemergence of sledgehammer training?

Simple answer... Sledgehammer training works. Sledgehammer swinging is an excellent anaerobic strength workout. The sledge will improve work capacity, strengthen the trunk, develop valuable motor unit pathways, and provide one of the most intense grip training sessions you ahve ever experienced.

Dunno if that's all correct but just quoting...

Cheers for the vid King Kabuki.

I'm no boxer, however Zab looks a lot faster and crisper in the later (first) training vid? Everything looks a lot cleaner to me.

I'm gonna have to look into this sledgehammer thing.

Yup Fedor does that too. With the Sledgehammer I mean.

Supposed to help you with generating explosive power.

Although the angle is more helpful for MMA conditioning than boxing IMHO.

Kid

Just a question: why do boxers do so many neck workouts? Like every training vid of a pro boxer I've seen has them lifting weights with their neck. I've never seen this with other athletes.

I've seen the neck stuff with wrestlers. Mainly as conditioning during a training session - but with weights also.

Just a question: why do boxers do so many neck workouts? Like every training vid of a pro boxer I've seen has them lifting weights with their neck. I've never seen this with other athletes.

It helps muscular endurance (keeping the chin tucked for 12 rounds), and it also helps to have strong mucles when absorbing punches.

obeygiant.jpg

ShanghaiBJJ said:
Yup Fedor does that too. With the Sledgehammer I mean.

Supposed to help you with generating explosive power.

Although the angle is more helpful for MMA conditioning than boxing IMHO.

Kid

iunno where you got the idea that the hammer and tire is more suitable for "mma conditioning". athletes have been doing that exercise long before that fedor video floatin around on the net. you gotta realize that explosive power is one of the major focuses of any boxer's routine, given that punching, especially in combinations is anaerobic. anyway, it's meant to strengthen and increase the range of motion in the shoulders which is an attribute of practically all of the great punchers. arguably the hardest hitterr in history, earnie shavers, was always into chopping large amounts of timber, which is the same motion.

KingBee said:

As King Kabuki mentioned it helps with muscle endurance and absorbing punches to the head. When fighters get stunned or knocked out it is usually caused by the brain being bounced around inside the skull causing a disruption in neurological function. Having strong neck muscles help prevent the head from being violently snapped around which helps prevent the brain from getting bounced off the skull walls. The brain sits inside the skull surrounded by a fluid so when someone takes a hard hit to the head the brain can get thrown from one side to the other. Imagine someone hitting a fighter with a powerful uppercut throwing their head back. Remember "An object in motion tends to stays in motion". As the head is thrown back the brain sitting in fluid gets banged by the bottom of the inside of the skull then thrown up against the top of the skull. Or someone hitting a fighter with a right hook followed by a left uppercut (common Mike Tyson knock out). The brain is thrown left and right and up and down against the inside of the skull. Hope this helps.

Here are some examples

Mike Tyson/Lorenzo Boyd (Uppercut)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPW0cQiJ2Ks

Mike Tyson/Michael Spinks (Spinks was 48-0 and had never been knocked down prior to this fight. Watch when he tries to get up the second time. His brain is so jarred the signals are disrupted and he almost ends up on the floor.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h9xMgvOxmY

Various Mike Tyson knock outs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrYmshl82Y

OMG Tyson was a monster (in both a positive & negative way)

I love judah , this might sound stupid , i fight mma and i train boxing ofcourse and try to watch alot of footage of boxers , and i'm abou the same height as judah and sort of the same style with my punches.

Is it good to watch these sort of boxers if you fight mma ?

I love judah , this might sound stupid , i fight mma and i train boxing ofcourse and try to watch alot of footage of boxers , and i'm abou the same height as judah and sort of the same style with my punches.

Is it good to watch these sort of boxers if you fight mma ?

Its not like its bad for you, of course you cant fight exactly like their style in mma but do what you like, better to watch boxing footage to better yourself mmmawise than watching junk tv

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back