Xscape: 8 New Tracks from Michael Jackson

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Will be released in two days on the 13th:
Bringing Michael Jackson Back: The Inside Story of 'Xscape' (Cover Story)
The project was created by L.A. Reid of Epic Records, and overseen by Timbaland as EP.
Billboard said:
"Xscape," which comes out May 13, is eight tracks of Jackson vocals set to new music from Timbaland and J-Roc, Rodney Jerkins, Stargate and John McClain, the former A&M Records executive who is co-executor of the Jackson estate with Branca. The originals they worked with were recorded from 1983 to 1999, the period just after Thriller to just before Invincible.

The finished songs are not remixes. Reid chose a riskier path, charging each of his producers to create what are essentially new songs based only on Jackson's vocal tracks. Timbaland — the project's executive producer, who oversaw five tracks with his collaborator J-Roc — talks about it almost like a ghost story, Jackson's disembodied voice urging him on, dissuading him from sounds that weren't innovative enough, and giving his blessing when they were.

This is the second full album in a deal between the Jackson estate and Sony Music to put out previously unreleased material, reportedly worth $250 million. The first, 2010's Michael, focused on the most recent material Jackson was recording in the years leading up to his death. It was completed by a half dozen producers, many from the original sessions, who tried to carry out his intentions as best they could. The results fell well short of Jackson's studio perfectionism. Branca calls the process "somewhat chaotic" and notes it lacked an overall guiding vision.
Thought I'd give the Berry a heads up.

Never been a fan of posthumanous albums where the deceased artist had no input. But its Michael so maybe it will surprise.

Has anyone listened to this? As expected, of course there are not "hits" on it. It's drawn from potential deep tracks that didn't even make a B-side, but two of the songs, "Love Never Felt So Good", and "Loving You", are both entirely worthy of being deep tracks on either of two of his three greatest albums, Off the Wall and Thriller. It's good- not great- material, but they're elevated by probably the greatest entertainer of all time who elevated such material more than any other living performer in modern history above it's natural worth.

Either could have made either album as a deep track, and for that alone both are worth listening to. I'm astonished how much more I enjoy relatively mediocre material by MJ than by today's "greats". I miss his sound- at its peak- so freaking much. Both of them must have been final cuts painfully laid on the floor.

Spotify it:
https://play.spotify.com/album/7pomP86PUhoJpY3fsC0WDQ

Back