• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"You're not the real champ until you defend your title"

The series/season wins to make it there were the fights that Conor won leading up to Aldo, the dominant run he had leading up to him.
Best of 7, you're right. Maybe a bad comparison but in the fight game you never see that many rematches the point was a champion is a champion. Whoever comes out victorious is the champion regardless of what you think.
It wasn't fluke when Aldo fell lifeless to the canvas.

It is NEVER a fluke.

(Agreeing, not arguing btw)

Anyone fighting in a UFC title fight has been training for years to fight. If they land a punch or a sub it is guaranteed they have practiced that technique hundreds of not thousands of times.

There is a certain element of chance (call it luck if you will) in that by its nature fighting includes certain calculated risks, but if someone is fortunate and skilled enough to capitalize on an opportunity, however small or unlikely, then they win fair and square. Every strike is open to the perfect counter, but the stars don't often align... But when they do it is not a fluke. Maybe if some bum literally off the street who never trained a day in their lives KOs a top P4P fighter that would be a fluke, but not for a trained fighter.

That is how I see it at least.

It is NEVER a fluke.

(Agreeing, not arguing btw)

Anyone fighting in a UFC title fight has been training for years to fight. If they land a punch or a sub it is guaranteed they have practiced that technique hundreds of not thousands of times.

There is a certain element of chance (call it luck if you will) in that by its nature fighting includes certain calculated risks, but if someone is fortunate and skilled enough to capitalize on an opportunity, however small or unlikely, then they win fair and square. Every strike is open to the perfect counter, but the stars don't often align... But when they do it is not a fluke. Maybe if some bum literally off the street who never trained a day in their lives KOs a top P4P fighter that would be a fluke, but not for a trained fighter.

That is how I see it at least.
I do agree with you, this is why I'm arguing my point here. These people here are discrediting Conor's W over Aldo because he KO'd him, which is ridiculous.

If Conor never comes back to 145 it would be the case but his win over Aldo is legit and not a fluke, imo.
That 13 second KO is the definition of the word fluke. If they fought 100 more times, Conor may win 100 but I guarantee you it won't end in 13 seconds again.

This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before we were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

Your thoughts?
That belt hasn't been defended yet idiot. Conor's interim belt that he won from Mendes has been successfully defended. Conor is the real, reigning, defending champion.

I will not discredit his win, but I think it was a lucky Punch. Just my opinion...
He throws the same punch in every fight.
That 13 second KO is the definition of the word fluke. If they fought 100 more times, Conor may win 100 but I guarantee you it won't end in 13 seconds again.
So any punch finish is a fluke? If they circled for a few more minutes does it become more legit? When is a clean KO not a fluke in your opinion?

as much as I´m making fun of mcduck in the last weeks... NO

JUST NO

Conor won that convincingly as predicted, zero excuses

Belt is real

He throws the same punch in every fight.

So any punch finish is a fluke? If they circled for a few more minutes does it become more legit? When is a clean KO not a fluke in your opinion?
How many sub 20 second KO's does the UFC have in title fights? Yea, I consider it a fluke.

Jose was gotten to in a way that will not happen again.

I think he was the champ (I say "was" because I don't think he'll defend it) but I do agree that it strongly affects his legacy as champ, especially coming off of a win that a lot of ppl wonder how easily that could have been a loss.

If that becomes his claim to fame it falls greatly short of what he'd predicted and what many of us started believing to be possible. If it comes to a flash ko of a GOAT, it's still something, but something MUCH smaller and less than I'd expected from Conor.

A flash KO of a GOAT lands you squarely in Matt Serra territory in my opinion. But yes, still a former champ.

How many sub 20 second KO's does the UFC have in title fights? Yea, I consider it a fluke.

Jose was gotten to in a way that will not happen again.
You are caught up on the time. It was a punch KO. At what time of the clock wound it not be a fluke?

It's considered "lucky" when the likelihood of it ever happening that way a again is pretty much nonexistent.

If Aldo rushes at him the exact same way with the exact same combo, it most likely will happen again just the same.

Out of curiosity, for those claiming fluke. Can it really be a fluke if it was predicted beforehand in explicit and incredibly accurate detail?

That belt hasn't been defended yet idiot. Conor's interim belt that he won from Mendes has been successfully defended. Conor is the real, reigning, defending champion.
I respectfully disagree.

The bout with Jose was a unification. In order to defend the interim belt Conor would have had to fight someone else before Aldo. He did not.

It is a technicality but as I understand it Conor has not defended as the interim title ceases to exist as soon as there was an undisputed champ (Conor), as there is no longer a Need for the interim title, which is by definition a placeholder while the champ is unable to defend the undisputed belt.

Aldo would have been credited with a defense of his belt if he won, however Conor was the challenger for that belt so he simply gained the undisputed title (and poof the interim title disappears).

Conor won the interim title then won the undisputed title, no defenses. Reigning, yes. But no defenses thus far.

It seems cheap to win a belt but never defend it.

But with that said, Conor is a very bad style match up for Aldo. I could see him defeating Aldo a second time, but Aldo could take it with a good game plan. If Aldo can:
1. Effectively take out Conors legs without being countered
2. Get him to the ground
I can see him dismantling Conor...but that is a big if. Conor has striking accuracy, and when he gets on a roll is hard to stop, but I question his (mental/heart) ability to survive adversity. I don't see Aldo winning a 5 round decision over Conor though unless he blows Conors legs out badly, but who knows.

I would like to see a rematch between the 2. Aldo deserves it as a long time reigning, defending champion.

This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before we were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

Your thoughts?

agree with the premise

conor don't want none of frankie

I respectfully disagree.

The bout with Jose was a unification. In order to defend the interim belt Conor would have had to fight someone else before Aldo. He did not.

It is a technicality but as I understand it Conor has not defended as the interim title ceases to exist as soon as there was an undisputed champ (Conor), as there is no longer a Need for the interim title, which is by definition a placeholder while the champ is unable to defend the undisputed belt.

Aldo would have been credited with a defense of his belt if he won, however Conor was the challenger for that belt so he simply gained the undisputed title (and poof the interim title disappears).

Conor won the interim title then won the undisputed title, no defenses. Reigning, yes. But no defenses thus far.

lol nope

the interim belt was a sham

can't defend a sham interim belt against the real champion

lol nope

the interim belt was a sham

can't defend a sham interim belt against the real champion
The UFC has been throwing interim belts around like Cracker Jacks prizes lately.

It used to be pretty straightforward- IF and only IF the champ was injured and not be able to defend within a year (sometimes more, which I believe has happened with Cruz and Cain, possibly others) then an interim title could be established.

Now if a champ is pulled from a card, even if they will be back in 2-3 months, it seem to be automatic interim belt BS. To the point where fighters are saying "I don't want that belt, I won't wear it, it is a fake belt" (except maybe Condit, he knew that was his pinnacle as long as GSP was around)

The fact that Frankie and Jose are fighting for a fake belt while Conor is perfectly healthy and was going to fight on the same card is about as absurd as it gets.
Reminds me of the non-title fights in pride where people could beat the champ and not get the belt (Diaz, Arona, Misaki)

It's silly. You're either the champion or you aren't, but combat fans love their imaginary fantasy land of p4p GOATS and other crap like this.

Your thoughts?

MCGregor won the belt against Mendes. He defended it against Aldo.

As for these many who believe? have you just made that up? or do many really believe? Who believes that the Aldo/Edgar belt is the real one?

I'd agree with this. There have been plenty of people that won the belt then went on to lose a bunch in a row.

Will Rampage, Griffin or Evans be remembered like Jones will be?

Not really...

Back