• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favorite movie about sales, finance, financial crime

What's your money pick?

• Total voters
Dunno.

All are due for a rewarch.
Cept money never sleeps of course.

Im watching this thread so if you want to go ahead and bump it every so often that would be great.

I wanted to stick with dramas that take the subject seriously.
Fair enough.

You can't make a comment like that and then follow it up with "I'm not a hater."
I didn't think I had to back it up, it's not exactly an outlandish statement. Look at his body of work. The Riddick movies were good and then ok, The Pacifier was terrible, the GOTG movies were great but not goatly, the Fast and the Furious movies are exactly what they need to be, Iron Giant didn't blow my mind, Find Me Guilty was a decent legal dramedy, and then there's the rest of his stuff like xXx. I like some of those I mentioned even though not many other people did (like Chronicles of Riddick and xXx) but cmon man.

Fair enough.

I didn't think I had to back it up, it's not exactly an outlandish statement. Look at his body of work. The Riddick movies were good and then ok, The Pacifier was terrible, the GOTG movies were great but not goatly, the Fast and the Furious movies are exactly what they need to be, Iron Giant didn't blow my mind, Find Me Guilty was a decent legal dramedy, and then there's the rest of his stuff like xXx. I like some of those I mentioned even though not many other people did (like Chronicles of Riddick and xXx) but cmon man.

I don't see what that has to do with Boiler Room. You're basically saying, "His other movies weren't great so that means this one can't be either."

Not only does that not work out logically, but in Boiler Room he is just one member of an ensemble cast. The star of the film is Giovanni Ribisi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf of Wall Street for widespread appeal/entertainment value.

Gg/GR for one of the strongest casts of all time... if Alec Baldwin won a supporting actor academy award for the" coffee is for closers scene", it wouldnt even be controversial... it was that good.

There are elements, sure, but the film's on this list are much more narrowly focused on the financial sector and the what goes on there.

If I worked at Blockbuster, and we had a specific section for financial films, I'd bypass it and shelve It's a Wonderful Life in the Drama section.

The people listing Office Space made me think of it, but I see it's not on your poll. I can see what you were going for with those listed movies.

All of those movies would be in the drama section. Who would make a section for a such a small subgenre, with very few standout movies? What about American Psycho?

Saving Private Ryan

All of those movies would be in the drama section. Who would make a section for a such a small subgenre, with very few standout movies?

No, but I am saying that in the event that happened, I would not shelve It's a Wonderful Life with Wolf of Wall Street.

It's a Wonderful Life would go in the general Drama section, unless there's a Christmas section.

What about American Psycho?

No, it may take please in Manhattan but it's not really about business or finance. It's about a psycho murderer.

No, it may take please in Manhattan but it's not really about business or finance. It's about a psycho murderer.

He's an investment banker who works on Wall Street. He's into murders and executions. I mean Mergers and Acquisitions. He's someone bored with that lifestyle, and the movie's a satire on materialism. It's supposed to be ambiguous in whether those violent things actually happened or not.

It’s a toss up for me between Wall Street and GGGR.

Amongst everything else that makes Wall Street obviously great, I was always moved to the core by Martin Sheen’s words to Charlie at the end—when he basically says that Charlie made all that money by “making” nothing, and that it’s better to “make something.”

Of course GGGR is essentially a perfect film on all fronts. Spectacularly flawless.

Boy, I want punch everyone from GGGR right in their cocksucker. Great representation of salesman, scum of the earth, may they and marketers die of gonnorea and rot in hell.

Harrowing realism. Academy award material, for sure.

When's the poll close?

glengarry_steak_knives-thumb-425x239-36577.jpg

Glengarry, I watch random scenes every day before going to sleep.

The Wolf of Wall Street is so damn bad.

The Wolf of Wall Street is so damn bad.
GGGR for me and Wolf of Wall Street bored me where it was like I was a kid again sitting through a late-night B-movie just for the hope of a nipple slip (Margot Robbie).

GGGR for me and Wolf of Wall Street bored me where it was like I was a kid again sitting through a late-night B-movie just for the hope of a nipple slip (Margot Robbie).

GGGR and The Big Short are really the only two films on the list that I particularly like. I voted Big Short because it's more clearly anti-right wing deregulatory financial anti-logic

Back