Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes

SSJP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where is the distinction? I know that there are two actual vegetables, but it seems like a lot of supermarkets refer to the orange-fleshed sweet potatoes as yams. I bought some sweet potatoes today, cut them open and the flesh was white. How does these compare in taste to the orange? How do the nutritional profiles differ among different sweet potatoes, and how do yams compare as well?

You probably won't ever see a real yam in the supermarket. the confusion comes from African slaves who came over, saw sweet potatoes, and confused them with the yams they grew back in Africa. Here in the states, yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing, just different breeds. Like white vs yellow nectarines: same fruit, different color, slightly different taste.

For my money, more color = more better, but then again more dietary variety = more better too.

Weird. This same thing happened to me today while I was at Whole Foods. I wanted to buy sweet potatoes and all I could find was "white sweet potatoes." Anyway, I ended up buying "yams" becuase they were orange in the middle.

Back