You have a choice at 22 years old A - Sign a UFC contract or B - Become a bus driver.

randysyatt

Zan Panzer
@Orange
Reaction score
My friend trains at Tristar -He is the younger brother of my best friend.

Super athletic and has an undefeated record in the Canadian circuit (MFC etc).

He was recently offered a $10k / $10k contract from the UFC, he was also offered a job with the local Public Transit System in Montreal for $25/hour (Full benefits, pension and union) with a increase per year to a max of $32/hour as per the current collective bargaining agreement.

He turned down the UFC offer and is now driving the 80 bus from Place Des Arts station to Outremont.

He said the choice was easy.

Is that not sad?

It's the old carrot or the stick dilemma. Either get beat up in the UFC, or feed the bus a carrot.

No brain damage, decent pay and a pension. Understandable.

those government jobs are generally the bomb.

There's a reason LHW and HW are dismal in MMA. All these great athletes will do something else that will be paid way more, and leave them concussed way less (although the NFL is not great in that regard either).

And now, lower tier fighters will prefer to be bus drivers.

Think about it.

That's a pretty badass bus driver. I'm hoping for a video of some bum trying to start shit on his bus and he ends it real quick.

As for what I'd do, I'd probably sign with the UFC. That'd be a memorable experience you could take with you for the rest of your life. Not so much being a bus driver. Could he have taken that job later on if the UFC didn't work out?

If he was just going to be a jobber in the UFC then he did the right thing.

Easy choice if your friend was 32...but at 22 with your best years yet to come becoming a fat and lazy bus driver isn't something you would want to do.
People should live and fight for the dreams when they are young.

It's pretty obvious the UFC needs to pay their rank and file guys more money. If you're the top professional promotion in the world you can't be losing athletes to standard government jobs.

On the other hand a 50k/year job at 22 years of age is WAY ahead of the curve for most people.

those government jobs are generally the bomb.

There's a reason LHW and HW are dismal in MMA. All these great athletes will do something else that will be paid way more, and leave them concussed way less (although the NFL is not great in that regard either).

And now, lower tier fighters will prefer to be bus drivers.

Think about it.

What will all those great athletes do instead? What sport can they just pick?

He obviously wasn't mean to be anything special if he didnt have the heart to fight for his dream.

It's pretty obvious the UFC needs to pay their rank and file guys more money. If you're the top professional promotion in the world you can't be losing athletes to standard government jobs.

On the other hand a 50k/year job at 22 years of age is WAY ahead of the curve for most people.

Their rank and file are the minor leagues. Entry level. But the opportunity is there for much more.

I would have to think there's more to the story. You don't put in the time to get the ufc contract to turn it down to drive a bus at 22 years old.

Absolutely sad commentary about what the UFC does.

If those were my only 2 choices, I'd do the same, without a second's hesitation.

How many hours do bus drivers work? If he really wanted to he could probably keep fighting in MFC etc. And if he keeps winning, he is bound to get a better contract from the UFC.
Being athletic isn't enough, you have to have that passion for fighting. He may be naturally good at it, but probably doesn't want to do it for a living.
Why would you want to drive a bus at 22? If he can get that job now, he can probably get it in the future again. But if the hours aren't too much, keep the job and keep training or fighting.

Too bad he couldn't try to do both. Lots of guys have jobs, even the top fighters.

He could've done both to see what fits in his life. The ufc contract isn't a bill payer so he'd need a side job anyway. If I was a natural athlete I would try my hands at pro hockey, football or baseball and make some real money.

it depends on how good he is , is he a prodegy jon jones type then ufc but if he would be a semi good fighter then bus driver for sure ...... IF nate diaz makes 20/20 with his popalarity then what does a fighter like him make.... to little thats for that kind of sacrefice for sure ....... UFC needs to stop beeing so stingy or atleast dump the reebok contract some how

Back