Wrestling techniques in BJJ

BJJ Beginner

Green Belt
Reaction score
All the recent threads on the switch have me wondering: besides the usual takedowns that everyone trains, what wrestling techniques are worth adding into one's jiu jitsu game? I'm talking sweeps, reversals, escapes, submissions (the guillotine/twister for example), or even just ways of controlling your opponent. Any suggestions?

the grip battle is in the wrestlers favour while standing so any good combination of grips to set up a takedown. a good switch is a great wrestling move to have in ur toolbox also

Honestly, the biggest thing that I got from wrestling wasn't something that you could just briefly cross train and pick up. Wrestlers have great balance and are good at maintaining top position. They keep a lot of pressure on you. They are very good at scrambling. Usually this translates into being good at passing the guard. I find its the little things that you will not pick up unless you have trained just wrestling for quite some time that are most helpful. Yes you can cross train, yes it will help a lot, but a bjj player cross training will never get these core wrestling instincts that can be so helpful in bjj.

Switch, Arm drags, sit outs, a proper double or single, wizzers, underhooks, single collar tie.

Honestly, the biggest thing that I got from wrestling wasn't something that you could just briefly cross train and pick up. Wrestlers have great balance and are good at maintaining top position. They keep a lot of pressure on you. They are very good at scrambling. Usually this translates into being good at passing the guard. I find its the little things that you will not pick up unless you have trained just wrestling for quite some time that are most helpful. Yes you can cross train, yes it will help a lot, but a bjj player cross training will never get these core wrestling instincts that can be so helpful in bjj.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to develop a wrestler's instincts from a little cross training. I'm just looking to expand my BJJ game by adding a few new tricks to my repertoire. Stuff that might be obvious to wrestlers, but which you wouldn't ordinarily see taught in a BJJ class.

This kid at my gym showed me a move from the turtle that splits your opp's groin....I dont the know the wrestling name (scissor something or other maybe) but it was pretty cool. I used it in that class and it worked so some wrestling shit works

This kid at my gym showed me a move from the turtle that splits your opp's groin....I dont the know the wrestling name (scissor something or other maybe) but it was pretty cool. I used it in that class and it worked so some wrestling shit works

You on top or bottom? On top it might be a leg ride.

my friend is a wrestler and likes to dig his knuckles into my ribcage to create space. i have no idea what to make of it. apparently wrestlers use it to turn an opponent over if they are on their stomach

ya Trickster thats called a banana split. I wrestled for two years before training bjj and it helps for the most part with balance and control.

As far as actual techniques, almost all of the things you do standing in wrestling can be used in bjj, or slightly adjusted to work in some way.

The things i use most in bjj that I did in wrestling is an armdrag, and also re-dragging off of someones arm drag attempt. A bunch of times in tournaments I have hit switches on people too. If they you can stop them from stepping over your legs or they don't know to step over your legs or re-switch it it works like a charm. Thats something most people in bjj dont know, at least at the lower levels.

I like to use the wrestling escape when im turtled and someones on my back so I just end up in a neutral position.

What everyone said, i'll just add my 2 cents

- Wrestler's front headlock (where u cup the guy's chin below your stomach), from there you can switch to guillotine choke, snap the guy down, and then either turn him over from there or spin to his back
- Granby roll from turtle to recover guard, I've seen people attempt triangles after they roll as well

I hit a spladle on my BJJ instructor....couldnt get the tap though. He's flexible lol.

Granby, switch, chain hip, banana split, any takedown, and what bobbylight said.

Back