wrestling grips and sweat

subbass

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
trying to get my awful wresting skills up, I have a question for people with a wrestling background..

after the first couple of rounds when guys are nice and slippery my arm drags, russian two on one(especially this), collar ties are almost impossible for me to establish the grip long enough to be useful. we all know most wrestlers are strong as hell, are their grips just so strong after years of practice that they can hold on to these grips regardless of sweat? and if a guy is so slippery what is your strategy for getting a takedown. feint/snapdown to a shot is all i got if I cant get grips.

Snap downs, body attacks, or finishing real high on the hips with your leg attacks.

Like dirty holt said, even though I've been able to hold down a guy even when sweaty.
You can post/club, heavy hands on his head, level change a few times to mess with his head, or even circling will expose a leg as he steps for your sweep singles.

All of that and actual positioning on your shots and tie ups matters whole lot more. If your posture and body position is good it will help. I usually was good at keeping underhooks or being able to use them. Part of it is developing a good clench/monkey paw grip

They should just allow you to chalk the shit out of your hands for no-gi

Oh i know. I'm working on it. I'm just bitter because my hairy-ass hobbit arms have decent friction no matter how much sweat there is.

I've been working on this in sparring. The country I train in can get humid as hell and copious amounts sweat is an everyday grappling obstacle.

I never really felt that collar ties were too difficult even when your partner has a head full of sweat, so long as i was ensuring that my own (considerably large) head was in between my partner's neck and shoulder. I guess it's a natural instinct to push back, so whatever grips/friction I don't have with my hands, I make up for with head pressure. Also useful to get a single underhook. From there I level change-and-shoot, duck under or arm drag-level change-and-shoot (this one is rare though but I don't find that much success with arm drags). Recently finding a lot of success with the front head lock where I can control the head with my bicep and forearm.

I've been working on this in sparring. The country I train in can get humid as hell and copious amounts sweat is an everyday grappling obstacle.

I never really felt that collar ties were too difficult even when your partner has a head full of sweat, so long as i was ensuring that my own (considerably large) head was in between my partner's neck and shoulder. I guess it's a natural instinct to push back, so whatever grips/friction I don't have with my hands, I make up for with head pressure. Also useful to get a single underhook. From there I level change-and-shoot, duck under or arm drag-level change-and-shoot (this one is rare though but I don't find that much success with arm drags). Recently finding a lot of success with the front head lock where I can control the head with my bicep and forearm.

You're doing your collar ties wrong. You either want to be forehead to forehead or your forehead in his temple. Putting your head in his shoulder/neck is just a stalling tactic.

You're doing your collar ties wrong. You either want to be forehead to forehead or your forehead in his temple. Putting your head in his shoulder/neck is just a stalling tactic.

Oh is it? Well I stand corrected then. Maybe I have been using it to stall after all! I don't usually hit many moves if I'm forehead to forehead unless it's to snap him down into a front headlock.

Oh is it? Well I stand corrected then. Maybe I have been using it to stall after all! I don't usually hit many moves if I'm forehead to forehead unless it's to snap him down into a front headlock.

Sorry I should have worded better. That position is fine ,but there are better positions for your head placement. I used to do the same thing and my coaches would yell at me to the point they wouldn't let me collar tie anymore since you gain no advantage from that position, it's 50/50. Forehead to forehead allows you to blast double easier.

Sorry I should have worded better. That position is fine ,but there are better positions for your head placement. I used to do the same thing and my coaches would yell at me to the point they wouldn't let me collar tie anymore since you gain no advantage from that position, it's 50/50. Forehead to forehead allows you to blast double easier.
It's not even a 50/50. I call it the JV leg slap because kids will just lock up ear to ear then slap at each other's legs. Pretending to shoot

It's not even a 50/50. I call it the JV leg slap because kids will just lock up ear to ear then slap at each other's legs. Pretending to shoot

LOL yeah thats my biggest complaint against it.... except even when I did it, i'd be banging down on the head and do a real shoot ,but it really does limit your offense.

What exercises wrestlers use to get their grip stronger?

I grapple against judo guys and i lose the handfight everytime because i can't escape grips or expose myself trying to escape.
Some guys have a vice like grip, it drains your energy.

I thought about buying a thick rope to climb because pull ups are not working for me.
Or maybe i just need to wrestle more?

Back