You guys are getting way too emotional about Tony losing...

I'm not a true Tony fan....but I am really disappointed we wont see Khabib V Ferguson when it mattered as a fight of the century ala Hagler V Hearns or Leonard V Hagler. I know this is where every one says Khabib woulda won anyway etc...I am tired of theoretical shit in the combat game I want to see fights when it matters.

90% of my boxing and MMA experience has been what ifs. I saw Manny V Floyd essentially fight when it didnt matter much anymore and they decided to put on a glorified sparring match. I saw Hopkins V RJJ 2 when they were old hags and Lewis V Tyson when Mike was a shell of the shell of himself.

As far as MMA...I haven't seen a single fight of the century get made outside of Cro Cop v Fedor and arguably Khabib V Conor depending on who you ask. We missed out on...

1) Lesnar V Fedor

2) Couture v Fedor

3) Chuck V Wanderlei (when it mattered most)

4) GSP V Silva

5) JJ V Silva

I can go on and on but for a sport that was advertised as the polar opposite of boxing where boxing never puts on dream fights anymore but the UFC does I have not seen a dream fight in a long time. The only one I can think of that finally happened after a ton of hype is Khabib V Conor so I give Dana credit for that. I haven't seen any of the other fight of the centuries actually get made in UFC history.
Dana is to blame for many of these fights falling through. That pink idiot was very lucky to know the Ferrttitas. His ego gets in the way of legendary matches

If you think Khabib or Gatheje have a better chance or anything more than marginally better than Tony Ferguson as a raw athlete to play soccer or football or basketball, or lift maxmial weights, or run sprints the fastest - I would have to say you're dead wrong. None of them are "special" in that sense.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Generally speaking I believe there is genetics and then there is hard work. There is no 'natural born Talent', moreso it's the age someone starts learning something, and the time and intensity they dedicate to that skill. When you combine those born genetics with tenure, intensity and quality of training, you produce 'a great'. Thats even more true in newish sport like MMA, where many of the top fighters started out within a specific discipline and only broadened their skill set much later on.

Im from UK so follow our football and not the US version. Football/Soccer is full of journeymen who have to work much harder, try much harder, and commit more heart, just to tag along with the genuine greats.

I think Tony is one of the work horses. And he's done amazing to get so far. But he was never ever defined to be a 'great'. Tony is always a bloody mess. It's never so hard for the genuine greats.

I think Tony is that guy in every friends circle. A loser who tries very very hard, manages to trade above his actual natural talent through sheer bloody mindedness and hard work and personal sacrifices and gets to sit at the top table with a pretty girl for a few moments.

But form is temporary and class is permanent. And natural talent always wins in the end. And so poor old Tony now has to step back and let the maserati's do their thing.
Lol this analogy. You seemed to have thought this out.

I love styles...styles make fights. This one was weird. I didn't really know who would win, and didn't really care too much...seemed like it could be such a pick em...

But I am not sure now...maybe there was a style I was missing. Seems like a lot of Tony's opponents were possibly intimidated going in. Didn't look like Justin had any problems with nerves...

Is that really the style it took to beat Tony? Complete fearlessness? I guess I missed it...

It's sad but true. Tony fans were so invested it was mind boggling. His hypetrain was worse then Conors.
12 wins in a row with one of the best records at LW and beat almost every person there is to beat while not being given a title shot due to politics. Some hype trains are justified.

Yeah I thought it was borderline towel territory in round 5. But I'm sure he would have been very upset at his corner and this isn't boxing so it's a bit different, still Bravo or someone should have had the balls to throw it in maybe and save him that round of punishment. But he's still dangerous at the same time...it was borderline.

Tony wasn't dangerous at all last night. Perhaps for 30 seconds at end of round 2, but I had Justin win every round very comfortably. And so the point you make is based on hope rather than objectively what we saw.

Corner should have thrown in towel before, as it was always going to end the way it did.

The reason why people are emotional is because the guy built a name for himself the old-fashioned way (by fighting and winning over and over again) and has been the #1 Contender for like half a decade.
He also had no reason to take the fight except for pleasing the fans and putting on a show. So he deserves nothing but respect. I'm a huge Tony fan, but I'm not really emotional or salty, I just don't get it if people don't give Tony the respect he deserves, but even that doesn't make me salty, it just shows who is a real fan of the sport of MMA and who are little children and bandwagonjumpers who shit on a guy like Tony, they don't care about fights and the quality of them, they just care about WWE bullshit and putting down athletes who risk their health for our entertainment.

I mean damn, the guy is 15-2 in the UFC, meanwhile Gaethje is 4-2 in the UFC.
I remember I used to really hate Tony From ultimate fighter when he just seemed like a dick. I always rooted against him. But over the years slowly he won me over as a fan just by showing up and kicking ass. I’m a fan of both guys so it was a win win and loose loose situation for me. But it was tough to see Tony getting brutalized like he does to other people...

I am honestly depressed today, I'll probably feel dead inside till next UFC title fight because lets be honest, without Tony in the picture all that is left is Gaethje and Conor Mcgregor in the LW top 15. It wasn't a hype-train for me, Tony is legit one of my favorite fighters and it wasn't even the loss but, how he loss that really hurt me. It's sad to say but I enjoy UFC events more when i'm emotionally involved so I'll probably keep doing this to myself by boying the underdog but it comes with the territory.

I am however in no denial about the match, Tony fought horribly and his corner did nothing to help. Hopefully he makes some coaching changes after this.
3B9509BA00000578-0-image-a-82_1482436175116.jpg

Keep giving a guy iterim bs titles until he loses.then strip him off them just to give them 1 more time... this is bs such long streak to be lost against somebody who has 0 chance against khabib... bs

12 wins in a row with one of the best records at LW and beat almost every person there is to beat while not being given a title shot due to politics. Some hype trains are justified.
Thats complete bollox. He's only ever beaten 1 or 2 of current top 10.

It's the fight game it happens.

You lose some and you win some, Tony is just used to winning a lot more the last decade.

He's still in title contention, give him Conor or Dustin as a no.1 contender fight and he can fight for the undisputed title again.

It's not a big deal. The fight game has ups and downs, he's just had a small blip.

Give him an opportunity to get back on track.
It is not that it is a lose. It is that he is a true warrior and a company man, always earned his shot at the belt even after never actually losing it, only to now permanently lose his chance. 5 times he was booked against Khabib for the belt, and it never materialized.

This is not just a fighter losing. This feels like something out of an ancient Greek tragedy. Comparable to Fedor finally falling.

Tony vs Khabib not coming to fruition is the biggest tragedy of my fan experience.

Tony vs Khabib not coming to fruition is the biggest tragedy of my fan experience.
Not really, Khabib would have danced with him for 2 rounds, slapped him bit for lolz and then strangled him to tap for his life. It's so predictable. Not sure anyone missed much at all.

Same will happen to Justine.

The loss isn't a big deal. The insane damage he took after cutting weight twice in a month is.

Thing is, I don't see Tony doing much better against either Poirier or Conor, in a way it might suck even more if he won the belt and then got destroyed like that in his first title defence

Thats complete bollox. He's only ever beaten 1 or 2 of current top 10.
Not all the current guys, but he's beaten some of the biggest names that aren't just coming into the top 10 like Hooker and Felder.

I always felt it was a terrible matchup for Ferguson. I feel sorry for Tony Ferguson because he loses out on the Khabib fight in which I think he had a better shot against.

The reason why people are emotional is because the guy built a name for himself the old-fashioned way (by fighting and winning over and over again) and has been the #1 Contender for like half a decade.
He also had no reason to take the fight except for pleasing the fans and putting on a show. So he deserves nothing but respect. I'm a huge Tony fan, but I'm not really emotional or salty, I just don't get it if people don't give Tony the respect he deserves, but even that doesn't make me salty, it just shows who is a real fan of the sport of MMA and who are little children and bandwagonjumpers who shit on a guy like Tony, they don't care about fights and the quality of them, they just care about WWE bullshit and putting down athletes who risk their health for our entertainment.

I mean damn, the guy is 15-2 in the UFC, meanwhile Gaethje is 4-2 in the UFC.
perfectly worded bro. Saved me the trouble

If you are a real fight fan, you let the emotion go, and let the best man win. Tony is one of my favorites, but huge congrats to Justin he looked great.

Keep giving a guy iterim bs titles until he loses.then strip him off them just to give them 1 more time... this is bs such long streak to be lost against somebody who has 0 chance against khabib... bs

Exaclty my thoughts. Khabib will dominate Gaethje. Tony would've submitted Khabib.

Fuck Dana for not making a 12 fight winstreak vs 12 fight winstreak superfight happen. Even if a few months later.

Back