Yay or nay

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Mojorisin99, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

I am currently at school so my choices of what to eat are somewhat limited. I am currently trying to gain about 5-10 pounds of lean mass while maintaing a somewhat healthy well rounded diet. I have listed below the foods I have access to and just answer "yay", "nay", or "won't hurt" if it basically isn't that good but won't kill me either. I currently drink a protein shake a day as well.

hot dogs

hamburgers

raman noodles

cheese pizza

burritos

easy mac

chips

fried chicken

pasta w/ meat sauce

popcorn

vietnamese chicken pho soup

turkey sub

italian sub

pad thai

pepperoni (slices)

vodka (jk, but im tryin to cut back)

thank you.

2. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Go with the turkey sub on whole wheat bread, it will taste good and be good for you too.

3. if youre talkin about school food, the only one i see that would be good is hamburger cuz they are really soybeans (round here anyway). pasta with meat sauce wouldnt be too bad, just look at the NF on the sauce.

4. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

I don't know what the burgers are made out of. I think tire treads. I dont necessarily mean just something that will help me put on weight, I wanna get the right amount of carbs and nutrients as well. Whats NF?

5. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

I could be totally off, since the nutritional profiles for foods like these vary so widely, but here goes (for more accuracy, ask them for a pamphlet/whatever telling you the nutritional information of everything they serve...they are required by law to make available this information).

hot dogs
    NAY

hamburgers
    NAY

raman noodles
    WON'T HURT

cheese pizza
    NAY

burritos
    NAY

easy mac
    WON'T HURT

chips
    NAY

fried chicken
    NAY

pasta w/ meat sauce
    YAY

popcorn
    NAY

vietnamese chicken pho soup
    YAY

turkey sub
    YAY (no mayo, light cheese)

italian sub
    WON'T HURT (no mayo, light cheese)

pad thai
    NAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY

pepperoni (slices)
    NAY

vodka (jk, but im tryin to cut back)
    KTFO

Never mind. That was pretty easy. Screw your meal plan.

6. Rjkd12

Rjkd12 Certified Bastard

Comon guys. You have a pretty good idea of whats good and bad. Fried chicken, prolly not. Turkey, yeah. Use your head. Nowif you had a few questions regarding a few of the things that are in the area of gray, that is better. Either way all I know is there is no place in a clean diet for vodka. That is why they make Gunniess and whisky.

7. my big toe

my big toe Yellow Belt

The majority of fat with deep fried chicken is absorbed by the bread coating, so if you take off the skin, it's not that bad. The oil has to be at right temperature, and then allowed to drip off after cooking. The moisture in the meat heats up and bubbles outward, keeping the oil from penetrating the meat.

8. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

Damn looks like my options are limited here. I figured pad thai and a burrito wouldn't be bad (as long as it's chicken) because they are mostly vegetables. Hamburgers I am probably gonna have to eat because more often than not the only other meat they serve is fried chicken.

9. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

So anyone know whats wrong with chicken pad thai and chicken burritos?

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Black Belt

you can't pack lunch to school? The only thing I would eat on there is the turkey sandwich if it was on whole wheat bread. For carbs, I only eat the complex kind.

11. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

A good serving of vodka sure will clean you out though, last time i drink vodka i dont think there was anything left in my stomach. Food poisoning will do the same for ya, good stuff.

12. Madmick

There's nothing inherently wrong with chicken burritos. I eat them all the time, but I make them myself. Have you ever looked at the nutritional profile of the prepackaged burritos at the market? Do yourself a favor, and check it out. Some of the bigger ones, I forget what brand it is, the regular bean & cheese ones have something like 70g of fat! That's more than I get in my whole day. The culprit? Oil. These are the burritos they're serving you. The chicken in those things is also probably thigh meat, or some other cheaper cut with a higher percentage of fat. Rarely in mass-produced prepackaged burritos is breast used.

Pad Thai would be healthy, but have you ever checked what they cook it in? Lard, man, straight freaking lard. The noodles are already pretty fatty and high in cholesterol, too, since they usually use a lot of yolks.

Those are actually two of the probably least healthy items on that list. A hotdog is better.

13. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

Well i'm at college so we have dining commons. We are only allowed certain sized fridges so I can't really pack that thing with the stuff I want. Plus we don't have kitchens so all I got is the Foreman Grill.

14. finnegan

finnegan Mountains and Fleas

Buy lean lunch meat. It doesn't take up too much space, and beats everything on your list. I would also add Ramen to the Nay list. I know they are cheap, but don't rely on them for meals too often.
    Pepperoni slices should be substituted with the turkey variety if possible.
    If you have a freezer, I suggest Lean Pocket Ultras. They have a good ratio of protein/carbs/fat and clock in at 200 calories each. If you have a Kroger near by, they are usually around 2.00 a peice.
    By the way, are you on a meal plan, thus the limited choices? Check the salad bar. They usually have lean meats there.

15. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

I think you need to do some reading up on Soy. From what I have read they have found soy to attach itself to the protien receptors and turn to estrogen. Men especially should stay away from soy products.

16. Madmick

Soy will not make you grow tits.