News Yushin Okami signs with One Championship

Glad to see him land there. He will be another good asset for them.

Gonna be some good fights for him there.

Going to Japan where the competition is a little easier

giphy.gif

I've been a big fan of Thunder for a while. Hope he does well in ONE.

He should go well there, good move for him

So much for his 2nd ufc title run. They should have Eddie bulk up and fight him that'd be a good matchup.

Question is, which weight class will he be in?

Okami is a legend? Eh, OK.

He won over 10 UFC fights. Top 5 MW of all time. Might be best Japanese fighter who's ever lived. Sakurai lost his UFC title fight too. Okami wasn't released cause he was bad either think he got released off a win because he was too high profile and demanded too high a cost for someone who wasn't in a position to do main events after losing to AS.

Glad to see him end up in one. He may never be the most exciting. But he was one of the best middleweights around back in the day and I hope he does well.

His last bout was sad... He was outpointed in every single aspect of the game. Not because he was out of his prime or anything. Props to Kunchenko for being such a monster.
Okami can be a trouble to Aung if he goes MW. In WW, he will probably be finished in the late rounds against Zebastian.

His last bout was sad... He was outpointed in every single aspect of the game. Not because he was out of his prime or anything. Props to Kunchenko for being such a monster.
Okami can be a trouble to Aung if he goes MW. In WW, he will probably be finished in the late rounds against Zebastian.

Fair to say that Kunchenko is 20-0 and a legit world class fighter. He lacks hype as doesnt even have social media but is as legit as you can get. Also a terrible matchup for Okami, and UFC knew it, they didnt want Yushin around for longer

Okami never cut much weight to make MW, but did cut a ton of weight for WW. I dont think he wil be doing so at ONE FC. Not sure how he will perform these days, the guy is old. Okami from back in the day easily dominates Aung imo. Interesting fight regardless.

He won over 10 UFC fights. Top 5 MW of all time. Might be best Japanese fighter who's ever lived. Sakurai lost his UFC title fight too. Okami wasn't released cause he was bad either think he got released off a win because he was too high profile and demanded too high a cost for someone who wasn't in a position to do main events after losing to AS.

I dont think it was a matter of cost. Okami was figting for 42/42k when he was cut as #6 ranked MW. Not really high. I think he wasnt exciting enough nor was a realistic tittle contender anymore so UFC decided to clear space for the new breed.

I dont think it was a matter of cost. Okami was figting for 42/42k when he was cut as #6 ranked MW. Not really high. I think he wasnt exciting enough nor was a realistic tittle contender anymore so UFC decided to clear space for the new breed.

Well that too but the listed amount isn't the whole salary. That's what gets reported to the commission, don't know what was in his contract which was signed when he was a realistic title contender. Also possibly 84k for one fight multiplied by 2 or 3 a year is a lot in a company where there are paying hundreds of dudes. Okami went 13-5 so they'd be paying the double rate pretty often and he was a boring fighter doubt he got many superlatives but that's another 60-70k if he did. Notice only took one loss to get him out of there.

"Boring" style top talented fighters always get axed by Dana though(and which is why what Colby is doing is so so stupid) if they slip up even a little. Story's repeated itself over and over. Fitch(who was making 66k), Shields, Davis, Bader.

Good point though his release was around the time of Strikeforce closing down and MW got more help from Strikeforce than any other division. Never had made that connection before, that might be it.

Back