Wrestling vs Jiu jitsu II

jludley

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I posted a thread the other day about how Im getting back in to jiu jitsu lessons and how my teacher said my wrestling background was no help in jiu jitsu. I also stated that me and my teacher will have a little match up and the results went on to prove my point. Wrestling is very useful I went up against my teacher and 2 other students and I totaly dominated. It was great but Im gonna stay in the class because there is a lot more for me to learn and the only reason I won was because I out powered them and used alot of defense and control tactics that I learned in wrestling.

YOu dominated your teacher? In my class there is the number 2 ranked wrestler in the province, and a top 5 ranked wrestler in the Commonwealth and the teacher OWNS them. Ever think of switching schools?

I'm inclined to agree. If you can control any section of your match against your instructor, I recommend you switch schools. Your instructor doesn't know his stuff.

yeh dude even the fact that he sed wrestling is no help is bull shit, every1 knows BJJ's weakness is take downs so u can combine the best of both, i strongly reccomend u find a better coach, you dont wanna learn shitty techniques, BJJ rapes all!, dont u forget it

gracie_barra said:
YOu dominated your teacher? In my class there is the number 2 ranked wrestler in the province, and a top 5 ranked wrestler in the Commonwealth and the teacher OWNS them. Ever think of switching schools?

I wish I could go to a better school Ive wrestled for 10 yrs and the guy Im training with is a friend and he does freestyle jiu jitsu I trained a little in jiu jitsu before the thing is Im in germany a small town in the middle of nowhere and I dont know of any place where I can go. Im coming back to the states in april of next year I cant wait because then I can get in to some class's with a real camp. This guy I train with is nothing special he has trained in freestyle jiu jitsu faught in a couple small tournaments did pretty good but I just over powered him when it came to the take down I got him in a double under hook and scooped him up and just dropped him I think at that point I knocked the wind out of him and he put me in his full guard I escaped his guard and got him in a side mount and got him in Im not sure if you could call it a triangle choke with your arms or not but thats what I think it is but I locked it in tight and I think in about 2 mins I had him tapping out.

you know that free style jiujitsu is not the same as brazillian jiu-jitsu...

jludley, whats the name of the town? and in which state it is? Maybe i can direct you to better place.

gracie_barra said:
who are the wrestlers?

Flibb said:
jludley, whats the name of the town? and in which state it is? Maybe i can direct you to better place.

Im in Idar Oberstien Germany right now Im going to Ft Lee virginia In April and Im going to school there for about a month and then I go to either Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, or Hawaii. So Im not sure what school Im going to.

kimurense said:
you know that free style jiujitsu is not the same as brazillian jiu-jitsu...

Yes I do know this

That teacher is stupid. Wrestling definitely helps with grappling, and high-level wrestlers with limited submission knowledge can and do place at no-gi tournaments. Wrestling isn't everything, but its definitely a head start.

Although, I disagree with those who think BJJ doesn't have takedowns. To be a good grappler you must have the ability issue and counter takedowns of both the judo and wrestling kind. I think it is an error by your instructor if he doesn't teach them.

That said, there certainly is bias in how things are generally taught. Many judokas seem to only drill their throws. Grappers tend to drill groundwork too much, and wrestlers tend to drill their shots and breakdowns ad infinitum. I know having practiced with all three. It is easy to develop bad habits that way. Therefor, I crosstrain to fill in the holes of my instruction. I feel that in the future there will be a shift where takedowns and throws taught much more in BJJ practices than the general rule nowadays.

agu0001 said:
yeh dude even the fact that he sed wrestling is no help is bull shit, every1 knows BJJ's weakness is take downs so u can combine the best of both, i strongly reccomend u find a better coach, you dont wanna learn shitty techniques, BJJ rapes all!, dont u forget it

heh heh heh i don't think so

At the very least you showed your "teacher" that wrestling does work...heh hehe

OpethDrums said:
heh heh heh i don't think so

How dare u say BJJ doesnt rape all, Rickson is on his way to your house now!

I tapped out a BJJ student with a cross-face. I was like wtf? Wrestling does help you with BJJ and the other way around, but I mean come on...a little pain tolerence please?

oh and I transitioned to his back first and locked hands too, I was going to go down for the choke but he tapped once I locked the hands in

TapOutGrapler said:
oh and I transitioned to his back first and locked hands too, I was going to go down for the choke but he tapped once I locked the hands in

I tapped a wrestler even though the choke was not sunk in after I got his back.

Wrestling vs. Jiu Jitsu threads are great.

There is an Army Combatives School somewhere in Germany now. Not exactly sure where, but if you can make it, I suggest you go. The guy who runs it is Steve, and he would hand you your ass. Watch for kimuras.

As everybody else says, if you are handling your instructor with that much ease, go somewhere else. I hear freestyle jiu-jitsu, I think, " I've watched a bunch of UFC's and now I am going to teach jiu-jitsu." I may be wrong.

lee.l. said:
There is an Army Combatives School somewhere in Germany now. Not exactly sure where, but if you can make it, I suggest you go. The guy who runs it is Steve, and he would hand you your ass. Watch for kimuras.

As everybody else says, if you are handling your instructor with that much ease, go somewhere else. I hear freestyle jiu-jitsu, I think, " I've watched a bunch of UFC's and now I am going to teach jiu-jitsu." I may be wrong.

That would be cool if I knew where it was Im gonna look it up Im comin back to the states anyway pretty soon so I could find a place near where Im going. Oh and Freestyle jiu jitsu is a style of jiu jitsu I dont know everything about it but I know it is an actual style not just some show boats.

Back