your favorite techniques from clinch

4degrees

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been doing Jiu-jitsu for a couple years now, but with very little emphasis on the clinch game and takedowns. I'm curious what you guys think are some of the more basic and effective takedowns from the clinch.

For BJJ I'd say any sutemi waza.
You pretty much grab someone and take him down with ya.

Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari is my favorite. Assuming an orthodox grappling stance attack their left leg with your right leg using Ouchi Gari to make them withdraw it and expose their right leg, you then use your right leg to reap it with Osoto Gari at an angle. I'm a bit mean with my balance-breaking and usually push my right hand with the collar grip into their throat and up under the jaw when I change to the Osoto Gari while pulling down and putting some rotation into the balance-breaking with the sleeve grip.

Last edited:
duckunders are fantastic as soon as you work for an underhook which i use with an inverted wrist grip, if i can't go all the way behind then i take an inside single

greco clinch => inside/outside trip

:cool:

This all day long.

I also like old school head and arm, and if I ever got luck enough to get a duckunder then were going full bore suplex.

I use hit the duckunder to suplex in hihgschool wrstling all the time and the head in arm is good for the bigger guys utilizes youre size and hip strength.!

Nice forumn TS!

Uchi mata.

And another takedown which I don't know the name of. Overhook their left arm, control the right wrist, with your head in the pocket. Keeping your right arm pinched tight, you sit down and straighten your leg blocking his foot/feet. As seen in this clip of Nate learning it from Manny from about the 1:00-1:30 portion I don't use Manny's way just because they have that free hand to post with and normally I'm not as strong as my opponent so I'd like as many advantages as possible. And yes, I learned this clinch move from this video as well.

Lastly, would be sacrifice throws. I loooove sacrifice throws. I suck at them, but when I do hit them I'm like "Oooh yeah, brother!"

This all day long.

I also like old school head and arm, and if I ever got luck enough to get a duckunder then were going full bore suplex.

I use hit the duckunder to suplex in hihgschool wrstling all the time and the head in arm is good for the bigger guys utilizes youre size and hip strength.!

Nice forumn TS!

+1

I like HnA throw bc it allows we smaller but stronger (retard/oldman strength) competitors to toss around the bigger guys w/o a lot of set-up :cool:

it was nice but the guy doesn't have a good inside single

agreed, seemed like he hadnt wrestled much in HS. but I liked his chaining, showing that persistence is everything when a technique gets blocked/stopped.

agreed, seemed like he hadnt wrestled much in HS. but I liked his chaining, showing that persistence is everything when a technique gets blocked/stopped.

i loved the 2nd shot, the way he cleared the guy's arm and then finished by blocking the leg, you know what they say "you may stop a guy taking you down once or twice but the third,fourth....times you are going down

Leghook takedown. Bread and butter. Once you have the clinch and get their leg up in the air a little, it's a done deal.

Also love the duck under, and the many great options it brings.

If you have the angle, you can also drop to a double leg with knee tap.

And don't forget that you can use the clinch to control and deliver devastating shots. It's a very advantageous position.

In the clinch (which is my strength), I like to go over under and then link hands and basically bodylock the guy with one of his arms trapped. I then step behind the leg that is the same as his trapped arm and run him down. I also work for double underhooks and then lock hands and bear hug (basically same as first technique but minus the trapped arm) and run the guy down. I wrestle in the 220 weight class and I am pretty strong and a lot more athletic than a lot of the other kids I wrestle so they just kind of topple over so these work great for me. I hit this on some coaches and my varsity teammates that aren't fat so it works on everyone. You can also get a collar tie with whatever arm is stronger and snap the guy into a front headlock, pull him down to the mat and then spin behind him and take the back or go for a guillotine/anaconda choke if you're doing BJJ (which you are).

From the clinch I like knees and elbows to the face. It usually works as a td eventually

The clinch is bar far, my best in terms of setting up take downs. :D

From the head-arm clinch. I generally go for one of 3 things:

1.) High crotch --> double leg
2.) Snap down --> double leg (have you noticed I like double legs? :D)
3.)Russian (2 on 1) --> into an armspin

From the other type of clinch... dunno what to call it exactly lol, but where I have one of their arms under my armpit. I go for:

1.) Arm spin
2.) Suicide throw
3.) arm drag

In the clinch (which is my strength), I like to go over under and then link hands and basically bodylock the guy with one of his arms trapped. I then step behind the leg that is the same as his trapped arm and run him down. I also work for double underhooks and then lock hands and bear hug (basically same as first technique but minus the trapped arm) and run the guy down. I wrestle in the 220 weight class and I am pretty strong and a lot more athletic than a lot of the other kids I wrestle so they just kind of topple over so these work great for me. I hit this on some coaches and my varsity teammates that aren't fat so it works on everyone. You can also get a collar tie with whatever arm is stronger and snap the guy into a front headlock, pull him down to the mat and then spin behind him and take the back or go for a guillotine/anaconda choke if you're doing BJJ (which you are).

I'm not a big wrestler, but if you do that body lock and just drive forward like that, couldn't he lock his arms in the same type of position around you and just lateral throw you? o_O

I'm not a big wrestler, but if you do that body lock and just drive forward like that, couldn't he lock his arms in the same type of position around you and just lateral throw you? o_O

well it depends since to get a latera drop you need to create lateral motion by either leaning to one side or forcing the guy to the side,if he is running then yeah it's easy but if he has a tight low bearhug and control of your hips then it's very hard to do so

well it depends since to get a latera drop you need to create lateral motion by either leaning to one side or forcing the guy to the side,if he is running then yeah it's easy but if he has a tight low bearhug and control of your hips then it's very hard to do so

Yea, I guess that makes sense.

For some reason I had a picture of that grip you were talking about as mid back level, not lower back crunching forward. lol

Yea, I guess that makes sense.

For some reason I had a picture of that grip you were talking about as mid back level, not lower back crunching forward. lol
bear hug really low or really high to make it uncomfortable for them and harder to counter and if you can lift them up on their toes you can easily trip/footsweep them

Back