Your favourite sweeps from closed guard?

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've begun to realise that sweeps are much more beautiful to see than submissions & although I want to bust many a submission on my opponents, I have great satisfaction when getting a sweep.

This is a big topic so I thought I'd aim it mainly for sweeps from closed guard. For me, the two most successful sweeps I can perform are the kimura grip sweep & the arm drag, scissor sweep. That is most probably not the correct names but at training, we rarely are given specific names for techniques unless it is triangle, kimura etc.

For those who may not get me, here is a brief description of the sweeps:

Kimura attempt to sweep
1. From closed guard, pull opponent towards you (the actual sweep works better if they lean right back or even just upright, but the majority of experienced grapplers keep a good balance between leaning too far back & too far forward) using your legs so they land with their arms either close to your body or even better, palm(s) down on the mat.
2. If you are wanting to attack their right arm you need to grab at their right wrist with your left palm & immediately swoop your own right hand over to the side of the arm you are attacking. Then, you pass that right hand around the back of their arm & grab your own wrist of your left hand.
3. If the kimura itself has failed (perhaps your opponent has countered the attack) yet you have maintained the position, it is more than likely that their right side of their body is still vulnerable. Their body is now not equally posted as they have one of the posts (in this case, their arm) gripped in a figure four style.
From this position, all you need to do is drop your closed guard & bridge your body to the side where the arm is being held. To aid the sweep, you can pull back towards your body.

Armbar attempt to scissor sweep
1. You have your opponent in closed guard & you have established a cross grip on their arm yet you cannot shift your body or isolate the arm well enough to attempt an armbar. The cross grip, is a good technique to trap an opponents arm. I am usually pretty lazy with this grip but I notice a big difference with the security I obtain when doing the grip properly.

The grip, if attacking the left arm, is like so. You grab at their left wrist with your right hand & hold it close to your chest. In most cases, it is diffucult to have this secure as an opponent may be sweaty or strong enough to break a single handed grip. To make the grip stronger, pass your left hand onto the back of their tricep & try to pull their left arm to the right side of their body (this makes it slightly easier to pop your hips up for the submission & also gets them off balance). If the sub attempt has failed, you still have a good chance to sweep them from here.

2. If your foot is on their hips on half a leg is up their back, it probably isn't a bad position but I tend to go back to closed guard if the sub attempt has failed.

3. From here, in this case, we have their left arm, I would drop my right leg as a turn my hip to the right. I leave my leg next to their knee, the area of your leg is like the fold part between your calve & quad at the back.

3. From here, make a hook with your left left leg by placing your left shin on their belly (hooking your foot at their side makes the sweep easier to control your opponent).

4. The movements are normally easier to be done fast & in conjunction with one another, but this final bit will normally get your opponent off balance even if they see the move coming. From the hooked position, pull the trapped arm away from their body, towards your own & almost kick/push your hooked leg towards the arm that is trapped. The sweep normally lands you diagonal from your starting position.

Similar to the kimura sweep you are left pretty much with the original sub attempt failed, but you always have mount to work from, which isn't bad at all.

What are your own favourite sweeps. The two above are not pretty, but generally pretty effective. I often see guys pissed with people stalling & strongly defending their sub attempts. These may be able to help.

If possible, give a desciption of the sweeps. I haven't exactly given up on guard sub attempts, but I like sweeping, it is less expected by a newbie as a lot of guys seem to waste alot of energy working triangles that don't lock in.

The scissor sweep is the only one I know from full guard, so that is my favorite. I can hardly pull it off though. I usually telegraph what I am doing, which allows them to get a good base. I usually just open my guard a bit and wait until they try to pass.

I enjoy a pendulum sweep based-closed guard game. Unhooking a leg and turning the hips out sets up not just the pendulum sweep, but armbars, triangles, omoplatas and taking the back. It's also easy to reclose if they give you trouble, which I have trouble doing once I've turned sideways for the scissors sweep.

My favorite sweep is from the half guard, its where your on your side on the bottom, lets say you have their right leg trapped in half guard....you are laying on your right side with your left leg across their waist with your foot hooking the hip....you reach with your right hand under their left leg and the take your left hand and grab their right wrist, then your left knee goes up into the crook of their elbow of their right arm...then your lift their left leg pull down the wrist and drive your knee into the elbow at the same time.....its set up quick it just takes long to explain...i probly did a shitty job explaining.....but thats half guard so i strayed from the thread title

Favorite to hit? Whatever is available. Favorite in general? Flower sweeps are probably the coolest looking sweeps. And I also love sweeps with a foot-on-knee finish, so his base slides out from under him. But flower sweeps are just nasty.

i really dont get a lot of sweeps from guard anymore, i get my position changes by causing scrambles/ getting out of side mount im usually able to get into their guard

elevator sweep is kool, works great when your opponent posts his leg to pass, you underhook his thigh with your instep and press your calf against his knee as with a scissor sweep, sweep the calf in and kick the foot up. Also for when the scissor or elevator sweeps dont work try the push versions: rather than sweeping their knee inward with your calf, push their knee toward their foot with the bottom of your foot.

Quality post Big Red. This is the reason I keep coming back here: to actually learn something. Thanks dude.

I only know one closed guard sweep in which you don't have to open the guard to finish... not sure if I could describe it right without visuals, but I'll try.

-Closed guard, control your opponent at the sleave on the seam near his armpit (for explination purpose your left hand controling their right arm), other hand control the leg by grabbing the pants as near their ankle as possible (in this case right hand grabbing oponents left pant leg).
-Next pull them into you using their sleave and your legs. as you bring them forward their leg gets lighter...
-Lift the leg at the same time extending your body and rolling to your left. (Note: You only need to pull them in long enough to lighten the leg and start to lift.)
-Continue to lift the leg and roll all the way to your belly. At a certain point you can let go of the arm with your left hand and use that arm to help continue the roll.
-You are not rolling toward them, so when you end up it's like finding yourself in a high full mount with your head posted on the mat above their head...

Like I said, hard to explain, if I get a chance I'll get some pictures...

My game is all sweeps from guard, closed or otherwise.... Lets see... I have pulled off a grapevine sweep, but it's not too easy. It helps to have long legs.

-Closed guard. Control their right sleave with your left hand. Open your guard, and turn your hips (don't hip out) towards your right leg.
-Grapevine his left leg with your right hooking your foot near the ankle.
-To lock in the grapevine (this is where long legs are helpful) turn your hips back over to the left and extend you right leg.
-While extending the leg pull them into you using your grip on their sleave, as you pull them in their leg gets light using your grapevine lift their leg as high as you can and turn them with it as you turn.

I've seen my favorite sweep described as the the Airplane Sweep, but I'm not sure that is it's officail BJJ name.

Basically I've got the guy in my Spider guard. If they for some reason stand to try to pass or stack, I shift both my feet onto their belly, or hips, and hoist up and over, much like a Judo tomoe nage throw.

Bubble boy, I always called it the elevator. I like to pull it off from de la riva guard. Keep you one hook behind their leg and elevate the same with the other.

Bubble Boy said:
Quality post Big Red. This is the reason I keep coming back here: to actually learn something. Thanks dude.

Same here mate. Thanks, I have little knowledge but I hope it can help people.

Ybot said:
My game is all sweeps from guard, closed or otherwise.... Lets see... I have pulled off a grapevine sweep, but it's not too easy. It helps to have long legs.

-Closed guard. Control their right sleave with your left hand. Open your guard, and turn your hips (don't hip out) towards your right leg.
-Grapevine his left leg with your right hooking your foot near the ankle.
-To lock in the grapevine (this is where long legs are helpful) turn your hips back over to the left and extend you right leg.
-While extending the leg pull them into you using your grip on their sleave, as you pull them in their leg gets light using your grapevine lift their leg as high as you can and turn them with it as you turn.

Good description. I like the sound of that sweep. In comparison to my body I have quite long legs, I'll give this one a shot.

Aesopian said:
I enjoy a pendulum sweep based-closed guard game.

wow thanks man. i used to love that sweep and i haven't tried it in a year and a half or more. i really don't play closd guard a lot any more but i'm going to try and start working that back into my game.

I work my Scissor Sweep alot, just grab a collar and a sleeve, then go for it.

There is a simple technique I never use anymore, perhaps I'm trying to hard to perform beautiful looking moves & not look scrappy. It isn't really a sweep. It is a newbie manouver that gets dumped when people learn a thing or two.

I use to find if I simple overhooked both my opponents arms whilst holding them in my guard & then moving both my heels on my opponents knees & pushing my body away from them I could pull some sort of sloppy looking turnover.

I was reading a single leg technique in one of my BJJ books that looks a whole lot prettier, but I remember I was successful with that sloppy sounding turnover in my beginning days of BJJ.

Here is another one I forgot. I learned not too long ago but it is very basic & if you are fast it is pretty unstoppable. Again, my apologies for my poor naming of this technique but I'll call it this:

Bicep slicer to roll over sweep
1. Again in closed guard. Pick an arm, for desciption purposes, I'll have the right arm as the attacked arm. Grab opponents right gi sleeve with your left hand. Maintain control of opponents other arm with your other hand in a similar fashion.
2. Open guard to push your hips out to get space to perform the sweep. People have their own preferances, but I personally find that this works for me; If I'm attacking opponents right arm in this type of technique, I open my guard & put my right foot on their left hip & push away maintaining grip. My left leg is tight to their body whilst I do this. Once I have room I pass my left leg over their right arm and under their armpit. I find finding enough rooms to shift my hips is the key to making this technique easier.
3. From here, you could probably drop the grip on your opponents other arm but I like to push the arm away or raise my right knee against their arm as I go to finish the sweep.
4. The finish is to roll over to your left, preferably I'll try a somersault, but I am sure a sloppy side roll would work. The grip on your opponents arm, in particular the bicep, causes such pressure they need to roll with you to relieve the stress of the technique.

Here is one I was taught a while back but never can pull off. It has kind of been forgotten by me but I reminded myself a second ago.

Under leg sweep to knee on belly
1. Similar to the method of shifting your hips out to get space to get an arm, you need to use opponents hips to push away from whilst maintaining a good grip on their gi sleeve to get room.
2. If you are wanting to sweep them to their left so that you land with your right knee on their belly here is what works for me. My left leg is thrown over the outside of my opponents right arm and passed back under their arm pit on the same side.
3. I then place my shin across their belly with my parallel to my own foot under opponents armpit (basically, both feet need to be on the same side).
4. Pass your arm under opponents left leg & bring yourself as under your opponent as possible to get them off balance OR if strong enough, bring them to you so that they are almost hovering above you.
5. Kick up your body & your off balance opponent should easily be swept over no matter their weight. The position you sit up in & the way your body is against your swept opponent leaves you pretty much with knee on belly.

Also, here is a nice no gi sweep by lockflow called the 2 x 4 sweep. (great site btw). a similar principle to a scissor sweep with what seems an effective no gi grip.

Those are nice but you can't actually sweep from a closed guard unless your opponent stands or just falls over. You have to open your legs.

I have two sweeps that I'm currently using fairly effectively recently.

The first is a combination from scissor sweep (or at least what I think of as scissor sweep I think its the same move you guys call scissor sweep):

-I take a left handed grip on their right sleeve and a right handed grip on their collar

-I open guard and turn my hips so that I'm on my left hand side with my left leg against their leg and my right knee has driven across their chest with my foot left behind against their hip.

- I try to scissor sweep by trying to continue turning to my left and driving my right leg over the top and left leg underneath. this is blocked by my opponent putting their weight in the opposite direction, pretty much all their weight should now be on my right, bent leg.

- I lift my right leg up and turn it over so my knee goes to the right and my foot goes left, this twisting motion should dump them off to the right.

-Follow over the top to mount.

The key to this sweep is to time the twisting of the right leg to tie in with the opponent trying to resist the first sweep attempt.

My second sweep is from half guard:

-I'm in half guard with my right leg between theirs, I set up a kimura position on the right side of their body (from my perspective) and turn my body to the right and relax my legs.

-At this point my opp. should think I'm trying to kimura them and have forgotten about the legs, so they will try to pass half guard by moving their entrapped leg to the outside.

- at this point i straighten up my body and bridge upwards, I then use the kimura to try and roll them upwards and left, over their trapped shoulder. I then turn into side mount.

This move relies upon some speed and timing and uses the fact they think they're getting a better position, to put them in a position from which they can't post to stop themselves rolling.

SmashiusClay said:
I have two sweeps that I'm currently using fairly effectively recently.

The first is a combination from scissor sweep (or at least what I think of as scissor sweep I think its the same move you guys call scissor sweep):

-I take a left handed grip on their right sleeve and a right handed grip on their collar

-I open guard and turn my hips so that I'm on my left hand side with my left leg against their leg and my right knee has driven across their chest with my foot left behind against their hip.

- I try to scissor sweep by trying to continue turning to my left and driving my right leg over the top and left leg underneath. this is blocked by my opponent putting their weight in the opposite direction, pretty much all their weight should now be on my right, bent leg.

- I lift my right leg up and turn it over so my knee goes to the right and my foot goes left, this twisting motion should dump them off to the right.

-Follow over the top to mount.

The key to this sweep is to time the twisting of the right leg to tie in with the opponent trying to resist the first sweep attempt.

http://bjj.org/techniques/aranha/beltflip/
Is this what you are referring to (Belt Sweep)? Good sweep, I use it as a counter to the Scissor Sweep.

Back