Wrestling in grad school

beachgrappler

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Question to any college athletes or anyone familiar with college wrestling. I wrestled in high school for four years in NJ and placed in my district every year, which is pretty decent for a state like New Jersey. I have been taking BJJ for awhile now and will be graduating with my undergrad next year. My university does not currently have a wrestling program but i am thinking about attempting to wrestle for another university when i enroll for my MBA (masters) degree next year. Anyone think this is a plausible transition or would i be over my head. I was a solid high school wrestler but never really thought about college wrestling. BJJ has really brought my grappling to an other level and has sparked my interest of college wrestling. Thanks for any replies or advice.

I know wrestlers who have carried eligibility into grad school and continued to compete, but that's sort of a different situation since they were already members of the team. Nevertheless, you can always give it a shot - if you're a part of the university, you can generally compete on it's sports teams as long as you still have ncaa eligibility.

ty for the input, i am going to give it a shot. i feel that a few things from bjj can help me in my wrestling.

What are you majoring in?

My advice is to work at least 2 years before getting your MBA. Otherwise you have nothing to draw upon and you can't utilize the degree to it's full potential. It's almost a waste to do it otherwise.

Try getting contact info for the coaches at the school you plan on attending. Ask them if they do try outs or walk ons.

its probabaly easier to pull this off if you're a heavyweight... its not uncommon to see a football player or huge weight liftin high school wrestlers decide to use up their ncaa eligibility or give making a team a shot. also its becoming a little more common to see veterns on ncaa team with a big gap from their last high school competition

I think elegibility will now be based on age, becasue you ahve completed your undergrad. Good luck, I hope you will be able to participate.:icon_chee

if you still have eligibility (you burn eligibility while in college even if youre not on a team, but if you graduated in 4 years, you still have a year of eligibility) you can wrestle in grad school, its done all the time. if you graduated in 5 years, sorry its over. read below.

as for whether you can compete, how should i know? its certainly not out of the realm of possibility. sometimes i think time away makes you better.

breakdown of eligibility rules:

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact.

The second rule above may or may not be an issue for some players. In some cases, a player will turn 21 during their last year of junior. If so, a player cannot continue playing once their 21st birthday occurs if they are inline for the NCAA the following season. If they do continue to play, the player will lose a year of eligibility - again something that most coaches aren't that keen on when recruiting a prospective athlete.

You have 5 years to wrestle 4 years. The clock starts the 1st time you take 12 units or more but you can still Wrestle 2 years at a JC if you never wrestled in College before.

Back