Your favourite sci-fi film of the 21st century?

Hmmm... Maybe Edge of Tomorrow or Predestination. I liked Moon quite a bit. Quite a few good ones though...Oblivion, Ex Machina, Arrival, Interstellar, etc.

Predestination is one of those ones no one has heard about, but is a must watch IMO. Complete mind fuck.

For me Matrix is the ultimate #1 sci-fi movie.

Predestination is one of those ones no one has heard about, but is a must watch IMO. Complete mind fuck.

For me Matrix is the ultimate #1 sci-fi movie.
tricking film bros into watching something about transexuality

Annihilation is a weird one. And it's open to interpretation whether anything that happened was done by the alien(s) on purpose, unintentionally or were they too a victims.
Did they set up the zone intentionally to mirror what the conditions are on their home?
Did they understand what it does to humans?
Was the zone a result of a malfunction of their ship since the implication was that they crashed?

Series would be BSG or Expanse.

Film - Marvel Infinity war. ......... Interstellar 2nd and Avatar 3rd

Just skimmed an not 1 mention of Infinity War ....... <{hfved}>

capeshit is its own category, its not sci fi

Tons of my favorites including probably my favorite have been mentioned so far: Edge of Tomorrow, Ex Machina, Predestination, Dune, Blade 2049, Primer, Moon, Inception, Minority Report. I can tell that most of us subconsciously categorize Comic films and Animated films as something else because otherwise I know the MCU films, the Spider-Man Spiderverse franchise, the best X-Men films, and probably also Wall-E would be mentioned. Although I do see Logan was mentioned. All incredible movies.

One of the greatest hard sci-fis of all time if not the greatest:
1706691878834.png

Don't forget this one was 2001.
1706691964107.png

Maybe the greatest movie in any genre of the 21st century so far.
1706692015193.png

I loved this film, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
1706692187395.png

Along with Predestination this was one of the coolest concept movies that transcended its flaws thanks to such an awesome conceit.
1706692316696.png

Blade Runner 2049 was way better than i ever hoped it would be.
Annihilation was done from three books which were pretty good and it's the closest to Stalker we got in a long time, even though it's nowhere near that level of self reflection.
District 9 was also fantastic.
Sunshine.

Matrix
Ex Machina
Intersteller
Blade Runner 2949
Edge of Tomorrow
Cant go past Terminator as well
And why the hell has noone mentioned Aliens 2

Coherence
Coherence I thought was brilliantly done, and genuinely quite scary and suspenseful. Character-piece of a group of friends at a dinner gathering when some strange things start happening....

An under-appreciated movie for sure, gets a big thumbs up from me.

And why the hell has noone mentioned Aliens 2
A very good James Cameron movie and undoubtedly quality sci-fi but.......... the thread title is "....sci-fi film of the 21st Century" which means movies released in the year 2000 and later.

Aliens was released in 1986....which is 20th Century.

A lot of good mentions.

Her and Upgrade are 2 others I think deserve mentioning.

One of my absolute favorite sci-fi movies of the 21st Century is a movie called "Sunshine" (2007).

Starring Cillian Murphy (he of Oppenheimer, 28 Days later, Dunkirk etc) and Chris Evans and the lovely Aussie Rose Byrne.

Highly recommended, big TV recommended, and ...night-time viewing for max effect. Great music score by John Murphy, superb effects, the plot is good and brisk moving, an under-appreciated sci-fi masterpiece in my view.
Danny Boyle directed.

Sunshine MoviePoster.jpg

Dune or Blade Runner 2049

Some runner ups: Dredd, Edge of Tomorrow, Prometheus.

I can't wait for Dune 2!

this bot just reads and regurgitates movie reviews.

2 thumbs down.
Hey dude I am a 50-something year old dude who has spent approx 30+ years of my adult life watching movies in cinema, TVs and currently my large laptop.
Photographer continuously since November 1987, (first Nikon SLR bought then)m first for fun then professionally. Ain't no frigging BOT going on here man so quit with that shit. A bot isn't gonna make 20,000posts on Sherdog over 5.5 years or whatever the hell it is now lol, and fool everyone that i'm not a real person.

I do NOT read movie reviews and plagiarize anything, GTFO with that shit. Any movie I comment on is simply because i've seen it and (probalby) liked it, often multiple times (Coherence I'd say i've watched 5 times at least now). Bit of background info : I shoot video for a living and pro photos for a living (example : I have a paid Live band shoot on Friday, bringing 4 remote-control flashguns for that, 2 cameras, 3lenses, plus grip gear for the lights) so I do know a lot about cinematography and lighting and lenses, shutter-angles, color-grading in post and 27 other movie/video-related technical and artistic things that you have no clue about, and never will.

Get out of this thread if you cannot handle others being more knowledgeable and making decent quality posts which *contribute* to the thread. If all you can do is create lies / negativity and attempt to tear other posters down, you should leave Sherdog permanently --- we don't need or want you here.

Back