• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yas Island heat/AC situation?

So it’s the same set up as last time, except this time the AC is supposed to work
from everything I can tell, more or less.
I saw a video of the construction of the 'building' that the event is going to be held in and ...it looks like a semi-permanent strucutre and as such, I DOUBT it has an insulated layer. But I could be wrong. The problem is it's nuclear-hot day and night in UAE right now and what the ambient temperature will be inside will be dependent on how well they can seal it off from the outside air, and how many a/c units are running and what capacity they are and how long they run them BEFORE the event starts.
They're gonna need to be BIG and industrial level and running flat-out for I'd say at least 12 to 15hours BEFORE the event starts. They should have run the numbers and done tests. If the structure is not really insulated I really don't see it getting down below 80-85F. I very much doubt it's going to be mid 70s F at all. I'm going to guess 80 to 83F inside, something like that. They should have at least DOUBLED the a/c capacity. It's in JULY this time and not September. So even hotter. But...I could be wrong and they might install double or triple the a/c units and get it much cooler.

Can the a/c units throw enough cold air in there faster than the incoming infra-red radiation? Not sure.

I'm worried Usman fell in love with his hands against Covington, and will be stupid with the emotions rather than just wrestle fucking like Woodley

Odds do suck. They weren't bad for Burns, but now they're worse and I think Masvidal has a better chance to win than Burns ever did

I was tempted to lay down some money on the off chance what you're saying is true or Masvidal could just piece him up standing before getting wrestle-MeToo'd. But after watching Covington just smother him in those ATT videos and rewatching Maia take him down in highlights, idk I can't do it.

I think Burns is better than Masvidal. I actually disagree there. I think Burns BJJ is significantly better than Mas' is, but more so he's just bigger and stronger and could feasibly stop some takedowns and reverse some cage-fucking.

I'm out on it. I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it...but I just can't waste the money on Mas. I see Mas more as a Diaz/Cerrone/Sanchez level guy, different style obviously. I cannot see Masvidal beating Covington or Woodley...even though he did beat Till and Askren, idk I see it was a flukey run more than anything. Who knows, but I think there's a lot of hype over Mas right now and he doesn't quite deserve it.

Edit:

As of right now I'm thinking: Aldo +200 (ish), stay away from Volk/Holloway although I'd go Volk I guess, and stay away from Mas-Usman but I'd go Usman.

I'd maybe lay money on Rose but no idea what the line is, assuming she's a favorite too. I'm just not too keen on beating on big favorites. I don't want to lay 3x my money on Usman and get completely screwed due to Abu Dhabi A/C or a flukey strike. Name of the game I guess.

Last edited:
Rain, snow, 120 degree UAE desert heat - Usman is going to wrestle-fuck Mas. Odds suck for Usman so I'm officially out on that fight.

Yeah that’s a tough one to predict...I’m not sure who the heat would favor more. Masvidal because he’d be slippery, or usman because he has the better cardio. It’s just adding a whole element I’m not sure I want to think about.

Hmm, if I had to guess the fighters are:

Aldo
Andrade
Volkanovski
Volkan
Masvidal

Are those the ones you're waiting to see if there's AC or not before deciding on? Those are the ones off the top of my head who have had gas issues/their opponents have great gas tanks. In which case them tiring out far sooner than normal could cost them the fight.

Not that I'm betting on them. I took Yan, Rose, Volk, Volkan, and Usman regardless
It will have an impact on every single fight if it plays out like last time they were in Abu Dhabi. The whole care went sideways because it was such a curveball. Seeing khabib wrestle Dustin just the way we predicted almost felt wrong after such a weird event.

I'm worried Usman fell in love with his hands against Covington, and will be stupid with the emotions rather than just wrestle fucking like Woodley

Odds do suck. They weren't bad for Burns, but now they're worse and I think Masvidal has a better chance to win than Burns ever did
I don’t think masvidal has a better chance. I think burns had better hands by a significant amount, and had better wrestling but worse cardio. That was my read on it. When I say better wrestling, you could split that either way, until we see it, we won’t know.

from everything I can tell, more or less.
I saw a video of the construction of the 'building' that the event is going to be held in and ...it looks like a semi-permanent strucutre and as such, I DOUBT it has an insulated layer. But I could be wrong. The problem is it's nuclear-hot day and night in UAE right now and what the ambient temperature will be inside will be dependent on how well they can seal it off from the outside air, and how many a/c units are running and what capacity they are and how long they run them BEFORE the event starts.
They're gonna need to be BIG and industrial level and running flat-out for I'd say at least 12 to 15hours BEFORE the event starts. They should have run the numbers and done tests. If the structure is not really insulated I really don't see it getting down below 80-85F. I very much doubt it's going to be mid 70s F at all. I'm going to guess 80 to 83F inside, something like that. They should have at least DOUBLED the a/c capacity. It's in JULY this time and not September. So even hotter. But...I could be wrong and they might install double or triple the a/c units and get it much cooler.

Can the a/c units throw enough cold air in there faster than the incoming infra-red radiation? Not sure.

Bingo, you get it. The output of the AC is crucial. That’s why I’m asking a few days out. They were very clearly unprepared last time. This first event is crucial, because instead of doing the big event last when they have the kinks worked out, they put it first. So that makes me feel like they’re confident they have it. But the lack of anyone like Dana or ESPN Press talking about it makes me nervous. You’d think they’d directly address it after what happened last time

Yeah that’s a tough one to predict...I’m not sure who the heat would favor more. Masvidal because he’d be slippery, or usman because he has the better cardio. It’s just adding a whole element I’m not sure I want to think about.

It will have an impact on every single fight if it plays out like last time they were in Abu Dhabi. The whole care went sideways because it was such a curveball. Seeing khabib wrestle Dustin just the way we predicted almost felt wrong after such a weird event.

I don’t think masvidal has a better chance. I think burns had better hands by a significant amount, and had better wrestling but worse cardio. That was my read on it. When I say better wrestling, you could split that either way, until we see it, we won’t know.

Bingo, you get it. The output of the AC is crucial. That’s why I’m asking a few days out. They were very clearly unprepared last time. This first event is crucial, because instead of doing the big event last when they have the kinks worked out, they put it first. So that makes me feel like they’re confident they have it. But the lack of anyone like Dana or ESPN Press talking about it makes me nervous. You’d think they’d directly address it after what happened last time

Who are you betting then?

I totally agree on Burns. I don't even think Burns' cardio is bad. Who has better cardio Masvidal or Burns? Now factor in no camp. Now factor in Abu Dhabi lol. I mean Burns went 5 with Woodley not too long ago right? He didn't gas really at all from what I recall.

I just edited a post but I'm already contradicting it, this is what I"m thinking after looking at lines: Aldo +175-200, Volk -230, maybe something on Rose -210.

Out on Mas-Usman totally as of now. -265-300 for Usman, don't know exact lines yet because I haven't placed anything, just too much to wager for me almost 3-1 or literal 3-1. And I don't see Mas winning, I'm not gonna burn my money on the 5-15% chance he gets a fluke KO or something. I can't stress enough I see him getting wrestle fucked to death, and I think Usman's striking is good enough to create entries for clinch/shots easily.

Someone needs to measure the temperature inside there at fight night and later on in the main card when the sun is up again and all..

Tweet at a journo.

Who are you betting then?

I totally agree on Burns. I don't even think Burns' cardio is bad. Who has better cardio Masvidal or Burns? Now factor in no camp. Now factor in Abu Dhabi lol. I mean Burns went 5 with Woodley not too long ago right? He didn't gas really at all from what I recall.

I just edited a post but I'm already contradicting it, this is what I"m thinking after looking at lines: Aldo +175-200, Volk -230, maybe something on Rose -210.

Out on Mas-Usman totally as of now. -265-300 for Usman, don't know exact lines yet because I haven't placed anything, just too much to wager for me almost 3-1 or literal 3-1. And I don't see Mas winning, I'm not gonna burn my money on the 5-15% chance he gets a fluke KO or something. I can't stress enough I see him getting wrestle fucked to death, and I think Usman's striking is good enough to create entries for clinch/shots easily.
For me, just talking about the top 5 fights on this card, there's only 3 of them I feel quite confident about picking and that's (in no particular order) : Alex Volkanovski, Amanda Ribas, Petr Yan.
I'd be a bit surprised if I got any of those 3 picks wrong.

I can see the Mas/Usman fight going EITHER way. V tough to call that one, although the smart money would say "Usman all day long".
Namajunas vs Andrade : v tough to call that. I'd probably say Namajunas, but not with much confidence.

I think the ac worked last time too, they just started it far too late because they put the tent up last minute.
yup I think you're right. It was a rush job and with a very high cubic volume to cool down, i'd have it running flat-out 48hours before the event starts and seal off every possible place hot air can get inside. Best would be layers of thermal insulation similar to what SpaceX have done in their white 'semi-permanent' structures at Boca Chica, Texas, where they are building their Starship prototypes.
See this pic of one of SpaceX "sprung structures" in Texas, with the insulation sheets partly installed. I think Abu Dhabi MIGHT be similar deal: (it's not a solid building as far as i know in Abu Dhabi)
SpaceX Tents.jpg

OK more info (cos I kinda like kicking a subject to death!)

4 pics of the actual Abu Dhabi Fight-Island arena being constructed below :

- It's 640,000 square meters interior floor space so it's goddamn big = A lot of cubic meters of air to cool.
- It's a steel joists structure with what looks like semi-rigid panels that are white outside (good, reflects sunlight) and black inside
- It's v hard to tell if it's DOUBLE-SKIN. Really to keep the heat out it would need to be double-skin.
- Don't know if there's an air layer or an insulative layer between the exterior white sheeting and the interior black sheeting :

Pic #1 UFC 251 Arena construction:
Arena-1.jpg

Pic #2 UFC 251 Arena construction:
Arena-2.jpg

Pic #3 UFC 251 Arena construction:
Arena-3.jpg

Pic #4 UFC 251 Arena construction:
Arena-4.jpg

AC money went to Masvidal’s contract. Uncle Dana will keep the thermostat at a cool 95F. But he will have his portable AC by his table.

This video of behind-the-scenes of the production side of the event and the rooms and the setup around the Arena itself is quite interesting :

Back