Yakuza 5

DoMeFavors

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Going to be one of the free PS Plus PS3 August games. Didn't have a thread. Anybody play it yet? Seems to have a lot of hype.

I'm curious how it is. Last one I had was Yakuza 2 or 3 on PS3 - imported it from Japan and thought somehow I'd have the patience to read a translation guide, lol. Couldn't sell it for shit so I junked it. It was good - at least what I understood - but I hope they improved the combat. The game had somewhat of a Shenmue feel to it, ambience-wise.

I've never played one before but always been curious.. I'll have to give it a try.

That's crazy the full Virtua Fighter 2 game is playable in arcades. I love that.

I played 2 and enjoyed it for the most part.

I bought it a while back (First ever Yakuza game). Reminded me of Shemnue (Which I didn't like at all). You walk around slowly and interact with shit just like real life. Don't really know what you're doing or where you're going. You want to spaz out and kill people but the combat is repetitive and silly, and the driving is stiff and boring. Obviously there's a lot of backstory I missed, but you're not playing a badass Yakuza pimp either, you're some asshole who ain't bout dat life anymore and just wants to be a Taxi Driver. I'd give it a pass bro

fuuuuu! I just bought this a week ago! :mad:

still need to finish 4, thanks for the heads up though.

I bought it a while back (First ever Yakuza game). Reminded me of Shemnue (Which I didn't like at all). You walk around slowly and interact with shit just like real life. Don't really know what you're doing or where you're going. You want to spaz out and kill people but the combat is repetitive and silly, and the driving is stiff and boring. Obviously there's a lot of backstory I missed, but you're not playing a badass Yakuza pimp either, you're some asshole who ain't bout dat life anymore and just wants to be a Taxi Driver. I'd give it a pass bro

Exactly what I assumed from the reviews but it will be free so no real loss for me to try it out. If you have played Sleeping Dogs, better or worse?

Exactly what I assumed from the reviews but it will be free so no real loss for me to try it out. If you have played Sleeping Dogs, better or worse?

I'd say Sleeping Dogs is better in just about every way. Completed that shit multiple times, and will probably do it again someday

I'd say Sleeping Dogs is better in just about every way. Completed that shit multiple times, and will probably do it again someday

Yeah loved me some Sleeping Dogs. Was hoping this was a Sleeping Dogs clone when I saw the side activities and stuff. Oh well, will still give it a go.

It's an alright series, but vastly overrated, and gets away with shit no other modern game would get away with. Text boxes in 2016? Seriously? If this series wasn't some foreign, cult hit, it would not be met with such favorable reviews. I see people around the net call games in this series "GOTY hands down!", or "WAY better than GTA!", and I just have to laugh.

Essentially, these games offer an absurd amount of content(which is a big part of it's appeal), but the problem is that none of the game play mechanics are tight, and the whole thing turns into being a big bowl of "meh". Even the story, which is praised by pretty much everyone, isn't all that great.

But it's super Japanese, and not many people play it, so I guess that excuses it's glaring faults.

lol, game play is definitely outdated. It's claim to fame is the near exact layout of Kabuki-cho, the red light district in Tokyo, and some insight into the water trade of Japanese culture, like going to hostess clubs and trying to bed the hostesses. Story is interesting, if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Damn I remember playing the original on the PS2. I loved it, so excited to see what the series is like now.

Might start this tonight. I hope you can still yell Fuck You while beating the crap out of someone.

Might download it.
Finished the Japanese retail version couple years back , so I might not finish it.

OK I think I'm done with this game and series. Nail in coffin was when they had me pick up trash and make Ramen. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back