Your Thoughts and Opinions: Robbie Lawler's Style Switch

Old vs New Lawler

• Total voters

The Don

If there is no struggle, there is no progress
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Robbie Lawler has always opted for a more aggressive approach in his fighting style. Ever since his UFC return, he seemed to have polished his striking even more and showed great balance between counter striking and aggression up until the second Johnny Hendricks fight (If I remember correctly) Ever since their rematch, Lawler seemed to have dialed down his aggression and seemed to have leaned towards counter striking a bit more.

I think this switch of style was even more evident in the Rory Macdonald fight. Sometimes I wonder how that fight would have gone differently (If it would have at all) if Robbie fought the way he has always fought.

I feel like Robbie's decision to change up his style was detrimental and disadvantageous to his title defenses and I think that caused the discussions about him being the most underwhelming champion (Of course, I disagree).

What do you guys think? What's your opinions?

Im still in awe of how many fans calls Lawler/Mcdonald 2 a "brawl". It was a great great fight no doubt. A war, but far from a fucking brawl lol. Robbie was throwing technical crisp straight punches all night. That's about the sharpest i've ever seen him.

Lawler/Condit was a brawl tho.

Im still in awe of how many fans calls Lawler/Mcdonald 2 a "brawl". It was a great great fight no doubt. A war, but far from a fucking brawl lol. Robbie was throwing technical crisp straight punches all night. That's about the sharpest i've ever seen him.

Lawler/Condit was a brawl tho.

It was undoubtedly a technical war. Both men giving each other 25 minutes of hell. Most people use the word brawl when fights are back and forth, and I think that's what they mean by that.

Waiting to counter got him KOed. He landed maybe like 5 punches in three minutes against Woodley

"BRING BACK MFS LAWLER!!!"

He got older and learned to tailor his style to the resulting diminished gas tank. Is normal.

Also, USADA & ATT love affair.

"BRING BACK MFS LAWLER!!!"

He got older and learned to tailor his style to the resulting diminished gas tank. Is normal.

Also, USADA & ATT love affair.

Come to think about it, the style switch might be a great decision to prolong his fighting career!

Didn't he stop using a regular boxing coach after the 1st or second Hendricks fights?

You could noticeably see his boxing technique decline in the condit fight. He had condit hurt and would have a much better chance at putting him away if he straightened his punches out. He was throwing so wide toward the end it was infuriating.

If Robbie fights Diaz next then he must bring the pressure. If he lets Diaz control the fight or if he lets Nick start getting his timing he'll pick Lawler apart. He's a nasty brawler, not a boxer.

Hndricks outstruck him in the rematch, and he was never exactly the crispest of strikers. Lawler relied on toughness and durability to get him through the McDonald and Condit fights, and then that durability inexplicably vanished the moment Woodley made contact with his chin. He almost seemed like a diminished, less enhanced fighter, so to speak.

Hndricks outstruck him in the rematch, and he was never exactly the crispest of strikers. Lawler relied on toughness and durability to get him through the McDonald and Condit fights, and then that durability inexplicably vanished the moment Woodley made contact with his chin. He almost seemed like a diminished, less enhanced fighter, so to speak.
Yeah and Lawlers physique was bit different in the Woodley fight too imo like little softer and less muscular then before.

zw7Hmu

The difference between the two is overstated

But -brawling Lawler never wins a title

Lawler with a jab does and that guy was still an offensive minded pressure fighter

The counter fighter that we saw against Condit, was because he refused to jab due to a change in striking coaches

He got better, didn't necessarily change his style imo.

Didn't he stop using a regular boxing coach after the 1st or second Hendricks fights?

You could noticeably see his boxing technique decline in the condit fight. He had condit hurt and would have a much better chance at putting him away if he straightened his punches out. He was throwing so wide toward the end it was infuriating.

It did grind my gears a little. We saw him throw crisp straight lefts all night against Rory, wonder why he just didn't do the same against Condit.

The difference between the two is overstated

But -brawling Lawler never wins a title

Lawler with a jab does and that guy was still an offensive minded pressure fighter

The counter fighter that we saw against Condit, was because he refused to jab due to a change in striking coaches

Lawler is really good at being offensive and countering, I think he best showcased this in the Brown fight. Although, I didn't know until now that he switched striking coaches. Which coach did he have in his corner and camp during the Woodley fight?

He got better, didn't necessarily change his style imo.

I don't know, he fought differently ever since the Rory fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back