Wrist size NOT hand size = punching power

Carwin has big wrists.

130514140520-shane-carwin-t1bb-single-image-cut.jpg

Pitbull has big wrists, as well.

foto-2-patricio-pitbull-copia.jpg

Fedor's wrists seem to fluctuate depending on what photo you use.

Fedor-Emelianenko-2004-NHB-Fighter-of-the-Yea.jpg

fedor-emelianenko-16.jpg

I think that's a sign he's got regular-sized wrists; maybe a little above-average, but not large for his frame (unless you consider slightly above-average to be large, but whatever; in that case, he's probably met the bare-minimum requirement to be considered to have "large wrists").

What a lot of people are misunderstanding is that large wrists are not a requirement for punching power. It's not like, "Joe has large wrists. Joe has punching power. Carl does not have large wrists. Therefore, Carl does not have punching power." Punching power comes from a myriad of factors; foot positioning can be synonymous with punching power, as can back strength. There's a lot of things that can lead to punching power, and wrist-size is one of them; it's not like you can't have punching power if you don't have large wrists, or even that you can't have a larger frame without large wrists, but it is a typical trait among those with punching power and those with large frames. A lot of people are also trying to debunk this by posting small-wristed fighters with power, but try to find a fighter with large wrists that doesn't have punching power.

I've, personally, got about 7 1/2-inch wrists. Depending on how tight I have the thread go against the skin it changes-- as tight as I can have it go without breaking the thread it gets to about 7-inches, and loose but without slack goes to about 7 3/4's to 8-inches-- but 7 1/2 is about right. At 5'11 or 6'0 (my height changes depending on the day, as height is wont to do), that seems about average-- apparently, according to a body-frame calculator, it's a little above average, but whatever; it seems average to me. So I've got average wrists and an average dick-size.

Carwin has big wrists.

130514140520-shane-carwin-t1bb-single-image-cut.jpg

Pitbull has big wrists, as well.

foto-2-patricio-pitbull-copia.jpg

Fedor's wrists seem to fluctuate depending on what photo you use.

Fedor-Emelianenko-2004-NHB-Fighter-of-the-Yea.jpg

fedor-emelianenko-16.jpg

I think that's a sign he's got regular-sized wrists; maybe a little above-average, but not large for his frame (unless you consider slightly above-average to be large, but whatever; in that case, he's probably met the bare-minimum requirement to be considered to have "large wrists").

What a lot of people are misunderstanding is that large wrists are not a requirement for punching power. It's not like, "Joe has large wrists. Joe has punching power. Carl does not have large wrists. Therefore, Carl does not have punching power." Punching power comes from a myriad of factors; foot positioning can be synonymous with punching power, as can back strength. There's a lot of things that can lead to punching power, and wrist-size is one of them; it's not like you can't have punching power if you don't have large wrists, or even that you can't have a larger frame without large wrists, but it is a typical trait among those with punching power and those with large frames. A lot of people are also trying to debunk this by posting small-wristed fighters with power, but try to find a fighter with large wrists that doesn't have punching power.

I've, personally, got about 7 1/2-inch wrists. Depending on how tight I have the thread go against the skin it changes-- as tight as I can have it go without breaking the thread it gets to about 7-inches, and loose but without slack goes to about 7 3/4's to 8-inches-- but 7 1/2 is about right. At 5'11 or 6'0 (my height changes depending on the day, as height is wont to do), that seems about average-- apparently, according to a body-frame calculator, it's a little above average, but whatever; it seems average to me. So I've got average wrists and an average dick-size.

The end of this post was like the twist in the usual suspects or something, good work man :D

big legs = big punching power

Uh... damn it! i have tiny hands and tiny wrist...

Wrist size makes someone a big puncher? Not at all. People develop big punching power by being efficient at putting their body weight into motion and maintaining a proper power line.

It does seem that it may be important, particularly with straight punches.

On the other hand, there are also muscles, ligaments, and last but not least, hand wraps to keep the wrist 'stiff'.

Hendricks has tiny hands and wrists

That's why he needs full wraps, obviously.

not one thing determines punching power, a lot of the biggest punchers are short with small hands and medium sized wrists, look at hendo, hendricks, lawler, manhoef, lombard. Usually short people don't have huge hands and wrists unless they are like hunt with massive frame. Some not all of you really need to do better research before citing one article you saw. There are too many power punchers with small hands and wrists to say that is the main reason for power

This subject is boxing 101. Everyone knows its technique and throwing your weight into it. Some jackass coined the term "heavy hands" and people went full retard taking it literal.

Neither really matter (as long as the hand/wrist aren't bird bones). Speed and torque/force created by the movement of the hips in coordination with the planting and pushing off the power leg and the snap of the shoulder extension is what create the KO.

Wrist and Hand size just help with general ppsi added and less reliance on said power creation as a whole.

NEVER admit to not being a scientist on the internet. NEVER. We are all experts in every field; we all PhDs and MDs; we are all billionaire businessmen; we all have multiple hot wives; we are all 6'5 200lbs body-builder, model, blackbelts. We are the internet. We are Legion.

6'5 200lbs? my pecs weigh that much.
Seriously, do you even lift?

lol @ how you guys keep showing pictures of heavyweights and saying "This guy has big wrists!"

Then you show a welterweight, or featherweight and say "This guy has small wrists"

Are we beginning to see a weight correlation perhaps?

punching power directly proportionate to size of genitals.
its common sense.

Neither really matter (as long as the hand/wrist aren't bird bones). Speed and torque/force created by the movement of the hips in coordination with the planting and pushing off the power leg and the snap of the shoulder extension is what create the KO.
Excuse me, this is Sherdog, and factually-based, logical posts are not welcome here OK thank you

The hand/arm is easily the least important part of any punch.

big legs = big punching power

I raise you Bendo, sir. He has huge legs but not known for punching power. Then again he dropped Nate Diaz who has an iron chin on several occasions. Meh what do I know :p

I have really small wrists and hands but my arms are short nd buff have that cocked look that Hendo has with his and I hit pretty hard. I also have big ass and thighs. Want to know my stats bro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back