YOKKAO boxing gloves review

Received mine today, not impressed at all. I've only tried them on, and to be totally honest I'm not sure I'm going to go any further with them.

2 main negatives for me, firstly the lining is very loose, I almost need to push it aside as I slip my hands in. Secondly the thumb position is terrible, basically sticking straight out towards the point of contact. I'm positive I would hurt my thumb throwing straight punches if I used these on the heavy bag.

Initial impressions of the quality are okay, they appear well put together, the wrist support also feels nice, cuff feels as rigid as Twins.

What other thai gloves have you used? My fairtex also have a really straight thumb but its never been an issue. Twins is curved a bit more but not much.

The Reyes and hayabusas aren't really a fair comparison as they have notoriously bad/awkward thumbs.

The tokushu is strange for me because when I put them on, the thumb feels awful but when I'm actually using them it dosent bother me. I can't speak for Reyes gloves though.

Too bad I'm probably not in the same country as you, I'd trade you my winnings for those so I could try them out.

What other thai gloves have you used? My fairtex also have a really straight thumb but its never been an issue. Twins is curved a bit more but not much.

The Reyes and hayabusas aren't really a fair comparison as they have notoriously bad/awkward thumbs.

The tokushu is strange for me because when I put them on, the thumb feels awful but when I'm actually using them it dosent bother me. I can't speak for Reyes gloves though.

Too bad I'm probably not in the same country as you, I'd trade you my winnings for those so I could try them out.

I've owned a few pairs of Thai gloves:

Fairtex BGV-9 (old model) in 16oz, had no issues with those.

Windy 16oz (can't remember the model as these were some of my first gloves), thumb wasn't ideal but it was the hardness of the padding that put me off them.

3 x Twins 16oz, one old model (white wrist logo, very roomy, good thumb but too roomy in the hand compartment), one pair of Lumpinee special edition (black wrist logo, great gloves, snug hand, nice thumb, protective all around) and one pair of custom colour 'air' gloves (really wish I hadn't sold them, as in hindsight they were close to perfect).

Current Thai gloves are a pair of Boon 16oz, which I'm finding excellent. I've also got a pair of 12oz Fairtex BGV-9 'minor change' on their way.

Haven't actually tried 'normal' Fairtex (BGV-1 for example), but I will eventually, I like how compact they look.

That is a shame, I've wanted to try a pair of Winnings for years (haven't even seen a pair) but the price has always deterred me, they can't be worth 4 times as much as Twins for example.

That is a shame, I've wanted to try a pair of Winnings for years (haven't even seen a pair) but the price has always deterred me, they can't be worth 4 times as much as Twins for example.

Pretty sure the positioning of the thumbs will be right for you for winning but it might be too short since my 16oz has little play. The best way you can find out is to try one out before buying or easy return.
CBPfjEgVAAAJePm.jpg

I have the 'winning clones' from topboxer, can't see myself ever getting rid of those gloves. One day I'll get my hands on a proper pair of winnings though

I have the 'winning clones' from topboxer, can't see myself ever getting rid of those gloves. One day I'll get my hands on a proper pair of winnings though

I believe the comparison below should give you an idea of Winning gloves' grip vs Yokkao's since we both have Yokkao gloves for reference. You can tell why Winning gloves are considered the best in the world -- the fit is impeccable. I just don't like how it punches as much as Yokkao's is all.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

^ Thanks for the comparison pics. Your Yokkao looks to have a longer & better padded thumb, the thumb on my gloves appears shorter and flatter. I'll try and upload pics at a later date.

^ Thanks for the comparison pics. Your Yokkao looks to have a longer & better padded thumb, the thumb on my gloves appears shorter and flatter. I'll try and upload pics at a later date.

Perhaps the 10 oz gloves are made smaller than 16 oz like mine.

The bgv9 gets brought up from time to time but that's really not a "thai" glove even though it is made in Thailand.

Back