Yoga For Preventing Injuries in BJJ/Grappling

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thoughts? Would it be worth the time/money to go to Yoga twice a week in order to help prevent injuries in BJJ/Grappling?

I see more places adding yoga to their fitness classes as a supplement to their bjj training. I think you could do it yourself with a dvd or get the gymnastica natural dvds.

Thoughts? Would it be worth the time/money to go to Yoga twice a week in order to help prevent injuries in BJJ/Grappling?

Could not possibly be a waste of time as long as it is not Bikram. If you do not have the funds, there are numerous DVDs for home practice (as mentioned).

YES! I am definitely on board with yoga at least a few times a week in addition to jiu-jitsu. Of course being more active and stretching is going to make you stronger and more flexible, which will help you in bjj and make you less injury prone, but IDK, I've been doing yoga for about a year now, and now I go about 40 minutes every morning, and I just have so much more energy during the day. You will get a lot more out of grappling imo if you add in some yoga to your morning routine. Plus it is a great way to meet women :cool:.

Yoga is definitely going to help if flexibility is an issue, I don't think that I derived all that much benefit from it because I am much more naturally flexible than I am strong, that is the only reason that I get much better results from weights, I still try to stretch throughout the day though.

I was doing Baptiste Power Vinyasa a couple of times per week for a couple of years. It really helps your breathing and you feel great after classes. And being a heated yoga you cut a good bit of weight while doing it. Also, it seems to help balance pretty well. I would recommend trying it out. The place I go also offers rehabilitative classes that are for people with sports related and other injuries. It's good stuff.

Yes, one of the guys at my gym is big on DDP Yoga. As in, DDP = Diamond Dallas Page from WCW/WWE. He has his this whole strength based yoga program and DVDs for sale.

The guy is a fitness freak and my guy swears by it. Been meaning to try it myself

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/

Yoga's great. Flexibility, muscular endurance, girls in yoga pants: what's not to love? If you've never practiced before, try to make it to a studio for a while. A teacher will correct your posture and breathing. Once you've been practicing for a while, you can practice solo at home more often.

Could not possibly be a waste of time as long as it is not Bikram. If you do not have the funds, there are numerous DVDs for home practice (as mentioned).

Hey, would you mind elaborating on that? I don't practice Bikram, but that's because my home studio doesn't offer it; I never would have thought it might be bad.

Bikram......

Heatstroke, Dehydration, Elevated blood pressure. Most importantly.... certain movements pose danger to your spine. When you add heat to the equation you can get into positions you normally wouldn't be able to and without the right progressions this is not a good thing. Easier to overexert yourself and cause injury.

I remember my first and last couple of classes doing bikram. I had terrible low back pain for 2 weeks afterwards from overstretching my hamstrings and probably also screwing up my lumbar spine.

I've been wondering this same thing for a little while now. Next week I'm going to try my first yoga session, looking forward to it.

i started doing ashtanga yoga the hardest one. be careful though, the shits no joke, i hurt my rotator cuff holding one of their wacky positions for too long. you dont even realize cause you hold by breaths instead of reps or counting. but overall for back and hamstrings especially, it was good for me (still using the yoga stretches). generally you should be able to improve alot of your imbalances. cyborg makes his students do yoga twice a week. just look for athletic style yoga and not alot of the breathing and singing stuff.

Yoga can change your life-random artist dude

Nah but a freind reccomended I do yoga to help with a nagging re occuring injury.Healed in weeks. My flexibiltiy is poor so I am definatley suplementing my JJ practice with Yoga.

Never been to a class but my chick has. I just rock to her DVD's but i would say a instructor is important at first to help you with form.

If you could find a real pilates teacher that would be even better. Not the chick DVD yoga stretching pilates, but the real deal with reformer I think it's called. I did that in college and it was like yoga on steroids. Doing yoga stretches against your body weight or more...you can get a great workout and for men it really, really helps flexibility.

Also a real pilates class will analyse your movement and notice where you're off on something like turning knee out too much and work to strengthen muscles around it to correct. That kind of thing is great for preventing injuries down the road.

I think it has a bad name though because of all the watered down yoga type dvds with Pilates name on it. Look at the guy who created it at like 80 though....

Back