You can't read chain of punches ever but boxers can read punches paradox

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A national boxing champion in my country of Sweden talked about how it's not possible to read chain of punches without experience in boxing. Even then, he says, you don't actually cognitively know what is going to come but you still make the appropriate parries.

So what makes them able to read punches in the fights without actually having conscious knowledge of it? is it down to pattern recognition?

Now that i think of it, the same is actually true for kicking... even though they don't come in chains like punches.

A national boxing champion in my country of Sweden talked about how it's not possible to read chain of punches without experience in boxing. Even then, he says, you don't actually cognitively know what is going to come but you still make the appropriate parries.

So what makes them able to read punches in the fights without actually having conscious knowledge of it? is it down to pattern recognition?
My coach talks a lot about this shows why shadow boing is so important. Its about positioning so if you throw shot X you opponent based on your body position will only be able to through Y and Z so its about anticipating what can come back and then knowing what you will do for that so it is knowing what is likely to come

Also this is in the wrong forum

Last edited:
My coach talks a lot about this shows why shadow boing is so important. Its about positioning so if you through shot X you opponent based on your body position will only be able to through Y and Z so its about anticipating what can come back and then knowing what you will do for that so it is knowing what is likely to come

It is in the right forum because he was referring to the sport of boxing and the fighters

My coach talks a lot about this shows why shadow boing is so important. Its about positioning so if you through shot X you opponent based on your body position will only be able to through Y and Z so its about anticipating what can come back and then knowing what you will do for that so it is knowing what is likely to come

*throw

It is in the right forum because he was referring to the sport of boxing and the fighters
Ok I thought this would be more one for "Standup Technique" given not discussing a particular fighter.

@LukeSkyrocker please review spelling and gramma

Distance plays a big factor, under a certain range and you do not physically have to time to reach. This is why boxers rely on smothering and moving, past a certain point.

Pattern recognition plays a big part. That is why you change up ccombinatons and use broken rhythm.

Yeah it's down to pattern recognition. If you've ever seen Floyd talking about defence he shows his tried and tested method of dealing with the most common combo in boxing, the 1-2 left hook. He parries the jab with his right, blocks the right with his left shoulder and brings his right hand back to his head to pick up the left hook. When that pattern changes to something outside the norm is when it can be hard to defend.

I remember one of the better boxers at my gym got caught by this young inexperienced kid and it was because the kid threw a left hook and then followed up with the left uppercut. The more experienced boxer wasn't expecting it so he got clocked hard. It was an unusual combo for him to deal with so he didn't recognise the pattern.

A punch takes roughly 50 ms from start to finish, but a human cannot react in less than 100 ms (well that's the limit that sprinters are allowed to react to the starters gun). So to defend a punch you have to see it coming before it's thrown. That's why reducing tells is so important in boxing. The tells are what allow the other fight to react and defend in time. Personally I think that some humans can react faster than 100ms.

Yeah it's down to pattern recognition. If you've ever seen Floyd talking about defence he shows his tried and tested method of dealing with the most common combo in boxing, the 1-2 left hook. He parries the jab with his right, blocks the right with his left shoulder and brings his right hand back to his head to pick up the left hook. When that pattern changes to something outside the norm is when it can be hard to defend.

I remember one of the better boxers at my gym got caught by this young inexperienced kid and it was because the kid threw a left hook and then followed up with the left uppercut. The more experienced boxer wasn't expecting it so he got clocked hard. It was an unusual combo for him to deal with so he didn't recognise the pattern.

A punch takes roughly 50 ms from start to finish, but a human cannot react in less than 100 ms (well that's the limit that sprinters are allowed to react to the starters gun). So to defend a punch you have to see it coming before it's thrown. That's why reducing tells is so important in boxing. The tells are what allow the other fight to react and defend in time. Personally I think that some humans can react faster than 100ms.
Indeed when you spar very experienced guys they throw shots from positions they shouldn't

He’s wrong. A decent boxing fan can absolutely read a combination. It’s a very different prospect to be able to react to a combination in real time.
In order for that to happen, you need it in muscle memory... If you have to see the punch, analyse it and react, it’s too late, the combo has landed.... for 99.9% of the population.

It is easy to prepare for punches when you training defense style every week 2 3 times. If he coming to hard on you then clinch with him. I combined Loma Usyk and Floyd Jr. little Fury and Conor style fighting and you must have great cardio to move like that 10 12 rounds and not gas out after you punch bag hard with combination

Back