x-guard, entrances, setups, help me out

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My x-guard game is pretty good, I have a pretty good offense, know several sweeps, and I enjoy throwing people for a spin with it.

My major problem is achieving it. I can never seem to consistantly pull x-guard

can I get some help

dude the x guard is very rare to pull from standing.. i like to start out in butterfly and make them post on one side then i pull out the x guard.. or if see the opening, ill go for it.. x guard is something that you kind of have to set up. it is defintely very effective just play your guard game to set it up..

focus on throwing and it will all work out in the end. My game relys heavily on X guard, Hooks Guard, and a lot of arm drag type of stuff ... but ever since I have worked with a wrestler coach I feel more comfortable trying for hard stuff and trying to get top becasue I know if I fail I can always go back to guard. But remember it is best to be on top.

I get it from 3 major positions:
- if I'm playing butterfly and he is standing. I grab (for ex.) with my right hand his right leg (above his knee on the inner thigh) and hook with my right leg. I then just spin under him. (marcelo shows this in his first no gi instr.)
- from half-guard. I try to get under him as much as I can, catch the leg that is not between my legs and try to "exit the back door". I lift him and get my hooks.
- from butterfly when he is posting one foot to defend the sweep.

tudor_bjj said:
I get it from 3 major positions:
- if I'm playing butterfly and he is standing. I grab (for ex.) with my right hand his right leg (above his knee on the inner thigh) and hook with my right leg. I then just spin under him. (marcelo shows this in his first no gi instr.)
- from half-guard. I try to get under him as much as I can, catch the leg that is not between my legs and try to "exit the back door". I lift him and get my hooks.
- from butterfly when he is posting one foot to defend the sweep.

Oh yeah.....good call. I've set up from those positions too......

I've always entered into the x-guard from the butterfly guard. As Tudor posted, whenever the guy stands up or is posting out a leg, you can easily transition to x-guard.

I've found it really hard to get to x-guard from half-guard. Maybe it's cause I have long legs that get tangled up, but I find it easier to switch to De la Riva guard from half-guard.

I get it from halfguard the most. But Marcelo Garcia has an awesome entry into X-guard from standing. The major point is to literally pull yourself into it, not just fall and try to get under him.

Let's say you have sleeve control with your left arm. Take your left foot and place it in the crook of his kneed. As you lower yourself, use this hook to pull yourself under him. What's most important is that you keep a hold of his right sleeve (the one in your left grip) because keeping that tight will bring him off balance and render him unable to step away. Your right arm now goes under his left leg and you hold it like doing a bicep curl. Meanwhile, don't go straight for X-guard just yet. Your right leg is still not doing much, so place it right next your left, in the crook of his knee, facing the same as your left. So right now, your left hand is controlling the sleeve and pulling him down, right arm is controlling the left leg, and both of your feet are hooked into his right knee. Now release the sleeve in your left hand and grab his ankle, then you can change your right hook to the proper X-guard. Chances are you won't need to because he'll be so off balance, that you can just keep your feet pointed in the same direction.

like Dr. BadAss mentioned, marcelo garcia loves the x guard and has some amazing sweep from there, you should check out some of his stuff

I have long legs and love to enter X from the half. I typically play my half with the inside leg trapping their leg and the outside leg set up like a butterfly. If I get the underhook I typically hip out and if I can take their back, but otherwise sit out to butterfly. When I have trouble with getting the underhook I dive in and underhook their leg (like X) then roll to the flat of my back using their leg to pull their wieght on top of me and elevating with my butterfly hook. Thats where I silp in the other hook to complete the X.

btw we are starting from our knees.

Im a bottom guy so im not real agressive off the get go, I like setting hooks and sweeping.
Thanks a lot for the posts, I actually used the entrance from halfguard and it worked pretty well.

Thanks for the help, and more replys would be great

Somebody mentioned transitioning to X-guard whenever the guy posts a leg.

Would that include when in knee-to-belly? Usually, when I get caught in a knee-to-belly mount, I'm trying to to elbow escape and transition to all fours (emphasis on "trying"). Is there an escape from knee-to-belly that is also an entrance/set-up to the X-guard?

wOg said:
Somebody mentioned transitioning to X-guard whenever the guy posts a leg.

Would that include when in knee-to-belly? Usually, when I get caught in a knee-to-belly mount, I'm trying to to elbow escape and transition to all fours (emphasis on "trying"). Is there an escape from knee-to-belly that is also an entrance/set-up to the X-guard?

Not directly to X guard. Your best bet would be to cup his foot and place it between your legs, then push his knee back and get half guard. Then from half guard, X guard.

Back