• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Yoel, Rumble, Corey Anderson, Bader to compete in Grand Prix Tournament

Sounds fucking awesome on paper. I just don't hope it doesn't drag out over 3 years.

Pretty ridiculous argument to suggest that the success of the UFC is essentially a coincidence and Dana doesn't know what he's doing lol.
Never said that.
But u cant deny that they have been VERY lucky.
Danas a gambling man and hes been on a long succesfull role, but his times coming up.
The Ferrtitas bounced like reasonable gamblers would, but Danas to voracious.
Chuck is one of the few stars the UFC built from the ground up, but a fighter like Chuck would make it anywhere.
Pride made guys like Tom Erikson, Crazy Horse and a chubby, balding, damn near mute Russian, interesting fighters that people tuned in to watch.
They gave the personality, even if fake, wich made it more entertaining.
Strikeforce played the middle ground between sports entertainment and a legit sport.

Ngl that's more compelling than anything going on with the UFC's LHW division these days
Maybe UFC should also make all their best middleweights fight at LHW as well. The LHW division just sucks in all of MMA.

So how many years will this one take to finish?

People itt saying its a bunch of UFC rejects prove my point that Dana dosent know how to promote his fighters and make them interesting. Tournaments add a certain aura to the fights. Pride understood the value of theatrics to sell fights. Not just base it on a fighters name value.

Diana White just happens to stumble on fighters with the IT factor and goes along with it. He plays no part in making them supertars. Conor, Ronda, Bork etc all would be stars anywhere else.

If u can get me excited for a fuckin Corey Anderson fight, u did something right.
Dianas greed will eventually lead to his downfall, it always does in these cases, and it will be glorious to see him get his rightfull dues.
You’re predicting his downfall 20+ years into his rise? What’s the expiration date of that prediction?

When did Yoel join Bellator? I thought he was too expensive for them.

Assuming this goes according to plan, I’m in. It’s a great field and it brings interest to bellator.

And doesn’t matter to me that they put MW division on hold. They can focus on their tournaments. It’s different.

Fun facts:

Mousasi won the Dream MW GP, Dream LHW GP and beat Mark Hunt in the Super Hulk Openweight GP

Davis won the Bellator LHW GP

Last edited:

Incredible!!!

They have to get Nemkov in this. He is arguably the best LHW in the world.

Phil Davis needs to be in there, too. He's still a Top 5 LHW in the world. He has never been finished. All 5 of his losses have been against absolutely elite fighters, and 3 of them are split decisions. He hasn't lost a unanimous decision since 2014. That's 7 straight years of convincing at least 1 judge that he won every single time he fights.

The 8th spot? Either Lyoto Machida or Julius Anglickas. Machida was very competitive in his recent fights against Davis and Mousasi, forcing split decisions. He is a Top 15 LHW in the world. Anglickas is a young gun, who went 2-0 with 2 submissions in LFA, then won by submission on Dana's Contender Series, and now is 2-0 in Bellator. Who knows what his ceiling is? If he develops into a Top 5 fighter in say 5 years from now, it will be great to have had him as part of this tournament.

If they get Nemkov and Davis, this tournament will feature 5 of the Top 10 LHWs in the world, plus 2 of the Top 5 MWs in the world. That would be incredibly impressive.

tournament with UFC castoffs. yay.

I guess its better than anything else bellator has going on.

Incredible!!!

They have to get Nemkov in this. He is arguably the best LHW in the world.

Phil Davis needs to be in there, too. He's still a Top 5 LHW in the world. He has never been finished. All 5 of his losses have been against absolutely elite fighters, and 3 of them are split decisions. He hasn't lost a unanimous decision since 2014. That's 7 straight years of convincing at least 1 judge that he won every single time he fights.

The 8th spot? Either Lyoto Machida or Julius Anglickas. Machida was very competitive in his recent fights against Davis and Mousasi, forcing split decisions. He is a Top 15 LHW in the world. Anglickas is a young gun, who went 2-0 with 2 submissions in LFA, then won by submission on Dana's Contender Series, and now is 2-0 in Bellator. Who knows what his ceiling is? If he develops into a Top 5 fighter in say 5 years from now, it will be great to have had him as part of this tournament.

If they get Nemkov and Davis, this tournament will feature 5 of the Top 10 LHWs in the world, plus 2 of the Top 5 MWs in the world. That would be incredibly impressive.
I think the line up will be:

Mousasi, Yoel, Rumble, Nemkov, Davis, Bader, Corey & Anglickas/Yagshimuradov

Don't know exactly who they will choose for the last slot

Put Lyoto in there too! Maybe he can get the right matchups and make a run. I am legit excited to watch this. Props Bellator

I think the line up will be:

Mousasi, Yoel, Rumble, Nemkov, Davis, Bader, Corey & Anglickas/Yagshimuradov

Don't know exactly who they will choose for the last slot
Yeah, that's right. Yagshimuradov recently signed with Bellator.

What about the HW title? Keep Bader in the HW division so it doesn't stagnate like the LHW did

That GP has arguably the best MW in the world, Romero and the best LHW in the world, Rumble, in it. Bellator is delivering with this one.

Back