Wrestling glossary. Terms, moves, etc.

Bubble Boy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There's a lot of knowledgable wrestlers in this forum. I'm hoping you guys can contribute to this thread by listing everything you can about the terms and names of moves in wrestling, including the point systems, etc.
Although I have personal reasons for wanting to compile this info (assisting the high school wrestling coach with only judo in my background, no wrestling), I think the data may help others here in the grappling forum also.

Here's the things I'm looking for:
Names of throws, takedowns. i.e., what's a high crotch? etc.
What's considered a reversal, an escape?
I'm still not sure I understand this whole near fall business.
How do you get points?
What's good mat manners?
Names of other moves, hand placements, etc.
Famous wrestlers and why are they famous...
And anything else you can think of. You get the idea.

If you can relate the techniques to judo or bjj it would be great. If not, fine.

Basically I'm inviting you to ramble on about wrestling, to create a glossary, even a dictionary that some of us can utilize, or go back to in the future, or refer others to when the beginnig of H.S. wrestling season rolls around again!

I know that if somebody asked me to do this kind of thing for judo, I could go on for days and pages. I'm hoping you guys feel the same way about wrestling.

Thanks in advance.

Oh boy. Honestly it would take hours upon hours to go into detail and list the minute details of scoring, techniques, history of folkstyle (high school and collegiate style), freestyle, and greco-roman wrestling. Your best bet would be to go to your local library or book store and pick up a general picture book on wrestling. It will have step-by-step moves and the general rules. I believe Dan Gable has one out (Gable is widely considered the best coach and one of the greatest wrestlers in American history).

satchmo said:
Oh boy. Honestly it would take hours upon hours to go into detail and list the minute details of scoring, techniques, history of folkstyle (high school and collegiate style), freestyle, and greco-roman wrestling. Your best bet would be to go to your local library or book store and pick up a general picture book on wrestling. It will have step-by-step moves and the general rules. I believe Dan Gable has one out (Gable is widely considered the best coach and one of the greatest wrestlers in American history).

Ok, fair enough. Let me start with this.
What's a high crotch?

Bubble Boy said:
Ok, fair enough. Let me start with this.
What's a high crotch?

There are a few variations of the high crotch but a basic version would be to have an inside open tie on your opponent, which means your hands are on the inside of his biceps controlling his arms. You set up the move by getting him to step forward with one foot, we'll use his right foot for this example. When he steps you simultaneously elevate his left arm with your left arm, clearing it and allowing you to shoot in onto your right knee. Your right hand briefly splits between his legs and hooks onto the back of his upper hamstring (hence the name high crotch). As soon as you have positioned yourself (shouldn't be longer than a split second, otherwise you give him an opportunity to counter), optimally with your right ear on his hip, head held high, you should switch to a double leg and drive him to your right using your head/neck to push him. You can finish either by lifting the double leg, collapsing the far leg by buckling the knee, or by swinging your left leg around and hooking it behind his right leg, resulting in a backwards trip.

72 pages of instruction and no pictures?!?!! ugh...

High crotch.... So many puns - so little time....

Back