• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy Young job seekers are finding it tougher to find employment, despite a bustling labor market:

I've also read that younger folks are earning a bit of a reputation for being entitled twats with no social skills, and employers are wary of hiring them.
Our youngest has been completing her grad school internship working in nutrition programs at some local hospitals. She was told that several parents have accompanied students on interviews related to these internships. Imagine being a junior/senior in college or going to grad school and having mommy/daddy go to an interview for anything.

Calling BS on Huang. My guess is she 100% hasn't taken the FE exam or hasn't told potential employers when she's planning to.
Got 3 degrees and never once mentioned any co-op or internship she worked over the summer

Really comes across as a red flag that she's super studious but there are questions about if she can be a hard worker at an actual job, and in the job interviews she's not answering in a way that alleviates those concerns to potential employers.

I saw this all the time with me and my friends. Those of us who did co-ops or internships had full time jobs accepted before we graduated even if grades were only ok. Our 3.8+ GPA friends who didn't do any co-ops or internships were still looking and had been turned down a few times already. A lot of them ended up going for Masters degrees.

Requiring an entry level worker in an industry to have at least 4 years of experience to make a few bucks above minimum wage is what America was founded on! Be happy you have a job!
- Brazil is the same thing. Guys ask for experience, even on fields you cant work without a course and license. And the pay is bad. Like you cant live on it literally.

Both off the anecdotes leave out a lot of info. Both examples sound like they thought a high-paying job offer was going to be included with their degrees.

Well one is a finance person fresh out of school trying to make it in the most competitive financial industry city in the world. And the other is withholding import details regarding the status of their professional designation. Probably not the best examples of what the article was trying to convey

Got 3 degrees and never once mentioned any co-op or internship she worked over the summer

Really comes across as a red flag that she's super studious but there are questions about if she can be a hard worker at an actual job, and in the job interviews she's not answering in a way that alleviates those concerns to potential employers.

I saw this all the time with me and my friends. Those of us who did co-ops or internships had full time jobs accepted before we graduated even if grades were only ok. Our 3.8+ GPA friends who didn't do any co-ops or internships were still looking and had been turned down a few times already. A lot of them ended up going for Masters degrees.

100%. I had a Profesional Employment Year which was a well paid internship, so that covered basically my entire 4 year undergrad and got me a job offer lined up after graduation. I opted to get my M.Eng though. I'm absolutely convinced the engineering student in that article is withholding information on her choices; whether that means not going after her P.eng designation or something else.

Entry level positions have been hard to come by for a couple of decades now. When I went back to school for a comp sci degree I struggled to find work but I eventually took a low paying $15 an hour dev job just for the experience.
- I've had a hard time getting in the work market on my field. As several that did classes with me. I think it's more about have a second plan, or option when our body starts falling apart.

Applied for forklift driving position for shit pay

Over 800 applicants for 1 spot

Worldwide issue
I applied for an IT architect internship and there were around 600 other applicants. Basic IT positions like system engineers get around 100 to 150 applications from my experience. There also seems to be over 30 applicants per position even for the senior roles. I can't even imagine how fucked up it is to apply for entry level positions in fields that are considered to be unskilled labour...

The job market simply is fucked up globally (due to a great variety of reasons) and it's not about younger generations being lazy or entitled. Those who happen to get jobs through internships and those who land a job early on their careers seem to suffer from survivorship bias - as they landed jobs, others must simply be lazy and incompetent.

Our youngest has been completing her grad school internship working in nutrition programs at some local hospitals. She was told that several parents have accompanied students on interviews related to these internships. Imagine being a junior/senior in college or going to grad school and having mommy/daddy go to an interview for anything.
They did some study on Gen Z'ers up here on why employers are discriminating against them, and that stat floored me. 17% of them bring their parents to job interviews. Many more have trouble staying focused and making eye contact with people.

Can't blame them, really. It's the sheltered environments they're growing up in. Shit, I remember this one friend WAY back when we were just dipping our toes into the job market, who was just naturally a little...err...nervous I guess. We were at the mall and he was asking how to apply for a job at one of the stores, like it was monumental decision. We were all just like "Well, just apply for it. It's not some big deal". So he did. Got the job. Guy has has a family, a house and a cottage now. Not from that bullshit job of course, but just not double thinking such simple shit.

It's just so weird at how that mentality is coddled and even promoted now. I sometimes wonder what would've happened to that guy if we had encouraged his trepidation in that moment, and tried to figure out what kind of mental illness he was suffering from, rather than telling him to essentially quit being a bitch.

They did some study on Gen Z'ers up here on why employers are discriminating against them, and that stat floored me. 17% of them bring their parents to job interviews. Many more have trouble staying focused and making eye contact with people.

Can't blame them, really. It's the sheltered environments they're growing up in. Shit, I remember this one friend WAY back when we were just dipping our toes into the job market, who was just naturally a little...err...nervous I guess. We were at the mall and he was asking how to apply for a job at one of the stores, like it was monumental decision. We were all just like "Well, just apply for it. It's not some big deal". So he did. Got the job. Guy has has a family, a house and a cottage now. Not from that bullshit job of course, but just not double thinking such simple shit.

It's just so weird at how that mentality is coddled and even promoted now. I sometimes wonder what would've happened to that guy if we had encouraged his trepidation in that moment, and tried to figure out what kind of mental illness he was suffering from, rather than telling him to essentially quit being a bitch.

Nobody wants to hire degenerate broccoli head weirdos. It's tough going for them little motherfuckers.

Applied for forklift driving position for shit pay

Over 800 applicants for 1 spot

Worldwide issue

Aren't you like (literally) 6'6 275? After you marry @DoctorNick and move to America, maybe your future career is found in becoming a security professional, lol. I just saw this earlier today.

20240607-165131.jpg

I am pleased that both of our girls are outgoing and not afraid to step up and ask questions or assume leadership roles in whatever environment they're in.

Those hooligans need to stop watching tiktok and start working hard if they want to hold down a decent job.

Requiring an entry level worker in an industry to have at least 4 years of experience to make a few bucks above minimum wage is what America was founded on! Be happy you have a job!
This was not the case when I started working in the 90’s. At all. So not sure we were founded on this premise.

Though Now it is, and it’s a stupid freaking game. Now, you pretty much have to lie about experience, or have someone in the company/market to get you in. Shameful.

Back