Yodan vs Shidan?

Grappleboxing

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why is it that a 4th degree black belt is called a Yodan instead of a Shidan when everything else, beside 1st degree Shodan, follows the Japanese number system?

I apologize if this isn't the right section to post this.

Ah, "shi" is homonymous with 「死」 which means death. So Japanese people tend to avoid this bad omen by using the second prononciation of 4 which is "yon".

Japanese use the word yon for some situations and shi for others. When it comes to stuf like dates (shigatsu/April) or titles (yondan/ 4th level) the word is set. The general number can be used interchangeably.

Same goes for the number 9 with the word kyu and ku and the number 7 with the word shichi or nana.

Ah, "shi" is homonymous with 「死」 which means death. So Japanese people tend to avoid this bad omen by using the second prononciation of 4 which is "yon".

So Shi could mean four or death, depending on the kanji used? So that is why they used Yondan instead of Shidan, I see.

So Shi could mean four or death, depending on the kanji used? So that is why they used Yondan instead of Shidan, I see.

More of a coincidence than anything. The real reason is just Japanese grammatical rules, which can be without much of a real reason sometimes (and inconsistent as well). If you really want a push-comes-to-shove reason, it probably has more to do with kunyomi (native Yamato pronunciation) versus onyomi (Chinese-style pronunciation) more than anything else (a topic that is hard to explain without some Japanese language background).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back