Wrestling shoes or martial arts shoes?

penguinsfan

White Belt
Reaction score
Again, I'm brand new to martial arts. I noticed that all the instructors where I'm at wear shoes. The place allows either barefeet (current choice), socks, or wrestling shoes. I picked up a pair of wrestling shoes after I signed up. I figured they might add a little support and reduce the chances of injury.

However, I was telling one guy about them and he recommended I buy actual martial arts or karate shoes. He said they're a little bit smoother right on the ball of the foot, thus allowing for more of a pivot, and he said wrestling shoes are all about grip and may make kicks more difficult.

I have a couple days to return the wrestling shoes where I bought them if that is the thing to do.

MMA largely striking oriented. I've done far more Muay Thai strikes than anything, to this point.

if you are gonna do mma type training then i suggest getting a good pair of wrestling shoes by far. if you are doing muay thai right now, there really is no use for shoes. just get a pair of ankle supports.

wrestling shoes can obviously be used for grappling and are widely substituted for boxing shoes in boxing gyms, not to mention they also look 100 times better than TMA martial arts shoes. just my opinion of course.

if you are gonna do mma type training then i suggest getting a good pair of wrestling shoes by far. if you are doing muay thai right now, there really is no use for shoes. just get a pair of ankle supports.

wrestling shoes can obviously be used for grappling and are widely substituted for boxing shoes in boxing gyms, not to mention also they look 100 times better than TMA martial arts shoes. just my opinion of course.

Could not have said it better.

So far, I've just done bare feet. I haven't worn the shoes because I want to be able to return them, if that's the best thing to do. I'm just worried about lessening the chances of injury, as I'm not a young pup anymore. I noticed all the instructors wear them, so I assumed they're playing it smart/safe.

The only time I could see it adding to the risk of injury is when I plant my balance foot it may not rotate and pivot the way it really should on a bare foot. That was the argument this assistant instructor was making and I can see where he comes from on this point, but perhaps he's overstating the gripping power of the shoe???

wrestling shoes can obviously be used for grappling and are widely substituted for boxing shoes in boxing gyms, not to mention they also look 100 times better than TMA martial arts shoes.

No doubt! :icon_chee Some of those martial arts shoes look awful. I think they're designed so one can strike his opponent while the opponent is caught offguard laughing at the shoes.

In my school most of us wear adidas Samba Indoor Soccer sneakers or something similar, but when we spar it's bare foot. Then again it's not one of the MA's I've seen people here do.

I'd wear the wrestling shoes if I were you. If they're decent and give some good ankle support you'll thank yourself. Just about everyone that ever wrestled/grappled has mangled their ankle one time or another. Just make sure you lace up the ankle part tight so you actually get some benefit from it (I learned my lesson).

Back