News Yan Xiaonan vs Carla Esparza set to take place at UFC Fight Night event, May 22nd

Yan Xiaonan vs Carla Esparza

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't like Carla (she is boring) but i think he deserves the title shot and not this fight.

Lol, stay safe bro!
Oh shit you were being serious. Damn man. I thought you were joking.
umm no. Was hit by a taxi yesterday.
Riding reasonably fast on my bike, the taxi was parked and the driver just opened their door full-wide when I was about 4ft. away..... = impact, fly, land, bouce, roll, slide. Driver thought i was all broken but left leg hurts and left shoulder etc but I know when I've broken bones (plenty times) so.... got up and told the lady not to worry and she calmed down a bit and I said no significant damage, some blood, and i'm limping today but all good.

Did you rep Sherdog by growling, beating the shit out of the driver, and destroying the vehicle by hulk smash?
nah I WOULD have been annoyed and made her pay if my bike was damaged but weirdly it didn't seem affected. She said it was her fault immediately and I think she was scared I was gonna call the cops and they'd cause her grief. No big deal. I'll be ok in 2 or 3 days.

nah I WOULD have been annoyed and made her pay if my bike was damaged but weirdly it didn't seem affected. She said it was her fault immediately and I think she was scared I was gonna call the cops and they'd cause her grief. No big deal. I'll be ok in 2 or 3 days.

If you hit your head at all or spine - I'd of filed a report. But again jus glad yer good.

I did the same thing. Coming home from work and stopped at a red light. Girl hit me. Very minor damage to the trunk. Trunk still worked. Girl seemed shocked and scared. No damage to me. Looked like she learned a lesson and the paint on the car was already fading so figured no need to fuck up her insurance.

I don't even like Carla but people aren't giving her enough credit. She is one of two legit wrestlers in the division and has exposed a lot of strikers for having poor TDD and looking past her.

Maybe Yan has spent as much time in the gym as Weili lately but she better have spent it mostly on her TDD and will have to be on her A game. She is also reckless and swings/kicks for the fences. Like Weili it hasn't really seemed to impact her cardio much either. Both of them have athleticism to spare in spades. The opposite of Claudia.

But if she is going to be that predictable Carla can time her and unless Yan is significantly stronger than Carla she won't be coming back up. Carla is actually half decent in keeping fighters who don't know what they are doing on the ground. If you go back to her fight with JJ you can see the high level TDD that she had to employ to negate Carla and that's a Carla who made obvious mistakes. Mistakes someone like Tatiana doesn't make. Yet she still folds other girls up including supposed top grapplers.

I'm actually more interested in this fight than the two title fights if only to see what changes Yan has done, is she looking past Carla and what her gameplan is. I suspect an attempt to negate the need for TDD and just try to take Carla's head off in the first minute. Makes the most logical sense in terms of spending time in the gym for future fights with mostly strikers.

Honestly even if Yan gets subbed it won't even matter since the top of the division is mostly strikers so chances are most if not all of her future matchups in the UFC if she stays around the top 5 will be fights where she is more comfortable and favored. Better to get this type of bad style matchup out of the way.

Esparza is very good at killing hype. She beat so many "future champ", i'm already stop counting at this point.

Well she is the first SW champion for a reason. Just a bit underrated imo.

Recent interview with Yan Xiaonan:

Esparza is tricky to predict. She doesn't really dominate anyone, but she gets the wins. She's won two and lost two split decisions in her last eight fights. And even one of the judges in her Grasso win scored it a draw. But she's tough, and has that veteran wiliness.

I don't think we've ever seen Yan against a relentless wrestler like Esparza either. Who is the best grappler she's beaten? Gadelha? This fight will tell us a lot about her.

Esparza is tricky to predict. She doesn't really dominate anyone, but she gets the wins. She's won two and lost two split decisions in her last eight fights. And even one of the judges in her Grasso win scored it a draw. But she's tough, and has that veteran wiliness.

I don't think we've ever seen Yan against a relentless wrestler like Esparza either. Who is the best grappler she's beaten? Gadelha? This fight will tell us a lot about her.

Yes. I just don't know if Carla has been successful, wrestling wise, with a much bigger and stronger opponent like Yan in the past. I just can't see her closing the gap for her takedowns without getting tagged coming in. Afaik Yan has decent scrambles and though she's a heavy hitter, she's light on her feet. I expect Yan to win.

Last edited:
BZNboTvCAAAHuM9.jpg

Yes. I just don't know if Carla has been successful, wrestling wise, with a much bigger and stronger opponent like Yan in the past. I just can't see her closing the gap for her takedowns without getting tagged coming in. Afaik Yan has decent scrambles and tough she's a heavy hitter, she's light on her feet. I expect Yan to win.

Yeah, to me Yan seems like one of the top women at strawweight. I favor her as well. But Carla is a tough task for any but the best. I think she's a live dog.

Reactions: Gio
Yeah, to me Yan seems like one of the top women at strawweight. I favor her as well. But Carla is a tough task for any but the best. I think she's a live dog.
I just if she does win, she wins by submission or at least trying for one. She has a tendency or spamming takedowns but doing nothing productive

Back