Wrestling/MMA knee & elbowpads ok for muay thai?

Marbig

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got told by the coach to buy kneepads today since my training partners and I kept on bumping knees when we were sparring (a result of us both trying to kick at the same time). Since I train no gi 2-3 days, I am also looking to buy some wrestling kneepads to take off some of the strain. My question is, can I buy one set of wrestling kneepads and be set for both or do I require two distinct pairs?

Same question for elbow guards. Again, I would love to take some strain off my joints when doing no gi and would also like to practice elbows (lightly) during sparring.

Also, I heard some of my partners say buying volleyball pads will suffice? Truth or not? Please give me some good brands alongside your suggestions...I am willing to spend a little more if I don't have to rebuy in the next few months.

Wrestleing pads have plastic inserts in them I beleive and volleyball pads are very bulky. I know Venom makex good elbow pads for use in comps, id do a search for knee and elbow pads for kickboxing/muay thai competition. I will post if i come across anything.

On another note I am assuming you are training MMA. Are you training to compete? The reason I ask is that it could be detrimental to your training if you get used to wearing pads. For sparring I think knee pads are a good thing to do if your practicing knees at a considerable power percentage.

As far as elbows go I would tread softly. Elbows are one of those things best kept on the grappling dummies and bags IMO. Plus you dont need a human target to perfect them lol. If i find some links for pads I'll post in an edit.

EDIT: Try Ring To Cage they have elbow and knee pads on the cheap that should suffice. For Rolling to take stress of your joints id just thick neoprene supporters for knees and elbows. Itll give you ligt protection and help your joints a bit. A guy in BJJ class at my gym uses one for a surgery elbow, he swears by it.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Got told by the coach to buy kneepads today since my training partners and I kept on bumping knees when we were sparring (a result of us both trying to kick at the same time). Since I train no gi 2-3 days, I am also looking to buy some wrestling kneepads to take off some of the strain. My question is, can I buy one set of wrestling kneepads and be set for both or do I require two distinct pairs?

Same question for elbow guards. Again, I would love to take some strain off my joints when doing no gi and would also like to practice elbows (lightly) during sparring.

Also, I heard some of my partners say buying volleyball pads will suffice? Truth or not? Please give me some good brands alongside your suggestions...I am willing to spend a little more if I don't have to rebuy in the next few months.

please tell me these elbow and knee pads are not for rugburn

Wrestleing pads have plastic inserts in them I beleive and volleyball pads are very bulky. I know Venom makex good elbow pads for use in comps, id do a search for knee and elbow pads for kickboxing/muay thai competition. I will post if i come across anything.

On another note I am assuming you are training MMA. Are you training to compete? The reason I ask is that it could be detrimental to your training if you get used to wearing pads. For sparring I think knee pads are a good thing to do if your practicing knees at a considerable power percentage.

As far as elbows go I would tread softly. Elbows are one of those things best kept on the grappling dummies and bags IMO. Plus you dont need a human target to perfect them lol. If i find some links for pads I'll post in an edit.

EDIT: Try Ring To Cage they have elbow and knee pads on the cheap that should suffice. For Rolling to take stress of your joints id just thick neoprene supporters for knees and elbows. Itll give you ligt protection and help your joints a bit. A guy in BJJ class at my gym uses one for a surgery elbow, he swears by it.

You don

Brute sells knee pads that work fine for MT. They are a bit on the bulkier side but it doesn't really bother me.

This is MY OPINION,

Elbows don't need to be used on a human target to train on. Elbows are the most devastating strike you can land bar none. A heavy bag, grappling dummy, Thai bag or focus mitts is all you need to hone your elbows. I don't usually practice them in sparring, or let them do them to me and if we do its ridiculously slow mo.

I would think as long as the technique is there that practicing elbows on the bag (which i do) will be fine. YMMV. Just make sure your sparring partner KNOWS YOUR INTENTIONS.

I agree with you, I am lucky to have a great teacher and sparring partners but I was just curious about how elbows don

This is MY OPINION,

Elbows don't need to be used on a human target to train on. Elbows are the most devastating strike you can land bar none. A heavy bag, grappling dummy, Thai bag or focus mitts is all you need to hone your elbows. I don't usually practice them in sparring, or let them do them to me and if we do its ridiculously slow mo.

I would think as long as the technique is there that practicing elbows on the bag (which i do) will be fine. YMMV. Just make sure your sparring partner KNOWS YOUR INTENTIONS.

I disagree. When you're in elbow range, so is your opponent. Dummies don't elbow back. Also the dynamic is different from moderate sparring and slow motion practicing. When practicing elbows, you should have headgear and pads and make sure to spar moderately.

I disagree. When you're in elbow range, so is your opponent. Dummies don't elbow back. Also the dynamic is different from moderate sparring and slow motion practicing. When practicing elbows, you should have headgear and pads and make sure to spar moderately.

I agree. Moderate sparring with protection. What I stated is you do not need to hit a person to hone them. You could easily do a glow drill with each person holding one focus mit. In sparring I don't wear headgear I just vsseline my face and gloves. Which is MY PREFFERENCE! So again YMMV.

There is always a safe and unsafe way to do things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back