Wrestling (or no-gi takedown) Books

Glen Sonnabend

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Im looking to take my wrestling game to the next level. I am a jiu jitsu practitioner primarily, and I am looking for any books or DVDs that can help me develop my takedowns. I compete in submission grappling and soon MMA.

Thanks!

I really liked Randy Couture's Wrestling for fighting. For MMA, in particular, greco is the shit. It also translates really well to judo or bjj takedwns.

You can also choose something form here. You just can't go wrong with Dan Gable.

Awesome I did not know Randy had a book out, ill look into it for sure. thanks!

Couture's book is good. But its not really something you can learn from books ... I'd find a local wrestling club (even if its just a high school or preferably college team), and ask if you can watch. They might even give you a few pointers. Learning wrestling from a book is like learning BJJ from a book - you're just not going to get very far without real instruction.

2 of the guys I train with regularly placed in the state for wrestling. Also, one of my coaches is a pretty accomplished wrestler. Basicly the book would be to supplement what I am learning from them, i addition to allowing me "train" off the mat. Randy's book seems awesome, Im gonna pick it up.

Yeah get it, it's a nce book. I haven't taken that much from it as i dont have a wrestling coach but will start applying some to BJJ.

Gene Lebbell has a few books. i have is "pro wrestling" book. which is basically a catch wrestling book

Gene Lebbell has a few books. i have is "pro wrestling" book. which is basically a catch wrestling book

2 of the guys I train with regularly placed in the state for wrestling. Also, one of my coaches is a pretty accomplished wrestler. Basicly the book would be to supplement what I am learning from them, i addition to allowing me "train" off the mat. Randy's book seems awesome, Im gonna pick it up.

Randy's book makes a very good supplement if you've got wrestler's to practice with, definitely worth getting.

Winning Wrestling Moves is a great book. It shows tons of takedowns, rides, pins, reversals/sit outs, etc.

The only thing bad about it is that if you have BJJ books by Victory Belt, and are spoiled with step by step pictures, you might be a little frustrated with this book because generally there are only 2 or so pictures per move. You have to think about it a lot and may have to guess about some hand/foot placements and hip/body movements.

dan gable is the man, you can def learn alot from his vids

There is this new website called YOUTUBE.COM. Type in wrestling takedowns and enjoy.
Less time reading, more time smashing.

Back