wrestling setups

TKMaxx715

saggy pants
@Blue
Reaction score
hey as most of youg uys know.. a takedown without a setup is pretty much impossible. I read haylik's thread on snapdown setups and was hoping for his finish on armdrags but it never came :p. Anyways itd be a lot of help if you could post some setups that you like to use and ill try and add on with my weak excuse of a list after dinner.

It seems too many people focus on the takedown when the setup is just as important

From the collar and elbow clinch I like to grab my opponents arm that's on my neck with both hands and pull down sharply to snap him down, then as he pulls up to get out, let go and shoot for a single on his near leg, which should be on the same side as the arm you pulled. I also like the neck snapdown to a double.

In Judo a lot of guys set up most of their throws with an O-Uchi-Gari, which is basically an inner leg reap.

I do no-gi Judo sometimes, and I find it works a lot from the clinch.

What I've been trying to do alot more of is setting up shots outside of the tie-up. For instance, if I take a step back and to my left, often times the other wrestler's left foot will come forward. I'm trying to pay more attention to how they react to my movements. After that, lower my level, penetrate, and finish.

Back