You never know how lucky you are until you try something new

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
Damn, as you all may have figured out, I'm very, very interested in shoot-wrestling and catch-as-catch-can. So, I finally went to train at this place, American Martial Arts and Fitness Academy that advertises a shoot-wrestling class...its the same place where a dude who--my senior year of high school--used me and some other wrestlers to help him train for an upcoming fight. In the photos on the places web-site, I can see the fighter--Sam Wells--doing his thing. So I'm like, "Oh cool, I can go there, see Sam and tell him that he really helped get me interested in this submission thing..."

When I get there, no Sam...and no class. Just the instructor, chilling by his lonesome. He's cool and smart...but it turns out his focus is on the street and self-defense (me, I couldn't give a rip about self-defense, I just like rolling and competing). But the whole class, its him either asking me to show him a technique and critiquing my use of it (including my takedowns, where I didn't necessarily buy some of his advice or the techniques such as the "Indonesion single" that he suggested I pick up)...or just going through some catch-as-catch-can holds.

But no rolling! No randori! No live wrasslin'! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Now I realize how sweet my judo dojo is. First day I come there, as soon as I tell 'em I wanna roll, I'm on the mat, going at with whites, greens, blue, brown and black belts. Best thing is that, with the dojo's emphasis on newazza...most of the time it hits the ground, there's no stand-ups or anything, regardless of whether or not the ref would've stood it up in a match. Usually, people don't even think about pin-falls...just go for the throws or takedowns...and when it hits the ground, go from there...

Are most shoot-wrestling classes like that? No full-out sparring or rolling for the most part?

BTW--this is not to rip the class. It was great. It just wasn't what I was looking for, which was the opportunity to roll with someone who knew what they were doing during the summer.

Bmonk said:
Judo! Judo! Judo!

Comes down to one thing. I don't even consider myself a judoka at all...to me, I'll always be a wrestler...but RANDORI baby!!!! What a great concept.

Not sure about the shootfighting in Amerika.. But the shooters shootfighting organisation in Europe is the real deal...

krellik said:
Not sure about the shootfighting in Amerika.. But the shooters shootfighting organisation in Europe is the real deal...

The school is the real deal, I just get bored if there's not live, full-speed wrestling/rolling. Don't mistake, not dogging the school in the slightest, except in as much as it isn't my speed.

Kforcer said:
The school is the real deal, I just get bored if there's not live, full-speed wrestling/rolling. Don't mistake, not dogging the school in the slightest, except in as much as it isn't my speed.

Shootfighting in Europe is full Shooto/MMA training. Competitionbased and always at full speed when rolling.

Falero said:
Shootfighting in Europe is full Shooto/MMA training. Competitionbased and always at full speed when rolling.

I'm pretty sure if the old instructor was there, I would've done a whole lotta rolling. Like I said in my first post, I knew him because he came to my wrestling club to improve that area of his skill-set and I'm pretty sure he would've taken that same approach.

I train in wyndotte and right now one of the guys that trains with us is on summer vacation from msu and he trains with sam up their when he's at school.

Hows his school up there are there alot of actual fighters that trains there?

dapunisher said:
I train in wyndotte and right now one of the guys that trains with us is on summer vacation from msu and he trains with sam up their when he's at school.

Hows his school up there are there alot of actual fighters that trains there?

I just rolled with Sam about 5 years ago when I was in high school, when he was coming down to my freestyle wrestling club. He showed me a few tricks, but I never actually went up to his place. I guess he's not with American Martial Arts and Fitness Academy anymore...AMAFA seems alright....the guy who taught me was obviously knowledgeable but he said that he had a "street" emphasis...and A. it was only me and him the time I went and B. no live rolling. I'm pretty sure the place Sam moved on to has more people training there and probably a number of pro fighters.

There was a real good judoka that trained shoot-wrestling with Sam was recommending his class...but I'm not sure where that class is now, since its not at AMAFA...

Back