Yoga for fighters- Question for Frodo

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jimmy what can you tell me about this? IIRC you train with Team Balance. I like the concept.

It's basically just his take on Yoga. It is not really different from what is out there, but he likes to spend more time in the positions (as he mentions) at the beginning of the practice.

He says he cannot do full-on MMA sparring without doing Yoga first...

For a more detailed video of the Basic Sun Salutation, check this video of the Ashtanga master David Swenson. He is using the traditional breathing pattern of course, as it is designed to generate heat in the body as a warm-up to the rest of the practice.

I have been doing some yoga since my last rehab as a sort of "pre-hab" and I like the idea of a yoga series that is optimized, if you will, for BJJ and MMA.

Do you have any specific questions about it? I work at balance and helped with some of the video, I also do the routine a few times a week which helps me a lot. I can ask Phil if I don't know the answer.

Since non-Frodo types are responding, I will give my two cents as well.

I have seen the video, and I think it is well done. The routine is explained nicely and is something a BJJ person could do regularly. As Sloth said, a lot of people from Balance do the routine themselves and find it beneficial.

If you are interested in a Yoga series that is used by BJJ guys, I'd recommend picking up the DVD. There are lots of other Yoga resources out there that are good too, but you seem to really be focusing on the direct link to BJJ which is part of the DVD. There is a section where Phil actually goes over how the benefits gained from the different Yoga poses can be applied to BJJ.

I have seen the video, and I think it is well done. The routine is explained nicely and is something a BJJ person could do regularly. As Sloth said, a lot of people from Balance do the routine themselves and find it beneficial.

If you are interested in a Yoga series that is used by BJJ guys, I'd recommend picking up the DVD. There are lots of other Yoga resources out there that are good too, but you seem to really be focusing on the direct link to BJJ which is part of the DVD. There is a section where Phil actually goes over how the benefits gained from the different Yoga poses can be applied to BJJ.

This is kind of what I am getting at. Yoga can be used for some many different things depending on how you do it. I have two yoga video's I use on is a nice relaxed one where I kind of chill out and get a gentle stretch and then there is the p90X one which has me dripping with sweat after about 25 minutes. if it has a section which shows how they relate, as you said, then it is something I will definately look into.

Haha, that's me and my brother that Phil is beating up on in the DVD. That brief bloopers type section is pretty funny too.

Back